Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bear Defense

Default Best Bear Defense

Just curious what you guys prefer for bear defense. Would you guys prefer; bear spray, a pistol (if so specify caliber), or a 12 gauge shotgun? Interested to see what everyone prefers.

ear preicing noise

If your talking straight bear defense I would say a 12 gauge with slugs but if your talking something ez for archery I carry a 44 ruger super blackhawk. I think it would be pretty difficult to carry a bow and any sort of long gun at the same time.

Default Best defense!!!!

Common sense and an awareness of your environment is your best defense.However, I carry a .44 mag but that is more for Dr. Murphy than it is for bear.

Default ditto

I agree with arky, I do the exact same thing

Normally I'll carry my 12 gauge with slugs. The 18" barrel makes it fairly compact and easier to carry. I have not made the investment in a handgun, yet. When I'm hiking trails around lots of people, such as Chugach State Park, I carry bear spray as does my wife. But as others have said, I rely on using my head more than anything. This year I went on a solo archery moose hunt. Carrying a bow and a shotgun around was out of the question, so I had bear spray on my belt. I saw a ton of bear sign, mostly in the areas where I was seeing the most moose sign as well. Seeing that much bear sign made me paranoid enough to stay out of the woods before it got light in the morning and to leave before it got too dark at night. Just had to remember to be aware of my surroundings and not get too focused on hunting moose.

Default none of them

You really dont need any of those for Bear Defense, just make sure your not the slowest runner in the group and you will be a-okay.

You don't even have to be a fast runner, just trip the guy next to you before you take off.
    I vote pistol, easy to carry along with a bow. I shot a grizz with mine this fall , he didn't make it ten feet. Of corse its a 475 linebaugh, so it packs kind'of a wallop, on both ends.

John

So if I was going to invest in a good bear pistol for future hunts. What caliber would you guys think is the best that you could shoot rapidly and accurately?

the question is which one YOU can shoot most accurately.
    i opt for a heightened sense of awareness, bear spray, or my .338, in that order.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Smile best pistol for you

The best pistol is hard to say, I guess what you can afford and shoot accuratly. I like mine, a freedom arms revolver in 475 linebaugh. Super accurate 1.5 inch groups at 100 yrds. They are pretty spendy (I got mine used) but the're quality, your grand kids could be shooting it someday. Unless the liberals get their way of course. The big bores can be a challenge to shoot because of the heavy recoil. As far as shooting fast if you make your first shot count you won't have to worry about the next one so much.
    I've learned if I'm going to spend the money I might as well get something I'll be happy with and that will last a long time.

Default Rifle,shotgun,pistol

If I were fishing,my first choice would be a high powered rifle with a heavy bullet and no scope. There are many calibers that will drop a bruin--but stick with something fast--semi auto or pump--or perhaps even lever action if you're used to them and confident with them. My second choice would be a pump or semi auto shotgun with slugs. There are quick release slings available. A pistol "might" be more practical when bow hunting. And it might be faster to get your hands on in some situations--although not as accurate in practical terms--and usually not as powerful. Your choice,ultimately.

I carry a Ruger New Super Blackhawk 44 mag loaded with 320 gr HC Alaskan Backpackers. It makes me feel safe when i'm out bowhunting and that's enough of a reason for me to bring it along.

Default striker unit from ft. rich would be nice

depends on what i'm doing, when bowhunting i have moved from 44 to 454 now 500 S & W (easier to shoot than .454 was)
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Take someone that can run as fast as you.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Guys this whole issue is way over blown. You have more to fear from 2 legged predators than any bear! In short use your head, a pistol is useless unless your willing to put in the needed range time, few are! And whats with all the paranoia anyway?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

.454 Casull

Default M.E.

.500 S&W has more muzzle energy than a 45-70. Do you need something that big? The Smith 629 Backpacker or Alaskan .44 mag is a great gun, easy to carry because of its short barrel, and a ton of knockback power at short range. Not nearly the power of the .500, 480, or even the 454 Casull, but decide what scenarios you will want it in. For knocking a blackie out of your tree as he comes up to check you out, a .45 semi is probably sufficient. If you're trying to knock down an adrenalized grizz thats a little sore about the arrow you just stuck into him, then you want the biggest gun you are comfortable carrying. Be prayed up, too! There are many stories of bears riddled with .375 or .338 slugs that have gone ahead to kill the hunter before dying, proving that even the heaviest handgun on the market may not be enough in all situations. However, you can certainly cut the odds by carrying the most gun you can handle well.

Back to the .44 mag. I have a friend who has shot and killed several mature bull moose with his at up to 100 yards. Its a Smith 629 with 6 inch barrel. Always full penetration and exit. So I'm very confident carrying a shorter barrel 44.

The shotgun is out because I'd never pack it when hunting. I have carried spray at times when I didn't feel like carrying a heavy handgun. Finally picked up a Ruget Blackhawk in 41 mag with a 4.75" barrel that is light & a pleasure to carry. With a stout load & heavy hardcast bullets I figure it will do the job.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I carry a Glock 29 (10mm) with hot 200 grain Buffalo rounds. It's about the equivilent of a 41 mag but holds 11 rounds and I'm familiar with Glocks. It's light weight, very durable, and carries easy. The key is to have the weapon where you can access it at any time and practice with it. Finally, it needs to be well greased just in case the bear gets a drop on you.

I finally picked up the book "Bear Tales" at the aiport the other day. Whew. After reading that book I think the only defense is a suicide bombers vest...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast