Thread: L1A1 Fal Sporter Rifle .308 cal

Default L1A1 Fal Sporter Rifle .308 cal

I have the chance to pick one up for $460. I was just wondering if this was a good deal or not. The person says its in perfect condition and comes with 4 mags. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tnjquinones View Post
    I have the chance to pick one up for $460. I was just wondering if this was a good deal or not. The person says its in perfect condition and comes with 4 mags. Thanks
    Thats not to bad even if it was not in that great of shape. Recievers go for $200 plus and kits go for at least $200 now too, not counting US parts and assembly fees. Get it

This is an interesting rifle, made morre interesting by your sporter nemonic.

I don't know the Fn Fal L1A1 rifle to be a sporter or even have a sporter version.

There are two basic rifles, the selective fire metric version used all over the world, and the British version used (formerly) by the Brits and Australia and is semi-auto. These cannot be imported any more and there were some parts bun, Austrailian parts, made up a few years back.

The rifle is extremely rugged and durable with a very good reputation for reliable function. It is simple to operate and disassemble requiring only a minimum of tools. The gas regulator needs to be cleaned on occasion and other points of normal care but it is actually a very good rifle. The most common complaint about the gun is the weight but it is balanced well and carries easy with a cross shoulder strap. I've spent some time with one in a far away land back many years ago and the rifle performed very well for me.

If your $450 price tag is for one of these L1A1 rifles you would be stealing it as they are worth three times the money and more, much more depending on type and condition. Go for it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default FAL Sporter

If it's a Century L1A1 with the thumbhole stock - that would be the 'sporter' configuration that would be in this price range - I've seen a couple of versions of this. The one with the Imbel reciever is normally well made. The one I have uses metric magazines. I'd buy one of these at this price.
    The version with a century cast reciever has a reputation of not being all that reliable, but the proof is in the firing. If you can, try before you buy.
    If it's a 'Hesse' then I recommend leaving it. Most other makes are usually pretty good. I believe Springfield Armory made a thumbhole buttstock version also, but they generally command a huge price tag.

If it is a thumbhole stock 'sporter' - beware of just swapping out the stock for a pistol grip and regular buttstock. There are rules about part content that have to be followed or you could have a weapon that gets you in trouble. Holler if you need some direction on how to do this and keep it legal.

TTFN

Default l1a1

Get it and don't even think about losing it..................
    www.dsarms.com and hit the google for fn fal for sale,
    I have had one for eight years, easy to clean, easy to shoot, reasonably accurate ; standard 'combat accuracy' of 2 inches at 100 yards with iron sights.
    Start snatching up those metric mags before they disappear. Used ones work great.
    Don't know about the aluminum Israeli.
    Granted, the M1a/m14 shoots easier , the ar10/25 shoots more accurately and less recoil, BUT, go ahead and find either of these for that 460.00 and then check out the prices of the magazines!!!!
    I have had the opportunity to shoot various assault/ battle rifles, I love my FN FAL, especially when I want to clean it or adjust the gas bleed to a bolt action rifle.
    I cannot praise it enough, just get it, match ammo, dsa receiver base for scope, I expect minute of angle for three round groups, yes the trigger is not for precision shooting, fine, get used to it and realize you have an excellent rugged powerful hunting accurate fun to shoot classic.
    I didn't go overboard did I? At least I did not compare it to the Swede!!

Default Fn fal

It was aptly named "the right arm of freedom" and is a great main battle rifle. The Brits went back to their "sand cut" FNs when the missions were in the bad lands. DSA and Imbel (Brazilian) receivers are the best. Century started selling sporters with Imbel receivers. There are 3 types of receivers, weight wise and the Imbel (type 3) was the heaviest and most rigid.

Type 1 and 2's have lightening cuts.

The Brit L1A and L2As have different furniture and use shims to time the barrel with the receiver.

If we hadn't rammed the 308 down NATO's throat and listened to the Brits (280) or the Brazilians (7mm)... then 223 poodle shooters wouldn't have born. Then again, if the 276 Pedersen had been chosen for the Garand, then a lot of things would be different.

Buy it at $460.00 you can't go wrong its probably a century arms rifle if it has a sand cut bolt folding cocking handle and rear sights that fold down it is a inch or L1A1 model, if its built on a Imbel receiver big plus since they sell for $400.00 or more alone. If built on a century Receiver check the feed ramp widows peak looks like two U,s side by side which is desirable or if it the unibrow one which is just U shaped and has more feed problems . Be sure and have the head space checked before shooting.Feel free to call me about Fals I have built two metric kits my phone no is 907-581-1492.
    If you decide you don't want it pm me might as well have a Inch model to round things out .
    Jerry

Default l1a1 fn fal

So did you get it???

Default L1A1 Sporter

A buddy of mine and I bought two of these battle rifles about 15 years ago with the thumbhole stocks. They are stamped L1A1 Sporter on the reciever and say made in Canada. I think they are parts guns, but seem to be put together well. My buddy sold his to a Soldotna Police Department Officer who carried it in his trunk for many years. I still have mine and love it. I think you will be happy with it.

Did you get it or not? Dibs if you didn't.