Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best copper cleaning agent

Default best copper cleaning agent

What do you guys use to clean your rifle for copper fowling? I need to get some and go though my rifles and was wondering what people are using. All that I have used in the past is hoppes number 9 bench rest cleaner.

I used to use Tetra which was okay, but I've recently switched to Sweet's which seems to work better.

I do a barrel cleaning with MPro-7 first to get rid of the carbon and to strip any oils that may inhibit the Sweet's from contacting the copper.

After I get the copper cleaned out, I clean it again with the MPro-7 to clear any ammonia, then a quick swab with Break-Free CLP.
    Now what ?

WipeOut is the only way to go!

Default Sweet's

was one of the first ammonia based copper fouling removers and I think it is still the best. Formulated by a target shooter. Just don't breathe too deeply near it.

Thats the beauty of WipeOut, no elbow grease and no stench of ammonia. Just foam it up and walk away. Come back a few hours later and run a jag w/ patch through and all the copper (blue) comes out on the patch. If its fouled bad you can do the process twice.

Default copper

I use straight old cheap 100%ammonia. Clean it up good afterwards. It works best for me. wash your copper brush afterwards. Use a drenched wool swab or patch then the brush then oil after several patches to clean the ammonia out.

i use barnes cr10 which works on stubborn fouling......and actually removes it!

remember, with the aggressive copper removers follow directions and leave it in the bore only as long as suggested. after cleaning and dry patching,be sure to "oil" your bore as the amonia will strip any protection that may be there. this will allow rust to form on unprotected metal.

lastly, don't mix or cross-contaminate bore cleaners as that may "frost" your bore. this is a chemical reaction that WILL cause damage that can't be fixed. if you use another solvent before or after the copper remover be sure to dry patch between applications.

i have been using these with my sniper rifle for years without the slightest problem.......just use some precautions.

happy trails.
    jh

I use Butch's Bore Shine, it is a lot of work but gets the job done. It comes with directions.

The wipeout mention below sounds interesting. I might give that a try.

Wipeout...then Eezox.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I use Sweet's 7.62. It stinks to high heaven, but it works well.

Seriously guys, I would never have believed how good Wipeout worked after years of using the stinky and messy Barnes CR-10 and Sweets and all the scrubbing , nylon brushes, copper brushes ,lots of patches, and many chances to damage the crown or throat.....it sucked. The idea that I could foam my bore and walk away and come back later (and theres no time limit guys, you can leave it in there overnight if you want) and then run a patch through and its clean with none of the above work, was mind boggling to me. If you havent tried WipeOut.....you need to!

Default Convert to Wipeout

+1, Wipeout. This stuff is excellent. Wipeout is also the solution to breaking in barrels. Since I have changed over to Wipeout, I spend much less time and $ cleaning. Highly recommend this product. Take what you think is a clean barrel and do the Wipeout test and you too will become a believer.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I'll have to try wipeout. I've been using a combination of Barnes CR-10 and JB bore compound, but anything that works better I'm all ears.

I use Sweets 7.62

Default Wipeout

Try it and you will never go back to amonia based cleaners.

I used to use Sweets 7.62 and for really bad copper fouling I'd use JB Bore Paste. That is... until I discovered Wipeout. These guys aren't kidding. This stuff is fantastic! Here's my cleaning procedure.

Run a bronze brush dipped in Shooter's Choice or Butch's Bore Shine one time down and back out of the barrel. Then a wet patch dipped in the same stuff to remove the loose fouling followed by one more patch (sometimes two) to dry the bore.

Then I place a ziplock sandwich bag over the muzzle of the rifle and secure it with a rubber band. Insert my Sinclair bore guide and shoot the wipeout into the end of the bore guide til the foam starts comes out the muzzle and into the bag.

Since the Wipeout foam turns into a liquid after a few minutes, I set the rifle in a relatively horizontal position so it won't all drain back into the action or out of the barrel. After an hour or so, I rotate the rifle 180 degrees so the liquid coats the other half of the barrel. After another hour or so I again rotate the rifle but this time only 90 degrees to make sure everything gets covered and finally I rotate it one more time in the other direction. Essentially I split the barrel into four quadrants and after the fourth rotation, I let it set like it is all night long. The next day after work I run some dry patches through to get out all the Wipeout and I'm done.

This is much, much easier than all that brushing and scrubbing I used to do to clean the gun and the Mrs. doesn't object to the smell or mess.

I'll never go back to the old school cleaning method for any of my rifles or pistols again. This is way too easy and effective.

Thumbs up new trick

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'll have to try wipeout. I've been using a combination of Barnes CR-10 and JB bore compound, but anything that works better I'm all ears.
    It's hard to teach this ol' dog new tricks, but I've been doing like Paul has, and it sounds like I'll have to break down and give this one a try. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Mate I have used Sweets for thirty years until I came across BORE TECH, its made in the States, non corrosive solvent. Its easy to use and takes about twenty minutes max to have your barrel copper free and i mean copper free.

G'day mate! I'm a longtime visitor to Aussieland. Back in 84 I was working with the RAAF at Edinburgh near Adelaide. I became good friends with a senior tech sergeant that shot competitively. I used his 6PPC to win a match with the SSAA. Don't remember what that stands for anymore or if they even still exist. Some Australian shooting journal did a little article on it. I've been back several times since then most recently hunting buff in Arnhemland. Welcome to the boards

Anyway, I like and use BoreTech also. Been using several of their products for many years. I like there new formulations that are a complete 1 chemical process. Cleans carbon and copper and storage rust preventative, all in one bottle. Totally green now too.

http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

Did a search after writing the above and it looks like the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia still exists!
    http://www.ssaasa.org.au/

Second edit: Just remembered that I bought my great shooting Anschutz 1432 22 Hornet there. You had no import duty on West German goods making it less than 50% of here in the states. The exchange worked out to about $400 USD.
    Last edited by Ed M; 10-21-2008 at 12:09. Reason: added SSAA link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast