Thread: My New Machine/Opinions

Default My New Machine/Opinions

I sold my 02 Summit and bought my Father in laws 03 Yamaha Mountain Viper 700 triple. Its in AWESOME condition, he's a freak about maintenance and rides nice and easy on his machines. Its got a 3 into 1 pipe, a can, skidplate, aftermarket ski's, it's been clutched a little. Anyway, I've only ridden this sled one time and it was awesome to me, but what do you other guys know or hear about this sled, good, bad??? I know its isn't a new summit, Sno-pro, or dragon, but it's all I can swing for right now.

I've had a couple of good friends who've ridden Vipers. You have every reason to be happy. You've got the best 2-stroke Yamaha they made. Solid engine, good brakes, good chassis...that machine had it all. The new rider forward technology replaced the Viper but that doesn't make it any less capable than it was on the day it was introduced. You've got a great sled. Have fun with it.

Default have fun

ride like ya stole it and have fun!!! Thats what it is all about!!

That sled is hands down the best trailing arm sled ever produced IMHO. The 700 tripple is an absolutly sick motor! My cousin has one and there are few sleds that sound as mean as that one when the front end comes up and pulls the exhaust out of the snow! My cousins had the 121 and he wen't pretty much avery where with it like that. Eventually he put a tunnel extension on and upped it to a 136 and geared it down. That mod really woke it up in the mountains. You will be happy with that sled and I doubt you will have any problems keeping up with the new fangled rider forward sleds.

Thumbs up

A friend of mine had the short track Yamaha triple/triple (SRX?) and it was SCARY fast. I don't know how much hp that thing was putting out, but it was impressive.

You probably won't hang with the newer big sleds (156"+), but it will be a nice ride for ya. My old 700 RMK 136" was king of the hill back in '98, but now it almost qualifies as a short track trail sled! I get left at the bottom fairly often now or I have to REALLY work at getting to where my buddies go easily.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default awesome

This is awesome stuff to hear!. Thanks guys for the input. I think I'll have to ride my trailing arm sled atleast a few years untill I step up to the new technology, but this kind of sled is all I've known and riding is still one of the most exciting things to go do for me, so the trailing arm sleds are just fine by me!!. My father in law whom I got the sled from just bought a brand new M8 Sno-Pro with the 153" and it is truly SICK!. I was looking at the new sleds in a catalog and theres a new one with TURBO at 177 HP, I can't believe that!. I'm seeing that "Boosted" sleds are the new thing to have. Ok, thanks for the input, I'm gonna go open the garage now just to sit on my sled again and just smile!!!

I keep looking at those on craigslist for their great fuel economy. Would take a bit of money to make it better in the deep stuff, ie Holz skid or even an Edge RMK one. Good buy nonetheless.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I have the 700 mountain max 141" and it rides ausome i have tripple pipes on it though and it takes off like a rocket it does more then just keep up with my rmk 900 you'll have a blast i promise

Default hey

Thanks for the input fellas!!. Yeah, she's sittin in my garage right now shining like a diamond, I've started it few time just to hear it run. I leave for vacation Sunday, but when I get back Nov 12th I plan on taking it somewhere to ride!!. My wife keeps yelling at me because everytime I start the sled the 2 stroke smoke seeps into the house, I love the smell of a 2 stroke, but her............in the house.........NOT SO MUCH. I think this sled will do just fine. I get kinda annoyed when talking to some of these guys with new Dragons and Rev's and Mountain Cats, they act like an 03 Viper with trailing arms is an iron anchor thats incapable of or not worthy of going into the mountains. I admit, the new sleds are technologicaly superior to mine, but geez. I also don't think the machine makes the rider. I know a few guys with new sleds who will never ride it like it was designed for, they simply have it because it makes them appear to be hardcore riders, but when it comes time to act the part, they always have some excuse as to why they won't or can't. We call them posers.