Thread: Where to start? Hunt 08

Default Where to start? Hunt 08

Hello hunters,

Im new to Alaska and very interested in Float hunting. Ive seen some dvds and hopefully will bebable to do a hunt for moose next year.

Where should I start? Ive looked on some sites about hunt planners. Have any of you all used Pristine ventures or Lost creek? Would like some recommendations for planners, books, videos etc..

Who is the best? Would like to hear from anyone that has had experiences with any of the hunt planners mentioned.

Thanks,
    Moore

Default used both

I have used both and would recommend that you go with Lost Creek. The attention to detail and service is Great, contact Mike and get a copy of his book.

Click on one of the links that will guide you to the store for this web site. Plenty of books and movies that will help you. Michael Strahan posts here as well and also put out a VERY NICE float hunting book. I'm thinking most of your questions should be answered in that book.

Default hunt planners

I have used Pristine Ventures the past 5 yrs in a row. I have never had a problem with gear (its top notch). I have never had a problem with logistcs such as pilots & the like. Communication is great & both before & after the hunt. Pristine Ventures has always been spot on with reccomendations & realistic chance of success. I can only offer my view of Pristine Ventures as it the only one I have used. They really are a true wilderness adventure company & they are very good at what they do. They work very well with the buisnesses they use & I dont hear them talk down the competion,all in all a very profesional company. I have taken moose,caribou & wolf. Although I havent shot any moose the past few year its only because I want one bigger than the 2 60" that I have already(grin)

On a side note I looked into the Lost Creek company in the Alaska Division of Occupational License search http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/...ch/BusMain.cfm & noticed that the are not showing up in the records search till 1999. I know there ad say 1992 not sure if they are exaggerating their experiance or time in buisness.

The Lost Creek Company also seems to have an expired buisness license as well
    LicNum: 405188
    Business Name: LOST CREEK COMPANY
    Address: ANCHORAGE AK 99507
    Original Issue: 04/27/1999
    Current Issue: 07/27/2001
    Expiration: 12/31/2002
    Business Type: CORPORATION
    Tobacco Endorsements: 0
    Line Of Business: Arts, Entertainment and Recreation
    Primary Activity: 713991
    Secondary Activity:
    Owners: LOST CREEK COMPANY

maybe they will chime in here & clear it up(could be just paper work or something)

I cked Pristine Ventures they seem to be gtg
    LicNum: 913093
    Business Name: PRISTINE VENTURES INC
    Address: PO BOX 83909 FAIRBANKS AK 99708
    Original Issue: 03/20/2008
    Current Issue:
    Expiration: 12/31/2008
    Business Type: CORPORATION
    Tobacco Endorsements: 0
    Line Of Business: Arts, Entertainment and Recreation
    Primary Activity: 713910
    Secondary Activity:
    Owners: PRISTINE VENTURES INC

If I seem biased well I am PV has always done right by me & thats the best kind of advertising word of mouth.

Get Larry's DVD Foat Hunting Alaska Vol 1. ITs a great video. I wish he had put it out prior to my float hunt. I would also recommend his hunt planning services.

Default Business license

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    ...maybe they will chime in here & clear it up(could be just paper work or something)...
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the post concerning the status of my business license. For what it's worth, I hired a bookkeeper a while back and some of the paperwork is trickling through the renewal process. There's no real issue here.

As to the note concerning when I started providing hunt consultation, my business grew out of something I was doing FOR FREE for many years. Eventually it started taking so much time that my wife put her foot down and said we better start charging for it or quit (imagine that)! So I hunt out my shingle as a business owner and the rest is history. Hope that clears up your question.

If you're a business owner I'm sure you realize how many permits, licenses and other papers have to change hands just to keep the lights on. It's unreal. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it. But then when your hunters come back and talk about how things went in the field, you get excited and it all starts over again.... and again... and again.

I got into this because I love helping folks experience Alaska. I have assisted many Alaska residents over the years, but my favorite thing is when someone calls who has never been here. If I ever get to where I'm tired of that, I think I will call it quits.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. Hope I have answered your question.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I too am new to Alaska, been here a year today, any how I have'nt used either of the two, but all I hear on these boards is good things about lost creek, and only once heard of Pristine ventures. Will be easy to contact Mikes clientel as they post here frequently.
    Paul

Pristine Ventures is a sponsor of this site and he has his own website at
    http://www.pristineventures.com/cgi/...oard.pl?,c=gen I've used him twice and I can tell you he is first rate, no BS and no fluff.

And count me as another forum member who has never met Mike, but has benefited from his knowledge and info sharing.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-21-2008 at 15:59. Reason: referenced deleted material

Jeff P has a great comment about how Larry Bartlett never puts down his competitor. I have spoken with both alot, I was going to do a float hunt with Pristine ventures last year but he was too booked. I know Bartlett through some classes and other things, He is a great guy that wont let you down on what he says.

As for Lost Creek Company, I was going through that business but because of complications I pulled out.

To you Akgame I would recommend going through Pristine Ventures. He wont over load himself, he has a certain amount of hunts to my understanding that he tries to book every year and doesnt go over them because he believes in providing each group with the same amount of time and research as he did for the last. Another words I dont think Mr. Bartlett is in it for the money, He wants people to experience Alaska and have a memorable trip. He is a no bull**** kind of guy.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-21-2008 at 16:00.

Guys, we're walking a fine line here on the forum rules regarding comments of a personal nature. If you have feedback in line with the question posed, please share it. If you have negative personal comments, please keep them to yourself.

Default Some direction-

Quote Originally Posted by Akgame View Post
    Hello hunters,

Im new to Alaska and very interested in Float hunting. Ive seen some dvds and hopefully will bebable to do a hunt for moose next year.

Where should I start? Ive looked on some sites about hunt planners. Have any of you all used Pristine ventures or Lost creek? Would like some recommendations for planners, books, videos etc..

Who is the best? Would like to hear from anyone that has had experiences with any of the hunt planners mentioned.

Thanks,
    Moore
    Hello Moore,

Thanks for asking.

I'm truly sorry for the drama here, when you were just asking a fairly simple question.

Drop me a pm and I'd be happy to have a preliminary discussion with you concerning your hunt (at no charge), regardless of what planning service you use, or whether you use one at all. I urge you to do the same with anyone else before making a decision. This allows you to compare what each company does, and to decide which option works best for your situation.

You might also do some research on this website; there's a wealth of information already here and you may not need a planning service at all! Feel free to ask questions here in the hunting forum; there are lots of folks here with good solid experience who would be happy to help you. I know a lot of folks (both residents and non-residents) have planned successful Alaska big-game hunts, just with the information they found here on Outdoors Directory. You might be able to do the same and save yourself some money.

Regardless of how you go about this, best of luck on your hunt!

Take care,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay