Thread: Magnaporting

Question Magnaporting

Some questions for those who have experience with Magnaported hand guns.

I'm told that a diet of cast lead bullets thru a Mported handgun spews lead out thru the ports. How bad is it, and how do you deal with it? And does the front sight get affected by the contamination? Would use of gas checked bullets alleviate the problem?

I have several Magnaported rifles with iron sights, but have noticed no residue and shoot no cast bullets thru them.

How can such residue be removed during the cleaning process?

Thanks.

Default Leading in your ports

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I'm told that a diet of cast lead bullets thru a Mported handgun spews lead out thru the ports. How bad is it, and how do you deal with it?
    Has not been a problem with my Freedom Arms .454 Casull, so I have had to take no special precautions nor cures.

And does the front sight get affected by the contamination?
    My front sight does get quite a bit of burnt powder residue which I clean off with powder solvent and a brush (hard toothbrush or nylon bore brush).

Would use of gas checked bullets alleviate the problem?
    Thinking about the geometry of the situation, I opine that almost all lead from your bullets would be scraped off the sides of the bullet. The lead from the bullet base would have almost no contribution. However the gas check might affect the expansion of the base of the bullet minutely, thus could have a very small effect. Also, the hot gases might melt a little lead from the base and that softened/melted lead might be carried out the ports. I would expect this to also be very small. I am curious about what others' observations are regarding gas checks, since I have no experience with them myself.
    I have several Magnaported rifles with iron sights, but have noticed no residue and shoot no cast bullets thru them.
    No powder residue at all? Or are you focused only on lead or copper?

Thanks.
    There are a number of lead removal products and processes on the market, chemical and physical. Most are intended for the bore, not ports or the exterior. Be careful of what effect they may have on your guns' finishes.

Have you asked MagnaPort? They may have ideas and wisdom to impart.

Good Luck and good shooting

Lost Sheep (Larry)

I'm told that a diet of cast lead bullets thru a Mported handgun spews lead out thru the ports. How bad is it, and how do you deal with it? And does the front sight get affected by the contamination? Would use of gas checked bullets alleviate the problem?

Thanks.
    The only lead smearing out the ports I've experienced happens when using those soft swaged lead bullets from Hornady or Speer. Not an issue at all with hard cast or gas check.