Thread: Smokepole shooters...

Default Smokepole shooters...

I have done gone and got me an itch to make another muzzleloader. I've got my own styling ideas on the thing, but I'm wondering about specific things to look for in a barrel maker...wanting a .62 this time around.
    I'm wanting something that'll shoot bullets, rather than ball, recommendations on twist, etcetera, yadayadayada???
    Without a 'home projects' forum, I figured to put it here in the shooting forum. Sorry to put build questions here...
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-19-2008 at 14:44. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I have done gone and got me an itch to make another muzzleloader. I've got my own styling ideas on the thing, but I'm wondering about specific things to look for in a barrel maker...wanting a .62 this time around.
    I'm wanting something that'll shoot bullets, rather than ball, recommendations on twist, etcetera, yadayadayada???
    Without a 'home projects' forum, I figured to put it here in the shooting forum. Sorry to put build questions here...

For sufficient bullet weight and at the same time good BC I like 40 and 45 cal smoke poles and preferably 45cal. with a 30 plus inch barrel and with shallow grooves and 1-18 twist using Triple 7 FFF powder and Walter card board wads in front of 80-100grs powder and a 350gr conical moving between 1800 and 1900fps. This allows for enough bullet up close on the biggest stuff and good down range ballistics out to 250yds. Still allows for 285 gr really trucking and respectable velocities for a 410gr or 500gr bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default I've yet to fool around with a .45...

but that's about to change tomorrow. Discovered a .45 percussion TC 'Hawken' in the backroom at a MIGHTY friendly price. Sure that it's a slow twist round ball gun, but it'll be fun experimenting with it anyway, just gotta find a way to live with that shiny brass furniture!
    When I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB, Mt back in the 1970's, a local fella there built a 62 round ball gun, and took a speed goat at a measured 300 yards with one shot. There was a barrel/kit maker by the name of Sharon that made the barrel for him, and I put one of his kitted 'trade rifles' together. Smoothest bore I've ever encountered, but I understand he went under, andthe operation moved to Colorado years ago. I've had a 62 in mind for myself since then, but lost track of Sharon, and haven't had a lot of experience with muzzleloaders except for a few scattered TC's....

Discovered a .45 percussion TC 'Hawken' in the backroom at a MIGHTY friendly price. Sure that it's a slow twist round ball gun, but it'll be fun experimenting with it anyway, just gotta find a way to live with that shiny brass furniture!
    I'm betting that TC 45 is a 1:48 twist, which should let you use medium weight conicals anyway, if not the heavies.

As for the 62, barrel choice is going to depend a lot on the style you want to build. If Hawken style, I'd sure look into a tapered barrel. If you're going for a more "eastern" style, I'd be thinking about swamped. Sources in a moment when I get done yacking. I say all that cuzz I've got a bud who's making a 36" barreled 62 caliber Hawken from a straight 1 1/8" barrel. He's a big guy like me, but that thing is still a club. Assembled gun weighs in at close to 14 pounds and it's so danged barrel heavy I don't enjoy handling it all. In cmparison I've got two 58 cal Hawkens, one long and one short, both with 1 1/8" barrels tapered to the muzzle. The short one is not barrel heavy at all, and even the long one (36" barrel) is no more muzzle heavy than my 54 cal Lyman GPR. Swamped barrels offer the same kinds of benefits.

If you're looking to launch conicals, I'd sure be searching for a fast twist if you can find it. At least 1:32, if not 1:28 or even 1:24. Finding a mould for a 62 caliber conical is going to be tough, probably involving a trip to a custom shop.

Top makers of tapered or swamped barrels these days include Colerain, Rice, Long Hammock and Oregon Barrel Copmany distributed through The Gun Works.

but that's about to change tomorrow. Discovered a .45 percussion TC 'Hawken' in the backroom at a MIGHTY friendly price. Sure that it's a slow twist round ball gun, but it'll be fun experimenting with it anyway, just gotta find a way to live with that shiny brass furniture!
    When I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB, Mt back in the 1970's, a local fella there built a 62 round ball gun, and took a speed goat at a measured 300 yards with one shot. There was a barrel/kit maker by the name of Sharon that made the barrel for him, and I put one of his kitted 'trade rifles' together. Smoothest bore I've ever encountered, but I understand he went under, andthe operation moved to Colorado years ago. I've had a 62 in mind for myself since then, but lost track of Sharon, and haven't had a lot of experience with muzzleloaders except for a few scattered TC's....
    Use steel wool on the brass to dull it up.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Birchwood Casey makes a product called Brass Black! It goes on like liquid cold blue....only its black and for brass.

www.brownells.com

stock number 167-005-200ab 8.80 for a 3 oz bottle which would be enough to do your Hawken.

By the way a Hawken with black furniture don't look half bad and they don't skeer off the critters either.

The one I did got bead blasted before using the brass black. Steel wool will do the same thing.

Brownells-1-800-741-0015