Thread: first kill!!!!!!!!!!

Default first kill!!!!!!!!!!

Hey every one, just thought I'd share with every one my first successful call/kill. Went to the store this morning to get a paper and took my riffle with me. Decided to go down a road just out of town and squeak my call for a few minutes real quick before my wife relized I was off hunting. Five minutes later I was retrieving my first kill!!! Very exciting after 6 long years of no luck at all calling!
    Last edited by aksnowshoe; 12-10-2008 at 01:24.

Default congrats

Thats awesome!!!! I killed my first 5 days ago the same way, with a little distress call. it took me 2 years without even seeing a fox before I finally connected. congrats again man thats great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fox2.jpg  

Default thanks!

Thanks chuck! I'm very excited for you too! Hopefully these are only the first of many for us this winter!! Good luck and good hunting!!

Good job fellas. I have been a lil slow dusting off the gear this year myself.

Nice job! here are a couple I got right at the end of september calling. One cross and a silver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails th_IMG_5072.jpg   th_silver.jpg  

Being a big time caller from back in the day I feel your excitment,Im stoked for you fellas.Congrats!

Good job, guys. What you all shooting the foxes with? I see a 10/22 in one picture.

Default 22-250

Ya, a little over kill for a fox @ 50 yards, but it's what I had with me! It' an H&R ultra varmint W/Leapold 3-9x40 VX 1 mil dot.
    Last edited by aksnowshoe; 12-10-2008 at 01:24.

I am using a ruger 77/17 in .17 hmr

Default ruger

I've got a Ruger 77 all weather .17hmr that is the nicest gun I own, and I really wish I would have had it this morning for the fox! Unfortunetly you can only hunt with one gun at a time, and you can't take them all with you every where you go. The .17 would have been perfect though, or the shot gun? Oh well at least I got one!

Yeah mine is a blued/synthetic 77/17. That thing is a shooter! I can cover 5 shots with a quarter at 100. I shot a rabbit at just under 150 with the 17gr vmax and it dropped it right there. Both of the fox I got were shot with 20gr FMJ, and both passed completely through. I haven't tried using the 17gr vmax on any fox yet. I gotta try the gamepoints too. I am wondering if a .17hmr is enough for a lynx. I plan on trying to call one in this winter, and my hmr is the only rifle I have up here at the moment.

Default lynx

I bet it would work good on lynx depending on range. They are pretty thin skinned and light animals. Give it a whirl especially if it's all you got!

i have shot a bobcat with the 17HMR down south(way south) they are a bit smaller though.

Yeah bob cats way down south are pretty small.