Thread: French MAS7.5mm

Default French MAS7.5mm

Is there any sporterizing options for this firearm. I am finding brass very hard to come by. .308 or 30 06

Default I'd lay in a supply of this...

http://www.grafs.com/product/187951
    even if the quality ain't great, it'd give you something to put a boxer primer and a charge of powder into and make the gun go bang.
    The rifle is so butt-ugly that anything would be an improvement, and to be honest, other than cleaning up the wood, maybe putting a bit of checkering onto it with a good finish, and trying to figure out a way to put some glass on it, you're pretty much stuck with an ugly rifle. Not trying to hurt yer feelings at all, and it may turn out to be a really great rifle, sorta like a Heinz 57 mutt....there everytime ya turn around and loyal and lovin' till the day it dies.
    I've read in several places that it can be formed from 6.5X55 Swede brass, and some guys using .284 Winchester with rim and primer pocket modifications, but that's where I lost interest in that route.
    Any .308 diameter bullet should work in the case and give performance right 'tween .308 and '06, just like the 7.5 Swiss, .30-284, 7.62 Russian, .30-40 Krag and the like. Fifth Edition of the Hornady manual has loads, giving performance just shy of .300 Savage.
    Here's a link to some like-minded folks who most likely know a heckuva lot more about this than I do.......http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=146

Thanks for the info, we actually found this gun in my father laws storage he had bought it decades ago for 40 bucks and had no idea what it was. The short stock on the thing we thought it would be a great field gun for the boys. Thanks again.

Default In one o' them threads...

I heard mention of a French Military produced recoil pad that could be fitted to increase the stock length. Probably part of the package when they mounted the grenade launcher on them. Short of that, a large Pachmayr or Limbsavr could be ground to fit when the boys get bigger and need a longer stock.
    Take 'er easy!!

Default 7.5 mas

The best brass to use for making the MAS is 6.5x55 sized and trimmed. The MAS shoots bullets which are smaller than 7.62(.308), they are actually .305 ; I believe without digging out my old loading books.
    Using 308 bullets can cause pressures to rise quickly. I usually take .308 projectiles and swage them to the proper diameter. MAS ammo is still availablefrom Midway; it's Prvi Partizan 139 grn.
    It's reloadable just buy 5-6 boxes and start there.
    Enjoy the rifle !!

IS yours the bolt action or semi-auto ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The best brass to use for making the MAS is 6.5x55 sized and trimmed. The MAS shoots bullets which are smaller than 7.62(.308), they are actually .305 ; I believe without digging out my old loading books.
    Using 308 bullets can cause pressures to rise quickly. I usually take .308 projectiles and swage them to the proper diameter. MAS ammo is still availablefrom Midway; it's Prvi Partizan 139 grn.
    It's reloadable just buy 5-6 boxes and start there.
    Enjoy the rifle !!

IS yours the bolt action or semi-auto ?
    Bolt action my father in law has had it for 20 years and has never shot it.

Default Nice

These rifles are fun to shoot. Just remember they were NOT equipped with a safety of any kind, except the one between your ears.
    The French carried them with an empty chamber, I suggest you you do the same. Some rifles that were imported were retrofitted with a trigger safety by the importer, don't trust it if yours has one.
    The MAS will last you forever, they are well built rifles.
    They like bullets between 125 grns and 150 grns., they were loaded with 139 grn FMJ Spitzer style projectiles.
    Good luck with your new toy !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

With the short stock I am going to try to work up a good hunting load for the boys and get them on some deer next year in the PWS. Thanks for the advice.