Thread: Maintenance Advice on 2001 Polaris 600

Default Maintenance Advice on 2001 Polaris 600

Taking care of my buddy's rig and want to go through all of the fluids, filters and such.

Any advice on what to look out for? What should I be sure to do? I heard there was a chain that should be oiled????

Any help on how to change the spark plugs? I can't seem to get a wrench on them. I'm sure it is something simple I am missing, but I haven't found it in the book yet.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Let us know which model of PoPo. Like a "Sportsman" or some other model. Owners books are available from the Polaris web site to down load on your computer. As for the sparkplug, I have one model that I can ONLY get the plug out with the factory supplied wrench. I cannot get a craftsman plug wrench on it as the socket is too long to fit. Give us more information and we can help with information.

Default 600 Sportsman

Thanks, it is a

600 Sportsman (Twin)

Never tried the stock wrench...length was the problem when I tried too.

you could order a chilton's or haynes manual online for like $25...I'm very happy with mine, tells you what to look for, how to do it, what tools to use, even part numbers and pics!! Just google it for your wheeler. Best investment i've made with respect to my wheeler so far.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

I am new to this forum so I hope I don't mess this up too bad. This is the second time I typed this. The first time the message box went blank. I apologize if this ends up as a double post.

First I would suggest you verify the model year of the machine. Polaris did not make a twin cylinder in 2001. I know this because I bought my machine in 2001, 500HO, and if they made a bigger one, I would have bought that instead. The first twin was the 2002 700. The 600 came out in model year 2003 and ended with the 2005. You can verify what year you have by checking the 10th digit in the VIN. 3=2003, 4=2004 or 5=2005.

It was already suggested you go to the Polaris website and download the owners manual. I agree. It is free and has the recommended maintainence schedule and recommended (over priced Polaris) fluids. Most of the fluids can be substituted with a cheaper brand. From reading other ATV forums, the people that have tried to substitute the oil for the front gearbox had unsatisfactory results and ended up going to the Polaris oil. Don't overfill the front gearbox or you could get erratic AWD engagement.

The older Sportsmans had a lot of grease fittings. Mine has 24. The newer one have a lot less. Most are easy to find, but some are pretty well hidden. The front prop shaft has 3; one on each of the u-joints on the ends, and one on the slip joint in the middle. Also, the steering stem has one under the headlight pod. This one is done strictly by feel because you can't see it. Your machine may or may not have these, but I just thought I would give you some areas to check.

While you are greasing it, you might as well check the CV joint boots for tears. Also, the ball joints are known to wear out quickly. I replaced mine at 900 miles, and I don't do mud or deep water.

The Sportsmans are shaft drive and don't have a chain for you to worry about.

Well, that's pretty much all I do to mine.

I do have a Polaris service manual for the 2003 SP600 (and a few others) so if you need any info from it, let me know and I will get if for you.

Default Spark Plug

I had a Sportsman 500 EFI and the only thing that would take out the plug was the supplied wrench in the kit. You need to try that first!