Thread: Air to ground communication.

Default Air to ground communication.

Hello,
    Hope someone has an answear for me. I don't live in alaska (CO.) but my hunting buddies and I wear discussing the other night on our elk trip about two-way radio communication with an airplane. In our discussions one of the things that was brought up is, does the C.A.P. moniter standard hand held radio channels if they are looking for someone. Also if your are flying into a place that has others in your camp or if you are comming in to pick up clients what type (brand) of radios do you use. I know several use Sat. Phones for communication but I am looking for more of a ground communication between hunters and a pilot. Thanks In advance.

ICOM hand-held radios are the gold standard. There are other brands of aviation radios but ICOM is king. 122.9 is the CTAF frequency in 99% of uncontrolled airspace. (CTAF= common traffic advisory frequency). 122.9 will usually be the best bet to talk to a passer-by. If somebody's looking for you they'll be on 121.5 which is the rescue frequency.

Just remember, It is illegal to use radios for hunting.
    Tim

Thanks for the replys, we can use them here in CO. We use them to keep in touch with partners out in the field.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by bkuuz1 View Post
    Hello,
    Hope someone has an answear for me. I don't live in alaska (CO.) but my hunting buddies and I wear discussing the other night on our elk trip about two-way radio communication with an airplane. In our discussions one of the things that was brought up is, does the C.A.P. moniter standard hand held radio channels if they are looking for someone. Also if your are flying into a place that has others in your camp or if you are comming in to pick up clients what type (brand) of radios do you use. I know several use Sat. Phones for communication but I am looking for more of a ground communication between hunters and a pilot. Thanks In advance.
    I just kept a CB radio hard-wired in each of my airplanes. I was an Alaska Registered Guide, and was very aware that these radios were not to be used for reporting the whereabouts of game, etc. At the same time, being above the earth let me use them over distances of more than one hundred miles. I could keep track of where my people were, and could even talk with the Alaska State Troopers, in case of an emergency. Compared to the cost of a satellite phone, I would vote for the CB every time.

Your radio guy can wire the CBs so that you can use your David Clarks for reception, but you'll have to have a separate mike for transmissions. Small price to pay for the convenienc.

Just my two cents worth . . . . .

Mort