Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Lake Cabin on Admiralty Island, AK

Default Jim's Lake Cabin on Admiralty Island, AK

Hey all,
    Just for informational purposes, I just got back from camping/fishing on Jim's lake, which is located smack dab in the middle of Admiralty Island, and have posted some pictures for anyone who is interested in visiting. When we booked, we had very little information about the area, cabin, etc., so I thought I would provide some pictures and information about our trip.

http://www.jimslakecabin.com

We had a great time while we were there for a week--the area was beautiful, and we were pulling out 25-30" Kokanee left and right.

Hope it helps anyone who was thinking of visiting this awesome spot!!

Josh

Thanks for the info.

No pics of the fish?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Nevermind.

I just found them.

Thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Great pics...thanks for sharing!

What time of year did you guys go?

Default Time of year...

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmers View Post
    Great pics...thanks for sharing!

What time of year did you guys go?
    Hey JimJimmers, we went in the first part of september 2008....it was very nice weather--around 60 degrees every day, dropping to about 45 at night.

Last time I was at Jim's Lake we flew with Channel Flying in a Grumman Goose.

That may date me.

Default Please feel free to correct me.

It looks like you guys had a great time. feel free to correct me but none of the fish looked like Kokanee to me. I saw a few cutthroat and I'm guessing some large rainbows but I thought Kokanee were a land-locked sockeye. I don't want to rain on your trip I was just curious. Either way thanks for all the information on Jims Lake.

Default Not Kokanee?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    It looks like you guys had a great time. feel free to correct me but none of the fish looked like Kokanee to me. I saw a few cutthroat and I'm guessing some large rainbows but I thought Kokanee were a land-locked sockeye. I don't want to rain on your trip I was just curious. Either way thanks for all the information on Jims Lake.
    Hah! Well, you may be right, but the book that was there at the cabin said Jim's Lake had a high Kokannee population, and said they had a 25" minimum, so we just made the assumption that it was Kokanee...but you what? Either way, we could have pulled in carp all week and we would have still had the times of our lives!

I'm not familiar w/ Alaska Fish, so I will assume you are right about the fish.

Thanks for looking at the pics!!

Josh

Great info on Jim's Lake. Been thinking about making it over there for a while now. I concur with the Cutthroat and Rainbow call, but I do think you had one kokanee in there. Good on ya. Looks like the eating was good all around. Cant beat a cutthroat stuffed with lemon and butter, thrown in a fire and eaten whole. Thanks for the trip report.

Well if looks like you mostly killed kokanee (the forked tails give em away), wich is fortunate because you weren't poaching if they were cutts you are under sized and over limit with every fish on those stringers(as far as I can tell).

I assume you didn't bother to pick up or read a copy of the regs because they have pictures of all the fish and you'd know that the minimum size limit for cutts is 25" and you are allowed 1 per day.

The regs also have tips for catch and release fishing, you know basic things like using single hooks, and not dragging fish through the mud.

Next time please respect the fish more, at the very least read the regs.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Hmmm...

Catch and release anyone? Well, I'm not in a position to pass judgment - especially when it comes to fish identification. In my opinion, it would be nice if Fish and Game could make it easier to understand the regs. I have an engineering degree from a good school. My stepdad, who I look up to, is a US F&W biologist. The regs always make me feel stupid. How about a reg. sheet for dummies or similar?

Here's my suggestion: (Step 1) Increase annual budget $50 to each state of Alaska office offering public fishing areas (Step 2) Identify watershed and access points (Step 3) Print "dummy sheet" in color (Step 4) Laminate (Step 5) Post generously at watershed and access points. Regardless of cutbacks, there will always be good biologists, good staff and good laminating machines around.

Default Powder Monkey's Soap Box

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Well if looks like you mostly killed kokanee (the forked tails give em away), wich is fortunate because you weren't poaching if they were cutts you are under sized and over limit with every fish on those stringers(as far as I can tell).

I assume you didn't bother to pick up or read a copy of the regs because they have pictures of all the fish and you'd know that the minimum size limit for cutts is 25" and you are allowed 1 per day.

The regs also have tips for catch and release fishing, you know basic things like using single hooks, and not dragging fish through the mud.

Next time please respect the fish more, at the very least read the regs.
    Wow, you sure know how to kill a thread...look, we *did* release fish...literally HUNDREDS between the 4 of us in the few days we were there, and yes, we did the regs, here:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...nregs/Jims.pdf

We conformed to the regulations.

Josh

Default Sorry

I guess I took your post in a bad direction. I definately wasn't trying to imply that you were violating regs. It looks like you guys had a great trip and I definately want to go see Jims Lake after seeing the pictures of your trip.

Default I'll admit

Sorry that you're thread is jacked. Looks like you had a great trip.

I'm sure that I've mistaken the reg's before. I regret that I've made the mistake. However, now that I know that the mistake was made, I can look back and laugh. This makes sense, because I don't have a PhD in Alaska fisheries regulation writing.

Looks like a great trip and place to visit. I've lived in Alaska for 35 years and never heard of that place. There's always somewhere new to go here...that's part of why I live in Alaska.

I do, however, have to agree to an extent on the fish kept. I'm not claiming perfection on my part with the regs. or anything like that, but it does appear that you kept way too many and too small of cutts. As has been pointed out, though, it is often hard to figure out the regs, especially if you're not already familiar with the fish to be caught. I'm glad you had a great trip, and hope you come back for more.

Default Easy regs

I agree that the regs in some ADFG publications can be confusing, but did you see the pdf file that Josh posted above? This synopsis of Jims Lake regs couldn't be more clear, and a copy of it is (was?) laminated and posted in the Jims Lake cabin. The daily limit on cutthroat in Jims Lake is 1 fish per person, 25" minimum size limit.

Josh, viewing your pictures, it's obvious you violated the fishing regulations. Those ain't kokanne or dollies on your stringers - they're cutts. And they're not 25".

Given what you've posted so far in this thread, it appears that your violation wasn't intentional - it seems you mistakenly identified cutthroats as kokanne. But whether it was intentional or not doesn't have much to do with it; all anglers have a responsibility to know how to ID their catch. If you've never seen or caught a cutt or kokanne before, you should take the time to learn how to ID them before you start whacking them.

Sorry for the news. I know you guys had a great time at Jims, and you had nothing but good intentions when you posted these pics and videos. And none of this should prevent you from coming back to enjoy another trip. But Powder Monkey's point should be well-taken: know the regs.

Sorry to inform you but all the fish that I saw in your pics were cuttys. In southeast the cuttys can vary greatly in color, even in the same lake. the sure fire way to tell is the red mark under the lower jaw, you can see this mark in one of the pics where somone is holding up a fish in a baot wearing a camo jacket. Kokanee arn't speckled like a trout. I would sugest being a little more careful, because when it comes to troopers writing a ticket ignorance isn't an excuse. Trust me.

OK, folks.... let’s remember what this bulletin board (forum) is for...sharing tips and information on anything "Alaska Fishing."

With that said, please don't use this board to try to punish, call out, or scold another fellow fisherman.

I'm sure Josh's intent was good and his mistakes were innocent / non-deliberate. With the way many of you have 'reprimanded' him already, I doubt he'll ever do it again. Cut the guy some slack!

Sheesh!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-22-2008 at 18:34. Reason: Removed sentence per forum rules

Default A little different take on the situation...

I've fished wilderness lakes in Colorado for cutthroat trout. It seemed that there were lakes with small fish that had nothing but many, many small fish. The lakes with big fish had few fish. However, they lacked the little fish. (These lakes with big fish were my secret lakes.) When you take out the small cutthroats, Jim's lake will produce more large cutthroats.

If what I say is true, then we all should go do some catch and release fishing on Jim's lake in a year or two.

The cabin at the bottom of the trail leading up to the lake is pretty cool too. My wife an I went in July. Caught TONS of pinks from the river and got up close and personnal with some bears. Very cool spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast