Thread: Forming .35 Whelen from 30-06

Default Forming .35 Whelen from 30-06

I finally got my .35 Whelen barrel installed on my 1903 action and now I need to form some brass. I've got thousands of rounds of '06 brass so i hate to buy any new!

I remember seeing one expander die advertised that stated it would expand from .30 to .35 in one pass but I can't find the ad again. I've got some dies to expand it in several passes but that gets old.

Can somone with experience in this area tell me the best way to go about this expansion? I know it is fairly simple compated to some stuff I've done like making some 8 mm Roth-Steyer cases.

THANKS!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Get...

the Hornady die set for .35 Whelen with the tapered expander ball. I used to fireform the stuff, but it's a real pain in the britches. The tapered ball makes Whelen out of '06 in one pass and so far, no split necks, battered shoulders, just useable brass after squaring the case mouth. Only way to go.

Default Thanks!

Darreld-

Thanks - that is probably the ad I saw. I use RCBS dies and they don't have the tapered expander ball. So far I've ran them over a couple of Lyman M expanders for cast bullets but it is a pain at best.

Fireforming from '06 would indeed be a mess. I'll finish fireforming them with cast bullets but it won't take much for the finish forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    the Hornady die set for .35 Whelen with the tapered expander ball. I used to fireform the stuff, but it's a real pain in the britches. The tapered ball makes Whelen out of '06 in one pass and so far, no split necks, battered shoulders, just useable brass after squaring the case mouth. Only way to go.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default I used to load fireform loads...

with a bit of Bullseye, covered with cornmeal, and topped with a tuft of toilet paper in a neck annealed case. Made a heckuva bang, also gave me nice cases, but made a terrible mess in the rifle, and would still make a fist-sized hole in 1/2" plywood at five feet.
    By the way, I still grab all the R-P .35 Whelen headstamped brass I find. MUCH easier in the long run!

The tapered expander is the way to go, no doubt. They can be order from Redding individually for any caliber, seperately. The 35 Whelen die set from Redding does come with the tapered expander installed, however. I have found that in new '06 brass (soft annealled) it works well but there will be some misalignment of the neck when necking up from 30 to 35 in one step. Each case is different but the neck will be lop-sided somewhat. The interim step of .338 (tapered expander) usually eliminates the mis-aligned neck or al least minimizes it.

Also in new brass I just lube the neck with the dry powdered graphite or mica. This works well with either 338 or 358 tapered expander.

The Lyman 'M' die is an expander body and the expanders can be bought seperately. It is made for cast bullets but will work to neck up because they are tapered and smooth, but must go in steps. RCBS also sell what is the same as the Lyman expander die with various expanders, here again for cast bullets. I have used these when necking brass to larger calibers and they work well also. I think it would be a mistake to do the job in one pass just to save work, the brass is more important.

I neck '06 up to .423" (straight) in four steps after annealing (or buy annealled Lapua) then neck it back down to the Gibbs, Hawks or RCBS Improved version where the shoulder must move forward. Haven't lost a case lately.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The 35 W RCBS die set I bought on eBay came with a tapered expander.

Guess I was "lucky"

Lee 35 whelen dies come with a tapered expander. It works best if you chuck it in a drill press and polish it. Also swab the neck with some lee case lube on a q-tip (it's water based so won't mess up powder or primers) and it necks up just fine.

I ran 100's of -06 and even 270 cases through the die with one pass, no problem.