Thread: Winchester vs Remington brass?

Default Winchester vs Remington brass?

Prices are about the same. What are the pros and cons of each brand? What about their bullets as well? Thanks for the help!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Winchester = more case capacity, usually slightly cheaper to buy but poorer quality control. It is not uncommon for me to find defective, damaged or corroded Winchester brass in any given lot.

Remington = least case capacity (Starline is reported to have the most but I don’t know this for fact) is generally more expensive than Winchester. Quality control seems to be excellent as I have never found a defective Remington case as of yet.

For me, neither one is significantly better than the other to really make much of a difference. I buy what ever they happen to have priced the least.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Question

Thanks for asking the question, stormy. Alangaq has given the thread a good start, and I'll be interested to see the additional responses you get.

The difference in case capacity mentioned by Alangaq is often noted when comparing Winchester to Remington, but I'm not sure if the capacity difference means a significant practical advantage of one over the other. Similarly, I'm unaware of controlled studies that have objectively compared case life between Remington and Winchester. I hope other forum participants can reference a study or two.

Out of habit, I pretty much have always chosen Winchester over Remington, even though Winchester is typically more expensive (I'll need to find out where Alangaq buys his cases). A few years back when Winchester stopped making .375H&H cases, I'll admit with embarassment that I paniced and went on a frantic but unsuccessful mission to find some. I ended up "settling" for Remington brass...and it has done me well. Over the years I have gotten many, many loadings out of Winchester brass in a wide variety of calibers...not that I wouldn't get just as many out of Remington...I just don't know.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree with Alangaq.

I'm not sure I handload enough that my opinion matters, but I find that Remington Brass, is usually cheaper than Winchester, and IME, it's every bit as good.

I've used more of the Rem. than the Win. and I've received bad Win. Brass, but never any bad Rem. Brass.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I almost always buy brass locally. Either at Sportsmans or one of the other guns shops in town, and in my experience the Winchester brass is usually about a buck cheaper……… like I said in my prior post, not a significant difference. Same goes for the capacity difference. The only time It made a difference for me, was when I was doing load development for max performance 45/70 loadings using 405 grain cast bullets. With Remington brass I couldn’t get enough powder into the case to match the loads in the load book without serious compression and intense fear of excessive pressures………
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Thank you sir.

Thanks Alangaq for the imformation. Also, I failed to mention in my earlier post that I agree with your comment regarding possible quality control with Winchester brass. I've had similar experiences that you shared, e.g., pretty high variability in case quality and length within the same bag.

Doc, with some of the brass I have seen from Winchester I had to assume that others were finding the same kind of stuff, but hadn’t heard much chatter about it. Now it may sound kind of sick to some of you, but I actually enjoy finding those little defective “treasures” in a new bag of brass! It has great “show and tell” appeal and always makes for a good conversation or educational display when coaching others in regards to re-loading!

My favorite is a 375 Winchester case that has a taco shaped pucker or fold that runs a third of the length of the case………… I cant for the life of me figure out what kind of error could have caused this particular defect. I also have a few that never got punched for flash holes………. Not all together a bad thing, as you don’t need to bother with de-burring the flash hole or worry about case cleaning media getting stuck in the flash hole………. Of course its not so good if you actually want the round to fire……….

I have heard lots of folks bragging up the Nossler, Hornady, Starline brass, and the serious target guys seem to go for the Norma and Lapua stuff, but for what I do and the guns I shoot this stuff out of, it just make more sense to go the cheapest route.

I have always thought of Remington brass as harder or stiffer than Winchester. Both are excellent brass. I usually buy one brand per caliber and stick with it. My 300 win mag is all Winchester and my 375 H&H is all Remington. My 308 is all Lakecity. If I have to buy ammo I try to also buy the same brand per caliber.

From what I have learned winchester has greater capacity. I couldn't comment on quality as I have never noticed a difference in longevity but of concern would be using max winchester loads in remington brass. I read an article suggeting that the difference could be enough to cause dangerous pressure. Love Lapua but it is spendy. I have found Federal to be less consistent.

Cheers

Talking

The experience I've had suggests that Rem brass is a little thicker than the Win brass, so I figure that it accounts for less capacity. I load for two identical chambered wildcats (8mm-338 mag) and I use Win for one and Rem for the other to help keep the two loads identified.The Rem cases are two grains less for their optimum load, compared to the Win. Of course, not scientific, but I believe fairly accurate.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I have found the Remington brass will crack or fail sooner than Winchester over numberous reloadings. It seems to be a little harder and thus more brittle after resizing.

I like Lake City for 30-06.
    I also have a big batch of Federal Brass that seems to be pretty good brass.

For black powder cartridges I like Starline.

Has anyone else noticed that Hornady brass seems pretty soft?

I have some Silver State Armory brass enroute.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I've used both cases, and typically go with Remington because it seems easier to find.

As to Hornady, I've used their 480 and 458 lott brass. I don't know if you'd call their 480 brass soft, perhaps ductile is a better word. And thats a good thing as I've loaded some cases over 20 times, and have only lost a few to neck cracks. I suppose I should anneal them about now.

Been reloading for over 40 years. I don't see any differences between the brands at all. I buy what is cheapest.
    Tennessee

Whenm I buy new brass, I look for Starline. If Starline doesn't make that particular caliber, I buy whatever I can find.
    Most of my 44 brass is range pick-up, mostly Federal. I love shooters who don't reload.
    The worst luck I have had with splitting is with 454 Casull Winchester factory loads. Sometimes on the first firing.