Thread: Friday Evening Report

Default Friday Evening Report

I got in from work, gave into the addiction, grabbed the gear, the dog, and headed out. I really didn't expect much but decided it'd be a nice evening in the marsh if nothing else. Potter Marsh was half frozen but still held aout 10 ducks (mostly mallards) so I began to think things were looking up. I arrived at the parking area, found one other guy already there with a bird in hand and decided to do a little scouting/jump shooting. I mangaed to spook a few birds out, all out of range. But one comitted suicide by flying over the other guy.

I found a nice spot with separate ponds on 3 sides, threw a decoy in each and settled in for the next couple of hours. There were a couple of buffleheads on the far side of one pond, just far enough to be out of range, but close enough to drive my dog nuts as she watched them. Once they decided to leave and fly by it was time to give her something to do. I dropped one and unfortunately left it's buddy to complete it's migration alone. A bit later a very talkative hen mallard landed 80 yds. out and couldn't resist her plastic relative talking back to her. She kept swimming towards the deke quacking back to me the whole time. At 20 yds. it was time to jump her and that was that...the dog brought back a very surprised hen mallard.

All in all it was a nice night out in the marsh. No ice, no snow, and a couple of birds to boot.

now that's the way to put it. your a good writer. how was the plume on buffle? i have a nice dec buffle that a friend of mine back home at our duck club in calif gave me. i'm having it mounted. no doubt a pretty bird

That was my first bufflehead. He seemed to be in full color. Pretty bird for sure....but will probably go in the sausage bag. This late in the season I'm not very selective. haha They have to be one of the easiest to identify in flight. I came home and told my wife and kids I shot a penguin....took them a minute to remember that they're at the other end of the planet. Here's a pic from the web for those that are still learning duck id.

Got my first buffle last weekend, it was flaying with a few mallards. landed that one plus one of the mallards. The buffle tasted pretty good; going out again tommorrow to try the luck at one of the lakes.

I got one on the wall, good looking critter. Definately tasty too. One of my favorites after teal when from the northern end of the migration. I won't eat them in SoCal on that end of the migration, the ones I saw were tending to hang out in some ponds that I didn't think much of and smelled...well, awful. Got lots of them in Homer across the bay.