Thread: Which camera(s)

Default Which camera(s)

For starters I am looking for recommendations on a pair of reasonably inexpensive fairly durable cameras that take very good pics. After having two point and shoot pocket cameras that have required a special connector cables, I really just want one that connects with a standard mini or micro usb cable so if I forget it on a trip I can just buy one at any store or borrow one. I am leaning toward the Casio Exlim series because my buddy has one and despite it being the same "mega pixel" the pictures are far superior when compared to my samsung even if we sat in the same spot and took pics of the same thing at the same time. Anyway I am planning on being in the $150 each range (but a little flexible) for these cameras and open to ideas. It would be nice if there is multiple colors available so I can tell the difference between mine and my wifes.

The other thing that I am looking for is one of those cameras that seems to fit in the middle between the fancy interchangable lense cams and the pocket ones like I mention above. We are willing to spend 300-400 on a decent camera. I would like it to take good pics, offer a little bit of entry level adjustability if there is such a thing. More or less somthing that will provide decent (10x minimum) optical zoom without all the bulk of the multil lens full feature cameras. I want to take some higher quality pics on my outings and I know that I will not carry a bigger camera, but I am sick of getting home and looking through a bunch of pics that just don't seem to catch the scenery anywhere near how I remember. One feature that I think would be nice is the rapid fire setting where it will keep hammering off pics for either a burst of x amount of pics or one that would just keep firing untill you released the button. My kids are into sports so being able to catch the goal in sequence would be a highly desirable feature. Sorry for me not knowing the technical features/terminology but I honestly have about a million other things I fill my time with and I likely will continue to be a dunce on this subject, thats why I have you guys here to point me in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    For starters I am looking for recommendations on a pair of reasonably inexpensive fairly durable cameras that take very good pics. After having two point and shoot pocket cameras that have required a special connector cables, I really just want one that connects with a standard mini or micro usb cable so if I forget it on a trip I can just buy one at any store or borrow one. I am leaning toward the Casio Exlim series because my buddy has one and despite it being the same "mega pixel" the pictures are far superior when compared to my samsung even if we sat in the same spot and took pics of the same thing at the same time. Anyway I am planning on being in the $150 each range (but a little flexible) for these cameras and open to ideas. It would be nice if there is multiple colors available so I can tell the difference between mine and my wifes.

The other thing that I am looking for is one of those cameras that seems to fit in the middle between the fancy interchangable lense cams and the pocket ones like I mention above. We are willing to spend 300-400 on a decent camera. I would like it to take good pics, offer a little bit of entry level adjustability if there is such a thing. More or less somthing that will provide decent (10x minimum) optical zoom without all the bulk of the multil lens full feature cameras. I want to take some higher quality pics on my outings and I know that I will not carry a bigger camera, but I am sick of getting home and looking through a bunch of pics that just don't seem to catch the scenery anywhere near how I remember. One feature that I think would be nice is the rapid fire setting where it will keep hammering off pics for either a burst of x amount of pics or one that would just keep firing untill you released the button. My kids are into sports so being able to catch the goal in sequence would be a highly desirable feature. Sorry for me not knowing the technical features/terminology but I honestly have about a million other things I fill my time with and I likely will continue to be a dunce on this subject, thats why I have you guys here to point me in the right direction
    I am in the same Pickle. I recently went to best buy to look around. I found four that I thought fit the bill.
    sony

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650703335
    canon
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218012527719
    fujifilm
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217299537
    olympus
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202649426785

I am as yet undecided. I have heard very good things about olympus durability. The sony seems overpriced but is very solid, lots of metal. The fujifilm felt "cheap". The canon felt like good, but didn't look or feel as "tough" as the others, like I might be worried about having it out on trips, throwing it in the pack or getting wet and whatnot. All of them come jam packed with lots of features, canon and olympus have zoom to 20x, the others are 15.

Personally, I like cameras that use AA batteries that I can find anywhere if need be. As long as you use rechargeable NiMH or disposable lithium AA's they will last a long time. Of cameras icb12 lists, I think only the Canon uses AA batteries. I also know the Canon uses a standard USB cord - The typical mini on the camera end, and full size on the computer end. But I don't find this an issue, as using an external card reader is quicker (faster transfer speeds).

If you do by a superzoom camera make, sure you buy one with real optical image stabilization. Don't settle for all the fake schemes they cook up to not have to put in optical image stabilization. Any long lens camera needs this if you want to keep from blurry pictures at the long zoom settings, and it helps a whole bunch in marginal light situations with even short zoom settings.

Another good option in this category is the Panasonic FZ18. It uses a rechargable lithium battery, but otherwise is a good camera with an incredible lens, and plenty of manual controls when you want them. It also uses a standard USB cord.

For what its worth.. All of them do use 4 AA batteries EXCEPT the sony. Excellent point Jim, very useful, I had to go back through the specifications and check that out.
    something else I noticed, or was pointed out to me today, is that the sony and the olympus both have "special" memory cards. The canon and the fujifilm both use generic Secure Digital (SD) cards. Olypus and Sony require something Brand specific...its something else to consider, especially if you have more than one device using memory.

I think I have decided on the olympus. I found it online for under 300 dollars in stock new. So I can afford a new bow, a new camera and balljoints for my truck!!

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    For what its worth.. All of them do use 4 AA batteries EXCEPT the sony. Excellent point Jim, very useful, I had to go back through the specifications and check that out.
    something else I noticed, or was pointed out to me today, is that the sony and the olympus both have "special" memory cards. The canon and the fujifilm both use generic Secure Digital (SD) cards. Olypus and Sony require something Brand specific...its something else to consider, especially if you have more than one device using memory.

I think I have decided on the olympus. I found it online for under 300 dollars in stock new. So I can afford a new bow, a new camera and balljoints for my truck!!
    Speaking about your balljoints, I heard they went out 'cause you were driving like a maniac. Any truth to that?

Below is what I consider a great solution for you. Getting ready to buy one myself so the wife and I will have our own on float trips. It is the Pentax W60 waterproof camera. I have used a W30 (older model) on my last two float trips and they take very good pictures for a point and shoot. The new model is 10 megapixel and should be much better than the one I currently have. Completely waterproof too. You can take underwater pictures of fish and what not. Saw some great shots of grayling taken underwater with this camera. Just great cameras. Below are two links, one to a silver W60, and the other to a blue W60 (his and hers). Below that is a link to images I have taken with my Pentax W30. Very good images for a point and shoot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Two recent float trips where I used the Pentax W30. Click "slideshow" in the upper right when you open the below links and then you can toggle < or > through the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603622658629/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7607454754242/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I did not read your post fully, sorry. If you really need 10X zoom and all for sports, consider the below camera.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Speaking about your balljoints, I heard they went out 'cause you were driving like a maniac. Any truth to that?
    Ha.. No, that was the tie rod mounting bracket...

The balljoints-those are just due for service.

Im going to have to speak with her about spreading these terrible rumors, Maniac? Me? Never...

i have the olympus below. very happy with it. others available. waterproof, drop proof, etc. i have gotten it underwater and dropped it by accident. no problem. had the exilm casio, okay, but this is better in my opinion.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1363

good luck shopping

I don't have a lot of time to find you a good camera but I will say this. most cameras in the price range you are looking in are all going to be very close in quality. I have had great luck with Sony and Canon point and shoot cameras. May I offer this website for you to research:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
    use the camera library to see very in-depth reviews of most cameras. This is the single best site I have found for finding useful information. Narrow it down to a few and the look for reviews/opinions by actual users not professional reviewers. Hope this helps.

Brian