Thread: Opportunities for Musk Ox in Unit 22 this winter.

Default Opportunities for Musk Ox in Unit 22 this winter.

Been planning this post for a while. This was where I was going to extol the great opportunity all you res. had to come to Nome and hunt Musk Ox. Fairly long season, ample quota to assure time to hunt, etc. etc. Unfortunately, I didn't read the regs completely until recently. Turns out the opportunity for an enjoyable hunt is minimal.
    This is the first year the hunt is NOT a tier II hunt. Registration hunt open to all Alaska residents. Show up, get your permit, and go hunt. I thought ther permits would be available until the quotas were met and seasons closed. NOPE!. WRONG! Certain people within F&G are SOOOOOOOOOO.......worried this place will be flooded with hunters, they've stacked the deck against non locals.
    While the season is still long, Jan 1 to Mar. 15., quotas still high, 34 in 22c and 11 in 22D, permits are available only in Nome and surrounding villages, in person. Additionally, no permits will be issued after Dec. 31. So all you folks that don't live here, but want to try an Ox hunt are forced, more or less, to show up on Dec 30 or 31, get your permit, and start your hunt on Jan 1. Too expensive for most folks to fly here once for the permit and then a second time to hunt. Additionally, if you do get a permit, but wait to hunt, the quota is going to be filled. No one knows how many non locals will be hunting Jan 1. Because of that.........the locals are mostly planning to hunt then too. Since Jan 1 is a holiday, a thur. most of us locals are figuring a 4 day weekend and the 22C quota being filled by Sunday. Locals know where the good Ox hunting is, and snow conditions permitting, most of the bull Ox in that area will get hammered in those 4 days.
    Snow conditions will determine if this really comes to pass. Quite possible there won't be enough snow and few guys will hunt. We'll see.
    There are some services available. If anyone still wants to try a hunt, PM me. I think the 22D quota will take longer to fill, and there will be less hunters using that area.
    Hopefully next year things will change and there won't be such a rush to hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the update MT. I have a friend in Teller and have been planning to try and do this hunt for a while. I'm hoping next season is the year for me.

Default Destroy trophy value as well

I understand the trophy value will be destroyed as well. By cutting a section out of both horns.

Teller is a seperate registration permit. Might be chances there also, but the Dec. 31 cut off for permits makes it difficult/costly for the non locals.
    Yes, trophy value will be destroyed. 3 in. of the tip will be removed if the horns are taken from unit 22. Horns could be left here to be scored later. There is a B&C Ox scorer in Bethel I think.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thats how registration goat hunts are on kodiak as well, except you have to pick up the permit in the middle of oct and the hunt don't start till nov...keeping non locals at bay for the most part.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Moose in 23

It works the same way for Moose in unit 23 only you have to show-up in June-July, to bad they couldn't at least coordinate it so that you could do a round robin and get both permits, but than again that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it.
    I must admit even though it was not intended to do so, the way to reg.s are in 23 has worked for me so far. I have hunted the same river for the last three seasons a total of 37 days in the field and so far I have not seen a single person in the area, when in years past it seems like there was (normal season) several parties on the river.