Thread: Moving the boat....via Seward

Lightbulb Moving the boat....via Seward

Well, the cops left a little red note on the ROW today informing me it's time to park it next to the garage.
    I decided that on the way I might as well hit Seward in the morning. I was down that way today and got the fever. Called Fish House and they said there final trip out was weekend before last and limited between 20 & 90#.

Anybody hearing anything about any fish that way? Probably hammer out to Montague and work our way back if needed.
    Seas are now 2' (calling for 3' & building), barometers rising, wind out of the north at 2 MPH and the water is above 48. Other than fog, it should be a nice day for a boat ride.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default weather?

Should be a great weekend for the 55 mile trip to Montague
    PKZ120-190200-
    CAPE SUCKLING TO GORE POINT
    730 AM AKDT SAT OCT 18 2008

GALE WARNING THROUGH TONIGHT

TODAY
    E WIND 25 KT INCREASING TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS TO 55 KT IN THE
    AFTERNOON. SEAS 7 FT BUILDING TO 14 FT. RAIN SHOWERS.

TONIGHT
    NE WIND 45 KT. GUSTS TO 55 KT DIMINISHING AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SEAS 18 FT. RAIN.

SUN
    SE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 15 FT. RAIN SHOWERS.

SUN NIGHT
    E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 12 FT.

MON

Default Weekend fishing

Sounds like dream vacation! Might as well press on to Middleton and set the market
    I think I will stay in port and polish the boat for the spring.

Good Luck
    Chuck

Well they're not calling for snow at least!!!

Thumbs up Mission accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Should be a great weekend for the 55 mile trip to Montague
    The weather pattern seemed to be running at least a half a day later than predicted. The buoys looked decent. Water and air temps were up. Dropping out of Moose Pass I never saw any wind in the tree tops. All signs indicated it was worth running out to the cape for a look see. The kicker was pulling into Seward and seeing the bay nice and flat.

Had a blast today. It was a good drive down and we sped out of the bay. It was flat to Cape Resurrection. Which, as usual, was the start of the show. We bucked 4-5 footers and watched the squalls. Halfway across Day Harbor I decided to head up the bay thinking we could get some more sheltered water from the north wind, after a few back jarring waves. We hit a few places that had produced in the past (pulled a couple up) and watched the weather. It laid down and we headed out around the corner again. It was running 3-4' and gusting wind was whipping the tops of the waves.
    We pulled up at Whidbey and soaked some herring while looking to the east. Montague Straights and beyond was enveloped in a wall of fog 1,000' high. My buddy lost a big one after a 5 minute struggle.

But man it was laying down again. The siren song, just a little further.
    But I didn't want to be in any fog as fast as the weather was moving, so decided to fish our way back.

And glad we did. Saw lots (lots) of goats in most of the bays. Two were within 80' of the beach. The bay was kicking up pretty good by the time we got back in. 6'+ around the cape. Steep and deep, plowed green water a couple times. We hit a few more spots in the bay, but no luck. It was still light enough that I fished a hole along the coal conveyor. It drops deeper along the piles and I was always curious about late season silver carcasses collecting there. Nada on one drift.

Antifreezed the boat and was home by 10:30. Another successful adventure! The 2 fish in the freezer are just a bonus.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Bullbuster,

Sure beats riding the couch! Glad you had a good, safe final trip.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

you sound like you had a great trip. Sure beats sitting at home wondering how you would have done if you had gone!