Thread: Alaknak II tent and Cylinder Stove

Default Alaknak II tent and Cylinder Stove

I ordered the 12x20' Alaknak II and a Cylinder Stove, the Hunter combo model.

We'll see how well it works on the elk hunt.

I went scouting last weekend and it was 19 degrees... so it might be colder in 2 weekends....

KRS

Please do post what you think. My wife is interested in this setup as well so I am interested to hear how well it performs for you.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I had the 12x12 and the hunter was barely keeping up. The Alaknak tent is very thin walled. You will NOT be able to heat your big tent with the hunter stove especially in the winter. I could get my tent to 25 degrees up from -30. I needed very good wood to do this, and if you are burning anything that is not good quality you will be up constantly. The cylinder stoves are quality stoves however the Alaknak tent takes some work to get to draft comfortably. The woodstove will cause a draft to flow along the floor of the tent if you open any of the side vents except the one closest to the stove. This will freeze you unless you are on a cot even then it is not ideal. Another thing my 12x12 was not a consistant temperature across either the fabric doesn't hold heat that well and it will be quite cold on the corner opposite the stove. With a bigger stove you will have a comfortable tent for fall hunting, however it will come up very short if you were hoping for it to be comfortable in the winter! If you can change your order I would at the least step up to the larger stove, or perhaps have it modified to add a second stove jack.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    perhaps have it modified to add a second stove jack.
    That sounds like a good plan...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I ordered one also,

I just ordered the 12x20 Alaknak. I ordered it because my buddy has one and I have been it a couple of times. It is a very nice tent. An alternative to wood is the Yukon Stove. It has been around since 1950, but they work very well. They put of 60,000btu. They can burn just about anything, but are designed to burn unleaded gasoline. I have not used this stove in minus temperatures but it was designed for extreme arctic conditions. If anyone is interested in getting one, let me know and I'll pass on where you can get them delivered to AK for about $150.00. I can't wait to use mine. I was thinking about taking a little trip maybe to Skilac Lake or maybe Lake Lousie. Let us know what you think...

Follow-up:

Used it now several times, spent 1.5 weeks on the Salmon River in Idaho.... tent iced up from the low temps.

Stove and tent performed great.

Very pleased. No problems.

KRS