Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 win mag

Default 300 win mag

I am going out for black tail with a 300win mag. What bullet would you recomend using. This is the only rifle that I have and hope it will work for me. thanks

Default bullets

I usually shoot a midrange 180 gr out of mine. For a blacktail hunt last year i decided to shoot some cheap 150 gr. My rifle did not like those bullets. It took a couple trips to the range to get sighted back in with the 180s.

My advice, if your rifle is hitting right now with 180 or 200 gr - just go with it.

If you shoot them in the head you won't have too many problems with ruining meat. I've got the same problem, and I am using 180 grain bullets.

shoot whatever you shoot accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    shoot whatever you shoot accurately.
    I shoot the 300 fine. I was just woundering what grain would be good, or is 180 is ok.

thanks

Thumbs up

That will work perfectly

The 180s will def. get the job done. That's a lot of gun for Blacktails-but hey, its what you got. Im starting to think my .270 is too much for blacktails. My mom shoots the 22-250 and has no issues. I say run what you got and make em count.

Default think big

pick the size and shape of bullet that you think will work best for your bear encounter if you need it. 300 win mag is the perfect choice for blacktails in alaska

I Would Shoot What Your Shooting Now If Its 180 I Would Stay With It, If You Have Been Shoot Them And Know Where They Hit Use Them. I Use 180 Core Lok Hand Load And I Have Shot Grizzly Here In Alaska With Them Anilope In Montana With It. The Small Game You Want To Make Sure You Do A Heart Our Lung Shot On That Way You Don't Ruin An Meat. And You Allways Want To Make Sure There Nothing On The Other Side Of What Ever Your Shooting At, THe 300 Will Zip Right Throw Them. Skip

A fellow at the rabbit creek range, that seem to be knowledgeable, told me to use big bullets to keep the velosity down and it would zoom right thru without much damage. The good part is deer don't have much meat anywhere but the quarters, just don't hit them.
    PS, I've used my 338 win mag on deer before and the above discussion was about useing my 375 H&H. One of the fellows on this site has a trailer that sas, carry a rifle for what might be hunting you. Have fun!

Default Best gr. for Blacktails

A 150 gr. is more than enough bullet for blacktails, but as stated above some magnums dont like to group with the lighter loads spend some time at the range and see what shoots the best out your gun.

akfirefighter ,

Asking which 180 grain bullet to use is really way too broad of a question. I would use the 180 grain bullet that your gun shoots well, whether that is a Nosler Partition, Accubond, Trophy bonded/Tipped, Corelok, Scirroco, Barnes TSX, Win XP3, Nosler E-Tip or whatever other mid to premium factory load your gun shoots well. Us advising you to use a bullet that your gun may not like doesn't do you any good. It would help if you stated what you have been shooting with the gun and how that has worked for you on other animals. I would not pick a bullet specifically for blacktails, but rather what shoots well in your gun generally. Blacktails will die easily with whatever bullet you chose, it makes no difference. Place the bullet where you want and its game over. Any of the 180 grain factory loads will work well, find one or use the one your gun likes.

Default 150gr

The round which shoots best out of my 300WM, a Winchester m70, is a handload tipped with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip. It is by far the most accurate round ever fired from my gun. It is also VERY effective for sheep and deer. For light game the bullet perfoms as advertised.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    pick the size and shape of bullet that you think will work best for your bear encounter if you need it. 300 win mag is the perfect choice for blacktails in alaska
    Like holly says; "Think Big" If its off the shelf? I give two thumbs way up to (Winchester CXP3's) 180 Grain! Good luck on your hunt!
    P.S. If anybody out there is interested? Ive got a mint condition 12 gauge Mossberg 935 Autoloader 3-1/2 Inch Mag. Over in the swap & Sell Forum With Details & Pic's!

Definitely stick with the 180gr bullets. I went out to Kodiak 2 years ago for deer and Ionly have a 300WM. I brought 1 box of 150gr and 1 box of 180gr and after the first day I realized that there was no need to pack the 150's and the reason for that is because if you hike around the island a little you discover that the brush deer hang out in is thick and heavy which hides the deer really well, it also hides the bears really well and it would be real easy to walk right up on one of those big guys. I dont know if a 180 would stop a pissed off Kodiak any better than a 150 but the extra 30 gr cant hurt.

I'm going for blacktail with the same round, I'm thinking my 180 gr TSX may just poke a hole without too much damage. They are pretty tough bullets, may not open all the way on those little guys. Then again I may be wrong.

I'm thinking that it may be wise to hunt with a magnum type in case you jump a bear, is that likely?

Default Deer shot

I've shot a lot of deer in the neck. Not much meat to ruin, and if you pull still have a good chance at a kill shot. Puts them down. Always had 7mm
    Remington.

I was on Kodiak last fall and I wasn't on the South end of the island 3 hours and I had shot a blacktail buck and within 20 seconds of having squeezed the trigger I had a 9ft brownie do the dinner bell thing and charge into my direction. 60 yards was plenty close for comfort under the circumstances. IMO .....you cannot have too big a gun on Kodiak , regardless of what your actual quarry is.

any bullet for the 300 will be fine, chances of you having to actually shoot a brownie are pretty stinkin' slim, since its illegal to shoot one to get your deer back you'd be shooting once in defense of life, pretty low odds.
    The dinner bell theory is hasn't ever been proven, i've tried it with bears, shooting near them to see what they do, even shot a deer right next to a bear once and they haven't ever done a thing 'cept look around and go back to whatever they was up to. When bear are in close, they'll smell that deer quick and they'll be there in a heartbeat, they seem to smell the dinner bell, more than they hear it. That being said, there may be a few bears out there than can actually learn to tell the difference between sighting in a rifle, spring bear hunting, duck hunters shotguns, plinking and when a deer gets shot. if it was a dinner bell, we'd have alot more problems that what we are having.
    However being prepared for it is smart.
    I've shot alot of deer with the .338, a.375 and the .416. the .416 was to much, i had to shoot all the deer twice to put them down. the .338 and .375 worked much better with one shot kills and minimal meat damage. i'd opt for either of those for deer before i'd take my .416 or a .300. but like you said, you've only got the 300, i'd go with an X bullet so you don't ruin as much meat and still have a little pill to shove down a brownies throat should the need arise.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    The dinner bell theory is hasn't ever been proven,
    It may not be proven Jake, but my similar thoughts were blown out of the water last fall. It may have been because its a very popular area on the south end for deer hunters and therefore the bear/s have been able to regularly associate the sound of the gun , followed by the smell of a dead deer. But theres not a doubt in my mind based on the behavior I witnessed that this was not this bears first ride on the short bus. The only thing that saved his azz (or potentially mine....grin) was the fact that the wind was not in his favor. He came running wide open in our direction out of the alders immediately after the shot, and proceeded to do figure 8's in the alders below us as he closed in to 60 yards. He would stand up on his hind legs trying to wind the deer but absolutely couldn't, the wind was in our favor by about a 15 mph variable. After a while he gave up and headed down towards the beach. It was a bit nerve racking since my partner and I were only about 30 yards frrm the buck I had just shot and directly in the path between him and the deer. Twas a good thing the wind was blowing the way it was that day, or it would have likely been a mess for all 3 of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast