Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE deer hunters

Default SE deer hunters

I just wanted to share my experience yesterday while hunting Sitka Blacktail. I went on a dayhunt in the rain into the backcountry. I took my large pack and materials to bone out a deer. Included in my gear was a lightweight silicone impregnated tarp I always bring as an emergency shelter. Well I was successful and the rain was comming down in typical SE fashion. I broke out the tarp and strung it up in a temporary fashion. Caping and deboning that buck all of a sudden turned into a nice chore under the tarp cover.

Being a forum for ideas I thought I would share this experience. It helped make my field chores very clean and tidy while working in a full on downpour.

I've shot alot of Sitka deer and this is the first time using a tarp to make my field chores dry......just thought I would share.

hey that sounds like a great Idea I mostly just drag the deer out but next time I might have to try that.

Default worthless

this post is worthless without pix of that buck

Default Full on downpour

Well being in a deluge I choose not to risk my camera anymore. I've already ruined two over the years and haven't got the money to spring on a fancy waterproof version. No matter my care level....when its comming down hard water just gets in everything. I also choose not to carry anything more than neccessary. Afterall this was over three hours into the backcountry in coastal rainforest.

It was a fine buck about 17 inches wide, beautiful color antler, 3x3 with both eyegaurds and FAT! Pretty much premium condition pre-rut. Nothing amazing though.

Sorry I don't have a photo for ya folks. Sometimes up here in Alaska getting it done right and efficiently takes precidence over fancy.

I hope my idea helps some folks wanting to stay dry and safe while hunting the rainforest.

where were you hunting?

Default location

North of Sitka

I just hunt on sunny days ........ LOL

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I just hunt on sunny days ........ LOL
    What did you do, give up on Ktn and POW?

Default SE sun

No ..... just keeping the fire stoked .... here in the cabin .... and waiting for the sun to come out from behind those clouds ....

It has to happen someday ......

Default short hunts

Ya better get to calling from that deck.........ya might get a sucker hole comming through any minute. LOL

I remember a goat hunt a few years ago.....I was with a friend from Fairbanks. We rented a Forest service cabin the night before heading back into the woods for the week. The morning we were departing and drinking coffee at the table two Sitka deer walked out right out front. Nothing fancy just a dink buck and a doe. I told him to drop them and he almost didn't because it was "too easy". I had to teach him about "Alaskan Grocery Shopping". After getting out of the woods he was super grateful to have two deer already packed in the cooler and not having to carry em. The two goats we got really had us hammered.

So don't give up on that front deck ol' man.

Good luck on your rut hunts.........I had two deer come in to the call, a doe and a small buck. Its comming on slowly.

I've got one of those small sil-tarps too but never thought of it for that use. At least you had something to take care of. Are the bucks moving at all up there yet? Went out yesterday and only managed to call up a doe, but I did rattle in as black bear sow and cub right at the snow line, and then got charged by a marten. It was an interesting hunt while it blew about 40.....

Default Moving.....

Not really moving yet. They were in general up higher and I didn't see many fresh rubs. The one I shot was bedded down in the thick stuff.

When I start seeing plenty of rubs and they drop in elevation I'd say they are moving strong.

I'll be out on Thursday and look around some more. Hold on the winds should start up real strong tommorrow.

Good luck.

Default on the Island

I am seeing lots of pre rut sign ... out here on the Island.

I am also seeing quite a few early rubs and the cook / camp beatch (Dana)and packer / (Hunter) was out last week and saw a big buck chasing a doe. Dana took a nice meat buck and it sure is yummy !!!!!!!

This looks like it's going to be a very good rut hunt here.

My first hunter shows up on Fri .....

I had a cancellation of my last hunt. If anyone is looking for a Thanksgiving adventure give me a shout. I'm sure Dana can cook up a mean Turkey .... LOL

Default 'rut' is on the way

Jason just took a nice one .........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice Buck

Muskeg,
    That is one fantastic looking buck. Where was that taken? In Southeast somewhere? I just got the urge to go deer hunting. Congratulations

Good looking deer Johnnie, we'll be over Thursday, please leave us a couple.

This buck came from Prince of Wales Island .... not seeing as many rubs as I have in the past ... this early ... this buck didn't respond to the call. We were just hunting and spotted it .... it had us spotted first.

During the bad weather and snow of the last few days the deer were not moving ... hanging tight and hard to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Good looking deer Johnnie, we'll be over Thursday, please leave us a couple.
    Doh!..

There better be some left Thanksgiving time. We're running out of caribou, and heading home then.

BTW: Nice buck muskeg.

Either of you hear anything about any Elk spottings this fall? Guy I worked with earlier this year said that they saw about 6 as far south as the Hydaburg road.. I wouldn't mind bumbling into one.

You might have to try a different tactic when you come down at Thanksgiving, it is --GET OUT OF THE TRUCK,

I've heard the usual rumors about the elk, including one taken in the north. but it's probably just that, a rumor.

There has never been an Elk taken on POW yet. At leat no one has turned in the kill as required. Only rumors. None has ever been filmed or pictured on the Island. Only people saying I saw sign or saw some. But Troopers, Biologists, USFS persons, Pilots have ever officially reported any Elk. I know trappers in recent years that have traveled many many miles of winter snowy roads and have never cut an Elk track.

Moose have been hit by a car and filmed on POW .... and one 50+" bull even poached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast