Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Bison

Default Delta Bison

Leaving on Sunday for a hunt with a friend who drew a tag. Anyone have any input on what the snow situation is in Delta??

2" to 4" depends on where you go. The warm weather last week melted a lot of it. Hope that helps. ( Thats just around town, I don't get out to the feilds to often right now, so it could be differant out there.) E.S.

Thanks Rock

Default anyone have the schedule for bison hunting classes in delta

I need them or the number to call in delta. My packet was half empty when it showed up. In fairbanks they told me I had to talk to delta

I took my class on wednesday. I cant hunt till nov. 7th. I have the schedule at home and wont have access to it till the morning. Let me know if you still need it then and i will tell you the dates. Also, dont know if it pertains to you or not, DI403 mean any bison this year! I did not realize that until the class. Eliminates the need to identify sex for me. Still going to try for a bull though. I scouted for a hour and half on wednesday and found a group of 15-25 bison

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    I took my class on wednesday. I cant hunt till nov. 7th. I have the schedule at home and wont have access to it till the morning. Let me know if you still need it then and i will tell you the dates. Also, dont know if it pertains to you or not, DI403 mean any bison this year! I did not realize that until the class. Eliminates the need to identify sex for me. Still going to try for a bull though. I scouted for a hour and half on wednesday and found a group of 15-25 bison

You should be tagged out in a day then ,I would go up the day before the class since you took it early because you will have the place to youself until the class is over .Thats great they did that this year.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You should be tagged out in a day then ,I would go up the day before the class since you took it early because you will have the place to youself until the class is over .Thats great they did that this year.
    I am pretty sure that those bison knew I was not legal to shoot that day!! Good chance I wont have it that easy when I go down there to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    I am pretty sure that those bison knew I was not legal to shoot that day!! Good chance I wont have it that easy when I go down there to hunt.
    I drove around the Panoranic field 2 hours before the class started and spotted 10
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

My brother and father are up there right now and have been hunting two or three days. Today was the first time they saw any bison, but they weren't able to get a good enough look to pick out a cow. They'll be there through Sunday, so I'll post an updated report then. I'm heading up next weekend to help a friend with her cow bison permit.

I'm going up to Delta tonight. We only have two days to hunt this time around, so things will have to work out perfectly for us to be successful, but at least we're going to give it a shot. (Friend's permit - I'm just along to help clean it. )

My father did not get one in four days of hunting last week. They hunted the Schultz Farm tract 3. They saw a very large group one day, but there were just too many sets of eyes and the bison spooked before they could get close enough for a good ID on a single cow. They also saw a single immature bison another day that they could not ID well enough to pull the trigger.

Another guy I know shot one yesterday on their second day of hunting the Schultz farm tract 5. They took a large bull after finding a group of ~60 standing in the middle of the field aound 2pm.

That's all I know right now. I'll report on our hunt when I return, or possibly from up there if the B&B we're staying at has wireless.

Default anybody else going to be there next week?

I am going down sunday , my hunt dtarts monday and my wife can only be there till tuesday. After that I am on my own. I will hunt till Wednesday then go back to work for a few days. What is the cheapest place to stay if I decide I need a room for the night?

See you all there.

Andrew

Default Info For Bison Hunting In The Delta Area

I just returned from my Bison hunt. The first person you should call is Scott Shultz. You must pay a tresspass fee of 350 if you bag one. No kill no pay. I stayed at the Sivler Fox Road House, they have nice cabins for 80.00 a night. The nice thing about the Silver Fox is loaction. You will be in the hart of Bison country. I bagged my Biosn in 3 days of hunting.
    Good Luck

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    I am going down sunday , my hunt dtarts monday and my wife can only be there till tuesday. After that I am on my own. I will hunt till Wednesday then go back to work for a few days. What is the cheapest place to stay if I decide I need a room for the night?

See you all there.

Andrew
    I paid $119 / night on our moose hunt a couple weeks ago at the Kelly Alaska Country Inn. I did not call around to compare prices, but I'm guessing you could do better than that. Stopped into the camp ground / lodge on the right about a mile or two north out of Delta (can't recall the name) to ask a question and got to talking about lodging. When he asked where I was staying and what I was paying, he about choked when I told him. So he must be cheaper.

We payed $100/night for three people at the Tanana Loop Country Inn. They cook you a really good hot breakfast each morning, the fridge is stocked with milk, juice, hot pockets, and such, and there is a basket of donuts and other associated pastries on the counter. There was also a pot of hot coffee with breakfast, cable TV, and wireless internet. Well worth the price!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We payed $100/night for three people at the Tanana Loop Country Inn. They cook you a really good hot breakfast each morning, the fridge is stocked with milk, juice, hot pockets, and such, and there is a basket of donuts and other associated pastries on the counter. There was also a pot of hot coffee with breakfast, cable TV, and wireless internet. Well worth the price!
    If that was $34 per night per person, you should have kissed them on the way out the door. If it was $100 per person, I would say that is probably still not as bad as one might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If that was $34 per night per person, you should have kissed them on the way out the door. If it was $100 per person, I would say that is probably still not as bad as one might expect.
    $34 per night per person. Granted, we had to share one room (2 beds - a large bed for the husband/wife tandem and a single for me), but it was still well worth the price. Heck, the breakfast alone was worth the price! The Silver Fox is closer to the hunting grounds, but we'll be staying at the same place next time around.

Default Silver Fox is

$75 /night if you pay in cash, $80 for credit card. Kitchens are OK, not much in the way of cooking ware or eating ware for that matter. Bring paper plates and plastic forks and you'll be fine. Can always walk over to the Sawmill Lodge for a frozen pizza. They are pretty good with a cold beer.

Default No bison yet!

well we hunted for a couple days but saw no sign of the herds, I couldn't get on many of the farms because they were booked up, but I hope to next time. I was alittle confused on several farms though. They said they did not book hunters, but that it was first come first served. Then we showed up and were told the fields were already booked for several days to several weeks. I gues I misunderstood somehow. Anyone else see anything or tag out in the last week?

My father and brother are on their way up to Delta as we speak. My brother heard that the bison haven't been spotted on the usual farms for the past week or so, but obviously that's just second hand info. I'll post an update when I recieve one.

Default I heard the same thing

All the info I got was pretty much the same. very few bison seen in the last week or so. I am going to try and head down there this weekend again. I still need to fill my antlerless moose tag there too.

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast