Thread: Snow Machine Gear

Default Snow Machine Gear

Just looking for a couple of good spots to shop for Snow Machine gear, womens boots and bibbs mainly. We are in the valley and the selection out here is very limited. I want quality stuff but we don't ride enough to justify five or six hundred dollars for it.

Suggestions?

Thx,
    Xanfly

Did you try Fish Creek Sales on the Palmer/Wasilla Hwy? Last time I was in there they had a decent selection.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Been to Fish Creek Sales. Didn't find anything the wife liked. Just looking for some different options. We found some bibbs online but for the boots she needs to try them on first.

Army Navy, 6th Ave Outfitters, and B&J Commercial would be my first stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Army Navy, 6th Ave Outfitters, and B&J Commercial would be my first stops.

Thanks I will check those places out.

You don't need anything fancy, just hit REI and find something she likes. I got my wife some skidoo boots and I can't really tell the difference between them and many of the snowboarding boots that cost a good bit less! Bibs are easy, just get some north face or marmot or REI brand whatever are comfortable. We purchased Arctiva gear from fish creek and we are pretty happy with it for the $$. I have been riding when it was VERY cold and it kept me comfortable. Others may argue and believe me I want the Klim gear too but honestly most of my friends have been comfortably riding with Ski/Snowboarding gear for many years now!

I found my Klim bibs on EBay for 1/3 the price of new. Bar none they have been the best snowmobile bibs I have ever owned. I even wear them at work in my lumber yard and in the fall running heavy equipment. I wouldn't hesitate to pay full price for a set now, but my 5 yr old set is still going strong.

I wear Klim gear when I ride. Before Klim I wore North Face gear. Before that I used Sno-Rider, and I still have very fond memories of it. In fact I still have some bibs around here from 20 years ago. And they fit!

Sno-Rider is pretty good stuff for a really good price.

http://www.katahdingear.com/test/welcome.htm

One recommendation is to get the outer shells waterproof/resistant and UNinsulated. I did this with my bibs from Cabelas and they are fantastic. Having uninsulated outer shells allows you to properly layer up underneath with good materials.

I will make a couple of rides a year in below 0* weather, but 80% of my riding is in the 10-30* range. Quite often I ride with only one thin layer of polypro under my bibs and just the shell of my jacket. I also always ride with a backpack so I have a place to stow my unneeded clothing as I warm up during the day.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Also check out Burlington Coat factory.

I got my last pair of Red Ledge bibs there for $49.

I would recommend you check out Dennis Kirk, we bought some snowmachining clothes last spring and got most of it at half price or better. As much as I like the clothing offered by my dealership, I won't pay those prices when I know I can order them and get them cheaper even with shipping.

HAHA... Are you serious?? Could it possibly be that you are part of this group. No problem with it, just find it funny that you are acting like you don't really know who they are, but talk them up so much, and you name just "happens" to be the same as the website. No harm man just come clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    HAHA... Are you serious?? Could it possibly be that you are part of this group. No problem with it, just find it funny that you are acting like you don't really know who they are, but talk them up so much, and you name just "happens" to be the same as the website. No harm man just come clean.
    I dont follow.....was this unintentionally posted in the wrong thread or am I missing something??

Back on track....As far as snowmachining clothing, like everyone said, buy stuff thats comfortable, fits well, and making sure stuff is waterproof is nice. A big plus that will make life nicer when riding is finding a good helmet/goggle setup. I'm sure most of us on here have done the whole helmet/visor routine and its such a pain! I'll never go back to a helmet with a visor, goggles with a moto style helmet all the way!

Thanks for the info guys. We ended up ordering Choko Uninsulated bibbs online, not cheap stuff but better than the $250+ stuff, plus they match her coat and sled. VERY important. We found some good boots @ BJ's. Seems like a lot of places were late getting their new stuff in this winter.

I can tell you that there is a huge difference between good snowmachining gear and lets say....regular ski clithes and Carhartts . I have been looking at getting some new riding gear and man those Sled Brand jackets and bibs/pants are expensive, but man do they fit well. The stuff has been designed to be worn for riding. Things like articulated knees and elbows, short coat collars to accomodate a helmet, and of course their breathability, waterproof qualities, reinforced butt sections and knees, and strategically placed insulation. I definately see the value in the stuff , but dammm its expensive.