Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit ethics

Default Rabbit ethics

before I get my panties in a twist I wanted to hear some feed back on some small game ethics. Today I was around a very popular area in the interior for all types of recreation, Skiing, mushing, atving, hunting, snow going. Basically everyone enjoys this area. I approached a popular pull out not to far in the road as a vehicle was leaving. I just so happened to have my dogs with me and no vehicle to put them in. These guys left anywhere between 40 and 50 rabbit skins in this popular pullout. I understand that blood soaks in the snow and I did not have issue with the "Saw" looking crime scene but my concern was the amount of animal left behind. Maybe I am missing something, but is it appropriate ethics to leave the carcasses of this many rabbits behind where the next users dogs can get into the mess? I would think that a few hides could be tossed from the roadside, but that many should have been dealt with in a different manner.

Page 18 of the regulations under common violations makes it pretty clear that what they did is not a case of ethics but is in fact illegal!!

Mark

Rabbit ethics
    I've never met a rabbit with a bit of ethics.

My daughter rescued somebody's pet rabbit, then brought it home to Mom and Dad when she moved out of her apartment and moved into her uncle's place (and who absolutely wouldn't allow a rabbit to live at his home).

This beast has no ethical morals at all, and being an ethical kind of guy myself, I just can't bring myself to making a home for this rabbit in my freezer.

I suppose part of that is because my wife and daughter threatened me, but at least I have the dignity to obey..............

What exactly was left behind? The skins or the whole rabbit?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

doesn't matter (okay it does, wates wise) the mess is in plain view of the road and thats wrong. the regs and every thing we know says to no leave a bad image behind.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    before I get my panties in a twist I wanted to hear some feed back on some small game ethics.
    More important question would be........You wear panties????!!!

Sure, sometimes, don't you?

What we saw was fur, little gut piles, heads, both front and rear legs. It was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    More important question would be........You wear panties????!!!

I always leave my rabbit carcasses in the woods for the magpies and foxes, but I always make sure they aren't close to a trail or road. It is just common sense not to and I think any law enforcement person would see it the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    .... both front and rear legs. It was a mess.
    If they were leaving the legs, I wonder what they took?? There isn't much meat on a bunny other than the legs!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Front and back legs left on the ground! What a shame.

In my opinion, the front leg of a bunnie is the best eaten God put on earth. Not a lot there, but sure is sweet. Makes very good gravy too.

yea there's a ton of unethical hunters in this state... get used to it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Must have been

working up a dinner of rabbit short ribs or something.
    I may need an anatomy lesson here... Did they take anything?
    It is certainly dis-courteous, in my view un-ethical (decidedly unethical!) and should be illegal if it isn't.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Ethics from my perspective

I don't know if this helps, but here is my perspective on ethics of carcasses with respect to birds:

If its one or two birds, once the legs and breast meat is salvaged, I will chuck the remains at least 30 feet from any trail during the winter, a bit further if its summer and I am not wading through snow to do it. I will butcher in a parking lot next to my truck for the benefit of a nice working surface and heater for the inevitable frozen fingers, but the guts have to get tossed. Yes there are tons of feathers drifting around and red snow, but no actual guts or skin. If its more than a few and I am not in a remote place I will normally bag up the guts and toss them when I get home... this has 2 purposes in my opinion: 1 Be polite and 2. Don't reveal the locations of good spots to anyone who pulls up to the parking lot!

Just my 2 cents -- I don't hunt rabbits so I have no clue if there is any meat on the legs or not, imagine as strong as they hop there has to be a lot of muscle there...

-waste not want not!

Default Get 'em next time!

I guarantee that slobs with a bunny hole like that will be back. Money down it's not the first offense in that exact parking lot. If you frequent that spot quite a bit, make a formal complaint, describe the vehicles as best you remember, take pictures if you're serious, and when the next time happens, GET the buggers!

Good Luck cleaning the place up. Can you imagine the generalizations non-hunters make from a scene like that?

Default carcasses

you should tell me EXACTLY where the place is so i can.....er......take some

pictures an stuff.....

don't bother posting it on the general thread.....just pm me directly

those *******s

Red face Me too...

Jakaldoc is onto something....tell me too where this place is where 40-50 bunnies were shot...so we can er.. stake it out... and stuff.

40 - 50? well now i know why im only seeing 6 max when i got out. i used to see more. alot more. too many people hunting that area. i need to move on i guess.

but back to it. yup dead wrong. move the gut pile. hunting 101. wonder if they were after just the backstraps? cant believe they left all the legs out. must have been bad shots.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    I always leave my rabbit carcasses in the woods for the magpies and foxes, but I always make sure they aren't close to a trail or road. It is just common sense not to and I think any law enforcement person would see it the same way.
    Same here ...fling the waste material deep into the woods rather than leave the stuff on or near the road. But I do see people doing that all the time. And big piles of garbage with thousands of bullet holes in it, and all sorts of things. You just can't teach some people.

Brian

watched some people do it this weekend. Cleaned them right next to a creek to wash them off and tossed the skins,guts and heads onto the ice about five feet off the road, not into the brush which was about 5 feet to the left of where they landed on the ice. Made an off-handed comment to my son about it being illegal to leave guts and carcasses next to the road and got two rude looks and the third guy mumbling. They are within plain sight of where you drive by. They did have the feet in a neat little pile like they were gonna keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    yea there's a ton of unethical hunters in this state... get used to it
    This is how corruption sneaks in to any aspect of life.

Not picking on you Monkey.

Evil isn't fought in big battles, but in every day life when we see something wrong and DON'T get used to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast