Thread: Halibut rig question

Default Halibut rig question

I am tying up some halibut rigs and was wondering how long do you make your leader? I will be using parachute cord and 16/0 VMC circle hooks. Thanks for the help!

I go about 16-18" w/ a 6" segment for sinker slider.

A lot of people are now using those underwater strobes, too. You might want to look into that, as some swear to it's success. Not sure the best place or way to attach to an already heavy rig.

I like the lights sliding on the length of the rig so it`s not always in their mouth...especially for the lings.

Go about 16" and get yourself some good corkscrew swivels to put your lead on. I hate sinker spreaders.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Please!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am tying up some halibut rigs and was wondering how long do you make your leader? I will be using parachute cord and 16/0 VMC circle hooks. Thanks for the help!
    ... as per another thread, don't use parachute cord! The stuff is strong, no doubt, but it is way too limp, and tangles on itself. Use the heavy mono, or seining twine, or just buy the ready-mades, they are cheap! You can buy them at Freddy's, Safeway/Carrs, Trustworthy, or a bunch of other places. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Default Tuna cord...

I like a 2' leader. I have used the 300 lb. mono with crimps, the white cord the commercial guys use and the green 350 lb. tuna cord. It all works for halibut. I probably prefer the green tuna cord as it comes in a big roll and is tough stuff. A over hand knot thru the eye of the hook and another one 2 ' up to stop the cork screw swivel from sliding down with the weight.

There is this green cord you can buy in 300# test and it is awesome stuff. I hear you can get it at B&J's in Anchorage and it's at the gear shed in Homer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I live in MN so i have no access to any of those places. I will go with Para cord and replace it if it gives me any problems. I made a dozen 1-3 lb sinkers and now its time to tie up some rigs. Thanks for your help guys!

Default If you haven't already used the parachute cord...

... you may want to go to a small engine shop and buy the thinnest pull cord they have, such as for a chainsaw. It will be strong and have lots of body. I would imagine that mono weed whacker line would also work. Another idea might be small diameter braided steel cable available at Home Depot or hobby shops. I use it for my halibut pipe lures. Use crimps on the mono or the cable.

Trust me, when you are bouncing a leader made of parachute cord off the bottom it WILL get tangled on itself. You need something stiff. Stiff gets the job done. Limp don't catch nothin' be it fish or ladies.

B&Js in Anchorage sells spools of white net mending line, its a little bit smaller diameter than parachute or 550 cord, the stuff is incredibly strong (650lb tensile), doesnt stretch much, and is just a little stiff.

I went there looking for tuna cord and they turned me onto that, and it works great.

BTW another vote AGAINST spreader bars; I started out using them but quickly moved on to using a slider.

Its cheap too

A limp leader is guranteed to tangle up, and considering how much one spends going out on a halibut trip, it makes absolutely no sense to use the wrong tackle.

I've tried a variety of cheapy home made tackle, and ended up just tossing alot of it. I'd rather be fishing than untangling gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A limp leader is guranteed to tangle up, and considering how much one spends going out on a halibut trip, it makes absolutely no sense to use the wrong tackle.

I've tried a variety of cheapy home made tackle, and ended up just tossing alot of it. I'd rather be fishing than untangling gear.

I have limp leaders and yes they do get tangled up. to fix that I put about foot and half of glow tube on. I run my leaders about 2 feet. this is so I can grab the line and toss the fish on board while someone holds the weight.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Hook Size

Is anybody out there using smaller circle hook's? I was thinking of downsizing to a 10/0 or 12/0. Anybody had a problem with straightening out the smaller hooks on bigger fish?

Seems like a lot of the time a 14/0 will be catching fish and a 16/0 will not.

I think I am going to go to a Lighter Rod & reel setup and make up some rigs with 10/0 Circle hooks. We always try for some bigger Halibut but end up moving over to the 20-25 pounders, might as well make it a little more of a challenge.

I fished with a big (and excellent) charter company in Seward, and he had some small (4/0 to 8/0, I think) circle hooks rigged with a snell on fairly heavy mono, about 60-80#. Tied onto a banana weight, used a smaller herring. We hammered fish (even some in the 40# class) on those at the end of the day. He said he used them when the fish seemed leader-shy. I have rigged some of these up, but haven't had to use them. Of course, if you fish Cook Inlet, you'd have very little time to be able to get banana weights to hold bottom. Always good to have another weapon in your arsenal.

Mort

Here is my take, halibut are not leader shy. You can ask any longliner they have caught more fish on a single set than we will catch in our lifetimes on ganon. Good luck telling your weekend angler that with his nose in a SWS magazine. So you use mono well here are the disadvantages. Crimping, once a wicked tanlgle occurs you can't just cut and re-tie now you have to cut and crimp. Dogfish my favorite animal in God's green earth, they really enjoy mono leaders. I have actually been personally thanked by dogfish for making their day for using a mono leader. Expense well mono leaders do cost more. If mono makes you happy than fish mono, here is what I will say you do not need a size 22 circle hook to catch any fish in the world. Use a good mustad circle 12-14-16 at the biggest and sharpen your hooks. Sharp hooks catch fish, I can't tell you the amount of proffesional anglers I have seen with dull hooks. Learn how to sharpen your circle hooks if you need to tweak the barb out a little to sharpen it do so but keep them sharp. Yes the trolling weight does catch fish when you can get it down. I'm not quite sure why, if it is fish being leader shy or added action or sensitivity or maybe a combination of all three. (Leader length 3' with a 18" slider section)