Thread: Bear meat.

Default Bear meat.

What is the best time of the year for good bear meat?

In my opinion, August bears that have been up in the high country eating blueberries are the best. There weren't many blueberries in a lot of places this year, though, so I would guess that the bears may stay out later this fall trying to fatten up. The blueberry thing goes for both blacks and grizz IMO, although many on here will probably disagree with me. Lots of guys just have it in their heads that grizz aren't edible.
    Last edited by walk-in; 10-16-2008 at 19:08. Reason: added info

I've had spring Griz that was good in a stew. Do Blackies retain that salmon taste in the fall?

Default Spring Bear

I shot a spring bear this year, fresh out of the den. It's been some of the best meat I've ever had.

by far my spring Blackies where awesome.The meat was sweet and tender.On top of that the family loved every bit of it and the boys went thru my hunters sticks like candy.My bear was harvested on the 5th of June.SO next year Im getting two for the meat and I'll look for one nice big bear.

My high country griz tastes as good as the 3 year old moose I got last year.

Spring Bear for me too!
    My wife is very particular about wild game. She was hesitant at first but she loved the the spring black bears that I harvested. We miss having that in our freezer.

Default spring

Have only eaten spring black bear, three this year and holy s#$t is it good meat!!! The wife and I started canning a couple months back so I am going to have her send me some. Bear, sheep, caribou and moose!!!!
    While others are eating in the chow hall I will be eating wild game!!!!!!!