Thread: Any current Kenai or Anchor reports?

Default Any current Kenai or Anchor reports?

Gotta go to Kenai next week...any silvers still to be caught from shore? Just want to know if I should bring some gear or not....

Possibly try for my first steelhead ever? Are they still around? I won't have more then a couple of hours to devote to fishing, so I'm just looking for my best shot at catching anything.

Thanks!

Tons of silvers to be had, fish the big slow pools in the Upper Kenai between Hamiltons and Cooper Creek. Fly rod with big purple or black articulated leaches or fish marabou or rabbit jigs under a float.
    The fishing is good until freeze up with now being prime time. These holes hold 100+ fish each. Ask the guys at Troutfitters where to access.
    Looks like the Anchor is coming down after last weeks flood but it;s still a little bit high looking at the flow data. Steelies will also be available until freeze up.

Good luck and let us know how you did!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Tons of silvers to be had, fish the big slow pools in the Upper Kenai between Hamiltons and Cooper Creek. Fly rod with big purple or black articulated leaches or fish marabou or rabbit jigs under a float.
    The fishing is good until freeze up with now being prime time. These holes hold 100+ fish each. Ask the guys at Troutfitters where to access.
    Looks like the Anchor is coming down after last weeks flood but it;s still a little bit high looking at the flow data. Steelies will also be available until freeze up.

Good luck and let us know how you did!!!
    Thanks for the info...I appreciate it. I've never fished for silvers on the Kenai this late in the year...are they spawned out or are there still some fresher ones coming up? Would I be totally wasting my time if I tried Swiftwater in Soldotna? (It's just closer to where I'm going to be for work)

You will catch a mix of chrome, lightly & heavily blushed silvers in the upper river now. Here are some shots of the fish I caught during the last week of September in the middle river (above Bing's). These are the fish that are now holed up in the upper river.

Kenai would be the better bet. Water levels are still looking a bit high for the anchor.

Those are some nice fish, drifter. I'd take just one of those and be happy about it!

Maybe I'll stop at one of the holes below the Russian ferry on the highway side and see what I can see. I don't really know the upper river "holes" all that well, so it'll be kind of a crap shoot. It may work out that I don't have enough time, anyway. I keep forgetting it gets dark now

Anchor is high and muddy
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

not anymore... was there today
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Begs the Question

And how was the steelheading?

Default Anchor

Fished the Anchor today. Still a little high and the color of tea. Not many steelhead and lots of people.

Fished the Kenai last weekend and did fairly well.

there are fish there if you're willing to work for them... and freeze your nuts off.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default I didn't catch but...

I watched a guy land a 35" x 18" rainbow...I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it and seen the tale of the tape. It was a HORSE of a fish!!!

There are still fish available...just gotta work at it with the right gear.

Cheers,

IceKing02

We fished the Kenai yesterday and manage a couple nice bows. Never put a tape to them, just held up for a quick pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images