Thread: woopeckers

Default woopeckers

Well I was on the couch today and heard something rapping on the house . I checked the door and nothing . sat back down , few minutes later ..rap rap rap rap ... I open the door and there stairing at me is a woodpecker ... now the question is how do i make sure they dont come back ? Owl or hawk statue work?

That might work for a short period, but you might want to check for bugs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Well I was on the couch today and heard something rapping on the house . I checked the door and nothing . sat back down , few minutes later ..rap rap rap rap ... I open the door and there stairing at me is a woodpecker ... now the question is how do i make sure they dont come back ? Owl or hawk statue work?

we have rough cut siding on the house the peckers seem like... I started hanging the bones of the moose out on the tree out front they like those better...
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Whats with the bottle Vince, birch sap?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Whats with the bottle Vince, birch sap?

yellow jacket trap.. cut top off pop bottle turn it over and tie in side, like a funnel. they fly in for bait and get in the olive oil..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Sometimes it's just the sound of the pecking!

Woodpeckers seem to peck for the sheer joy of it, as well as part of their mating rituals...and they particularly like rough siding, such as cedar in our area, or anything that is easy to make the chips fly. They will also peck a hole in the siding to make a nest, if their pecking detects a hollow sound behind what they are pecking. I've even watched and heard them pecking on metal power poles or metal plates on wooden poles.

One thing that often works is to make a loose foil ball and hang it on a string from the soffit or eave where they are pecking. Sometimes they leave, sometimes they switch sides of the house, so up go more foil balls.

As a last resort....this comes from a guy who had a woodpecker whacking on his metal soffit at 4am everyday, and he worked the late shift...try a rat trap....peck peck peck BANG! But, only if they are causing significant damage; I've seen thousands of dollars of damage from one flicker on cedar sided and trimmed houses, every corner of the trim rounded off and damaged.

Ron ID/AK