Thread: Bacon

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Bacon

Does anyone have a good method for making moose bacon? i used the thick flap off the rib meat last time. it taste and smelled great just tough.... i would like to keep at it though....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mikes in Eagle River makes it (excellent by the way) by grinding it VERY course (like 3/8-1/2" holes) along with some pork and spices then smokes it molded in the shape of a brick. Just slice it after it is smoked and you are good to go. Not true bacon, but it is very good for breakfast (really anytime...). I toss it on the grill for a few minutes and it turns out great.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Try High Country seasoning called "buckboard bacon" I do several hundreds pounds of each year.

Default tough bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Does anyone have a good method for making moose bacon? i used the thick flap off the rib meat last time. it taste and smelled great just tough.... i would like to keep at it though....
    Tough meat-bacon? Best remedy for that I have found is to age your meat very well. I leave my rib meat on the bone and hang it for about two weeks in an airy, 40-45F place to age. You may want to lightly smoke it first. There will be some crust and dry meat on the top, but that can easily be trimmed away. The dry/crust meat can be used for another day/recipe if it has been kept clean and insect free. But that is another threadů

When you cut you the bacon, get the meat really cold, even slightly frozen and it will slice nice and even and thin. So much better than anything store bought!

It is worth the time and effort.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley