Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter first hunt problem

Question Daughter first hunt problem

What's your thoughts and ideas on this situation. Taking my 13 year old daughter on her first deer hunt Sat. here in N.C. and the state allows you 6 deer, 2 hunter choice, 2 bucks, and 2 does. Should I allow her to take the first deer available or should I make her wait to harvest a buck for her first deer? What have you done or what would you do? I realize there are many schools of thought and I can't make up my mind. On a side note she likes to poke fun that I never get anything, and I keep tring to tell her that it's called hunting and not killing, and that you don't get something every time you go. So if a doe shows up first do I make her wait so that she learns patience and the first kill should be a buck or do I let her take a doe so that she experiences success right off the bat and gets hooked? Maybe we'll get beginners luck and that monster buck will show up first, but then I might have to show her how it's done

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    What's your thoughts and ideas on this situation. Taking my 13 year old daughter on her first deer hunt Sat. here in N.C. and the state allows you 6 deer, 2 hunter choice, 2 bucks, and 2 does. Should I allow her to take the first deer available or should I make her wait to harvest a buck for her first deer? What have you done or what would you do? I realize there are many schools of thought and I can't make up my mind. On a side note she likes to poke fun that I never get anything, and I keep tring to tell her that it's called hunting and not killing, and that you don't get something every time you go. So if a doe shows up first do I make her wait so that she learns patience and the first kill should be a buck or do I let her take a doe so that she experiences success right off the bat and gets hooked? Maybe we'll get beginners luck and that monster buck will show up first, but then I might have to show her how it's done
    I take my girls all the time... bear, moose bou.. i think it is important that they learn how... first. let her take the first legal animal you can... get her feet wet and then as you have so many chances you can wait for the big one at the end of it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default influence...

You have a limited window of opportunity to guide your child towards outdoor interests. And in the next few years your daughter will seek your influence less and less. So my "vote" is to harvest the first reasonable target. Keep the hunt fun and hopefully successful.

In future years you can teach the "patience issue", the "sometimes it takes guts and pain issue", and the "hold out for the big trophy issue".

For now...have a blast...hope she goes hunting with you for many years to come.

Dennis

What does your daughter want to do? If she wants to wait for a buck, then that is what I would do. If she is fine with a doe as her first deer and a shot is available, then harvest it. I think the most important part of the trip, deer or not, is that your daughter has a good experience so that she wants to do it again. Remember to bring lots of snacks.

I would leave it up to her to decide. When I took my oldest son on his first hunt for mulies many years ago, I had spotted a forked horn with several does and pointed them out to him. I told him it was up to him if he wanted to try and take him or not.....he jumped at the chance to bag his first deer. He made a prefect 125 yard shot and killed the buck in his tracks. It was no B&C buck by any means but he was very proud of that little buck and still talk's about it to this day. Enjoy your time in the woods with your kids, they will grow up and be gone before you know it.

I'd say first opportunity .... take it .... It will get her over the "first fear" so when she has a chance at a real buck she wont hesitate

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Daughter's choice

I agree with letting her decide. This is her hunt, let her choose the outcome.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

I say take the first legal deer that comes by. If its a doe she will still have that drive to take a buck and have another first. I took a doe first then I took my first buck two years later and its was just as exciting. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Default Fun

Whatever you or she decides to do - above all - have fun. Everyone who mentioned that they grow up to fast is more than correct. My "kids" are in their 40s. I wouldn't trade a day with them (as youngsters) for all the money in the world.

I also agree with leaving it up to her. Although, be it a buck or a doe it will be meat in the freezer and a memory that will last for ever.

13?

Ribbing you about getting skunked now and then is as light as it gets from here on out, Dad. So take the ribbing with a grin and don't give it back to her if she chokes up a little when she's standing over her first deer.

You've been teaching her right from wrong by what you've done for 13 years, not what you make her do this year. So have the conversation with her before you take her out. Tell her why taking bucks vs. does matters to you (assuming it does), and let her make a choice. Tell her it's her decision, then back her up on it.

Good on you for living life with your kid. And good luck!

Default Have fun!

Hi Tom,

Take her out for breakfast the morning of the hunt, and spend some more time sharing your values about hunting with her. You have learned a lot in your hunting career and now you get to pass some of that on. Savor every moment, every opportunity not only to be with your daughter, but to share with someone who wants to hear what you have to say. Time is slipping through our fingers, friend, like a well-greased string. You cannot stop it. So make some good memories with her while you can.

I think you will know what to do when the time comes. I agree with letting her choose, but tell her that ahead of time. Then when the time comes, it will be right.

Afterwards, show her why we take such good care of our game. Explain the preciousness of life, and the fact that we can take life, but we cannot create it, and that it's okay. I would also give her some time alone with her deer, if it seems good to you. You know these things.

Take pictures so when the mind gets old you can remember.

Savor every second.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

For what it's worth, My daughter took her first deer at 12 years old, and it was a doe. She was just itching to shoot anything. My biggest concern was that the deer either fell stone dead in it's tracks, or that it ran out of site before falling. I knew that eventually she would have to watch the death throes, but I was concerned that she had some experience under her belt first. She got her third deer when she was 17, and shot a very young deer at near dark, and was sitting by herself(no coaching from dad...I was about a hundred yards away, but out of sight). She got upset about shooting a "baby" and lost her desire to hunt.....b ut only for a season. She is now 20 and plans her trips home from college to try to coincide with the rut. I agree with Mike and Phil...Savor every second because I wouldn't trade those trips for all the money in the world either.

Let her have the oppurtunity to choice and congratulate her on her choice. I took my daughter at 13 for her first hunt, for caribou and she choosed what animal to take. Two years later she still talks about it. Good Luck!

What's your thoughts
    I think this post is about hunting outside and has absolutely nothing to do with Alaska Hunting. I also think it is an "oversight" on the part of a moderator to respond with a post and not move it to the proper location. Other than that, kids need a kill real quick if you want them to stay motivated and play the game. Get the first kill out of the way and just have fun on the remainder of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I think this post is about hunting outside and has absolutely nothing to do with Alaska Hunting. I also think it is an "oversight" on the part of a moderator to respond with a post and not move it to the proper location. Other than that, kids need a kill real quick if you want them to stay motivated and play the game. Get the first kill out of the way and just have fun on the remainder of the hunt.
    I appreciate your comment but I think that the situation has everything to do with alaska. It's more about teaching our children and there is probably more kids that hunt in alaska than anywhere else and this discussion would benefit everyone. I'm leanning towards the common response here and would like to thank everyone for their input. I'm curious if there is anyone on the other side of the coin and what would be your argument?

Default enjoyable

Agreed with your comment about this topic being EVERYTHING about what this forum is about... knowledge sharing, love of hunting and passing on our traditions....

ok, off my soapbox.

I like what Mike S said.... go with your gut. talk to her in advance about what it will feel like to see the first animal, get her ready for those feelings that will surge as your getting ready to take an animal...

If the first animal is not "right" don't try and force a shot. look for the right condition, not whether its a doe or buck. even the biggest buck, if taken badly, will be leave a bad memory.... the conditions of how the hunt and shot happen will be far more important in the long run than whether it was a doe or buck. make sure its an easy shot she is comfortable with.

I took my teenage daughter hunting with me this summer... it was her first hunt where she could actually pull the trigger... it was a lifelong memory experience... cherish it!!!

Congrats Tom and hunt well

Greg

Thanks for bringing this topic up, tboehm. I'll hopefully be taking my 10 year old nephew out for his first bear hunt next year, and I've wondered the same thing. It's great reading the different opinions.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I appreciate your comment but I think that the situation has everything to do with alaska. It's more about teaching our children and there is probably more kids that hunt in alaska than anywhere else and this discussion would benefit everyone. I'm leanning towards the common response here and would like to thank everyone for their input. I'm curious if there is anyone on the other side of the coin and what would be your argument?
    Having sat on three first hunts with the kids as the shooter this year.... JUST BE PATIENT... give clear concise directions... let her help decide the plan..( she'll do what you suggest) but let her deside... and when you turn to see her eating berries...... crawling around on the ground...or picking flowers.... be genital after a minute and remind her why your there...

you'll never forget it.. some where here is a post I made on my daughters first caribou hunt this fall what a joy and we didn't tag at all and we don't care...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default The philosophy of it all-

Tom,

Jose Ortega y'Gassett's famous quote "one does not hunt in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted" is coming to me again with your situation. I would take the pressure away for her to have to kill something. Should we not teach our kids that it's about the hunt, not just about the killing? I mean, that's sort of like saying marriage is all about sex, isn't it?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast