Thread: DC001-Any success this year so far?

Default DC001-Any success this year so far?

Has anyone hunted this draw yet? I drew it in '05 (struck out) and would love to do this hunt again. Any success stories for Kenai Caribou, or has anyone tried it this year?

Tim

Default Haven't Hunted Yet

I have the DC001 tag but haven't gotten out there this year, did fill a moose tag. I am thinking about trying it in mid-November. From the reports I've gotten the bou are still well west of the Resurrection Trail and that is the area I want to hunt.

Anyone else with this tag that wants to try to partner up can give me a PM, I'm pretty flexible on my plans.

I hav been out twice on DC-001 this year and will be going in again next week till I fill the tag. I know of 6 guys that have been successful this year. WRENCHER has a story posted from this years hunt and he took a bull.

My wife has a tag. We have hunted a few times but no success. We hope it snows early december so we can take sleds in.

Bunnyhugger season- I could be wrong but I don't think you can take a snowmachine on Resurrection Trail this winter. We lost it to the bunnyhuggers for this winter. Of course they can use it any time they want, any year, but snowmachines are now only every other winter.

Maybe someone can post a link to the National Forest on this.

(Unless of course you meant dog sleds)

they only open the area to snowmachines after a certain amount of snow anyway, and iirc that amount has not fallen prior to the end of the year (and thus close of the hunt) any time in the last several years, so i don't think the "big scary evil bunnyhuggers" have jack**** to do with whether or not snowmachines will be useful on this hunt.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

well we have gotten a good amount of snow early this year. Im hoping they open it, but we will see. They open the trails to snowmachine december 1st all over down here. Ive never heard of every other year thing.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    they only open the area to snowmachines after a certain amount of snow anyway, and iirc that amount has not fallen prior to the end of the year (and thus close of the hunt) any time in the last several years, so i don't think the "big scary evil bunnyhuggers" have jack**** to do with whether or not snowmachines will be useful on this hunt.

Dave,

Sorry, I must have hit a nerve. I think I was just trying to convey some of my frustration at the closure of this trail to all snowmachiners this season. It had been a split season previously and in my experience (and yes I've looked) the trailhead in Cooper landing is empty of cars and trucks after the snowmachines are no longer permitted. Sometimes the "idea" of being able to recreate in quiet is enough to push for a ban, it seems. But....I'm leaving the track of this thread, so here's some info that is a little more interesting......

In a previous year my wife was drawn for DC001. We went and had a sit down with the area biologist in Soldotna and at that time he said there has NEVER been a caribou harvested on that draw in the month of December. When the snow has been there it seems as if there is no base yet, so the machines just get struck. This was probably two and a half years ago.

Sorry to use the bunnyhugger term, really. I try not to be a **** stirrer

Hope this helps anyone who is unsure if you can ride on the Resurrection Pass Trail this winter season on your snowmachine. I included a large block, just so everyone is assured I'm not taking this out of context.
    Skip right down to Season A/ Season B Scenario. It came from here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/new...WA_ROD_web.pdf

"Decision

The decision I am making is to select the Modified Preferred Alternative as
    described in the FEIS. My decision establishes a mix of winter activities on the
    Seward Ranger District that respond to public demand for these activities. In
    addition, this decision will also assure that rural communities retain connections
    to traditional lifestyle activities.
    This decision will continue to provide for winter motorized activities across 61%
    of the Seward Ranger District. This decision will also set aside 21% of the
    Seward Ranger District for non-motorized winter recreation. The remaining 18%
    of the Seward Ranger District will be managed under a Season A/Season B
    scenario.

The following describes the key elements of my decision:
    Key Features
    Non-motorized Areas My decision will increase non-motorized areas primarily
    in the Summit, Russian, Snow River, and Tiehack/Mt Alice units from current
    conditions. There will be 41 miles of trail in designated non-motorized areas.
    Motorized Areas My decision will designate the entirety of the
    Carter/Crescent, Hope, and Ptarmigan/Grant and the majority of the Lost Lake,
    Johnson Pass, and Tern Lake units for motorized use. There will be 120 miles of
    trail in designated motorized areas.

Season A/Season B Scenario This management scenario only applies to the
    Resurrection and West Resurrection units. This scenario alternates motorized
    and non-motorized use in the Resurrection and West Resurrection units
    annually, generally from December 1 through April 30. That is, one year,
    Resurrection and West Resurrection would be motorized from December 1
    through April 30; the following year, both units would be non-motorized. Fifty-five
    miles of trail are located in the Resurrection and West Resurrection units.
    In the season that Resurrection and West Resurrection are motorized, there will
    be a total of 175 miles of trail designated for motorized use and a total 41 miles
    of trail designated for non-motorized use. In the next season, there will be a total
    of 120 miles of trail designated for motorized and a total of 96 miles of trail
    designated for non-motorized use. The Resurrection and West Resurrection
    units will be motorized for the 2007/2008 season and non-motorized for the
    2008/2009 season, continuing to alternate each year."