Thread: Boating regs on the kenai ??

Default Boating regs on the kenai ??

So where do i find the regs for boating on the kenai? What powers do park rangers have to enforce the regs?? Do they have the same authority as a brown shirt? trooper? Had a run in with a park ranger this weekend and just wondering??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    So where do i find the regs for boating on the kenai? What powers do park rangers have to enforce the regs?? Do they have the same authority as a brown shirt? trooper? Had a run in with a park ranger this weekend and just wondering??
    What specific reg do you have a question about? Let me guess, you had a run in on the middle river between Bings and Skilak?

You can run a 50hp as long as it is 4 stroke or DFI two-stroke (e-tec, Tohatsu). Otherwise it must be a 35hp. You in July it is 4-stroke or DFI only. You can carry up to 6 people in a boat.

What did the ranger question you about?

Yes, they have basically the same authority as the brown shirts, Parks is the chief enforcement agency on the Kenai.

There are also regulations on anchoring, there were some changes to this one last year so I am not 100% sure on those as I never anchor.
    Last edited by yukon; 10-16-2008 at 09:18. Reason: added anchor info

Yup it was on the middle river, guy gave me a ticket for not having a throwable life ring or cushion, we had a extra life vest but he said that wasn't good enough. Two of the guys in our group had talked with another ranger earlier in the week and he told him that its ok if you have a extra life jacket it could be used as a throwable, told him that and he just smiled. We had everthing else we needed, motor is a 4 stroke, registration up to date, all had picture ID & fishing licenses and we were respectful to the guy, didn't give him a hard time or anything. He must come out on weekends to write a bunch of tickets. Our tax dollars at work. We launched our boats just about the same time, his boat even banged up against mine at the ramp, i didn't care, pushed it off no big deal. You'd think he might have said something there, but no, has to write a ticket to look good to his boss & make the weekly quota. Next time will be different.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Let me guess, his initials are DB?

If his boat hit yours at the dock I would make a report with Parks so it is at least on record. Not saying anything will be done but overtime it may show a wreckless pattern.

I will check the boat regs, but I am sure you need a throwable device and the ranger would know. IMO, it would have been proper for the ranger to issue a warning in this situation. If it is the ranger I am thinking of I don't think he knows what a warning is.

Here is a link to the state boating requirements;

I believer your boat is 18', right? So you are required to have a throwable device.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boa...oatrequire.pdf

Default Regs

Not much but black and white with some rangers. Potbuilder, I understand you being upset, but you would be the only one in AK paying state tax.

Default State or Feds

Sorry to hear about the harrassment.

Was he State or Fed?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Had the same story Steve...2 extra vests and still got the ticket. My bad, didn`t know I needed one as the boat was borrowed.

Default Kenai boating regs

Anything 16' and over requires a throwable device, and, as you all found out, our buddy with the initials D.B. does not give warnings, just citations. I found out the hard way too several years ago. In fact, he's checked me so many times, these days he just drives by and waves!!!!

Madman

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Not much but black and white with some rangers. Potbuilder, I understand you being upset, but you would be the only one in AK paying state tax.
    OK our campground, ramp and federal tax dollars at work.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Sorry to hear about the harrassment.

Was he State or Fed?
    I don't really know ??? but with dealing with other fish cops when i'm commercial fishing i do know that they are wired for sound so i don't say much to them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

One question?? who throws you the cushion when your fishing or boating by yourself???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    One question?? who throws you the cushion when your fishing or boating by yourself???
    I had a similar situation on Knik but I was never issued a citation. The trooper said, "chances are you won't need the life ring, but someone else from another boat will." OK So I went to walmart and bougth the flare gun, throw ring, air horn, blah blah blah for my 16' jon.

I think everyone should look at the link I posted above. I have two boats that are 20', I have flares in one becuse I use it in the ocean on occasion. I didn't know I need one for my pure river boat as well. It is a good boat "check-up" to take a look at.