Thread: 44 spec help

Default 44 spec help

Ok guys, I am stuck. I have several boxes of primed cases and 240gr fully jacketed RNFP that I deconstructed because I don't shoot other peoples reloads. I now have these along with trailboss, h110 and imr4227. The problem is reading thru my five manuals and various web sights I am not able to find any data for the 44spec with any of these bullet/powder combinations. Any help and pointing in the right direction would be great.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My Lyman 47th shows,

44 S&W Special
    240 grain Jacketed SP
    13.3 grains to 14.8 grains (IMR 4227)
    616 fps to 711 fps

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default 44 spec help

Thanks, I saw that last night while I was on the hunt for a match. After sleeping on it I think I will try it with (13.5) and see what happens. Thanks

The H4227 load is a good one for the special but is a near full duty load. If you want someting in the way of a plinking load Trail Boss may be worth a try. I think I used 5.5 grains of that with 240 grain FP Laser Cast. There is data available for it on line from Hodgdons as well as some manuals. I shoot a lot of 44 specials, one of my favorite calibers, have several guns in the caliber. I use mostly 240-250 cast bullets and find velocities from 650 to 1000 fps a very useful range for many applications. Trail Boss and H4227 are two of my powders.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 44 spec help

Thanks Murphy, I too love TrailBoss for plinking but didn't know (lack of experience on my part) if I could use the same 240gr SWC load data for the jacketed bullet or since I am dealing with such a low pressure in a gun frame that is designed for higher would that be an issue? I am also sending you a PM.