Thread: Grip Question Re S&W 329PD

Default Grip Question Re S&W 329PD

Hello handgunners,
    I have a S&W 329 PD on the way, this is the airweight .44 magnum. I was wondering if anybody knows of a rubber grip that will give padding on the backstrap? The hogue grip for this revolver leaves the frame exposed on the backstrap of the grip.

I had heard that the S&W 500 grips will fit on the 329pd, can anyone confirm this? I thought the 329 had N Frame and I'm unsure if it's square or round butt.

Anyway, any Ideas are appreciated. This revolver is going to be my backup bear gun for when I'm hunting. She will be housed in a Guide's Choice Chest Holster rig from Dave Johnston out in eagle river. I intend to load her with Cor Bon 320 Grain Hard Cast .44 Mag loads.

I have the 500 S&W grips on my 329PD, they will fit. If I remember right they are $35 + shipping from S&W.

Great, thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

i have the same rig as your wife (johnston holster) and bought a pachmayr grip for the ROUND BUTT, 329pd. they make two that cover the backstrap and feel great. they are smaller and shorter than the hogue or the s&w grip, but offer alot of cushion w/o being "mushy". they are available with or without finger grooves.

i bought mine on ebay for $10. and $22. on an auction bid.

after downloading with a 300gr hardcast, am getting about 1107 on my chrono with great penetration and less muzzle blast and recoil.

good luck.
    jh

Default clarification

Thanks for the reply.

So if I were to order these in N frame Round butt, they would fit my 329PD? I just want to make sure before I order.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=221878

Thanks again

Default grips .... 329PD

I installed the M500 grips on my 329PD, and have been completely satisfied. Never fired the Beast with the wooden Ahrends grips, but can imagine the discomfort. The 500 Hogues are the right item. They make the 329 as comfortable to shoot as my 629 Mountain Gun .... so why do I even need to keep my Mtn. Gun? I don't. The rumors of the 329's brutal recoil are over blown. With the 500 grips, it's almost a *****cat. Almost.

Holy Hannah, that thing kicks pretty good with wood grips on it. It's not unbearable but it's definately significant. Maybe I'm a wuss but I'm definately putting a padded grip on it.

Default grips .... 329PD

Now shoot your Beast after installing the M500 grips. It's not a macho issue ... it's about controllability and utility. You'll see.

Thumbs up Huge differance

Yes the 500 grips are a wonderful modification, can't believe the differance, made it a lot easier to stay on target shooting double action!!!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Talking

I just got my S&W 500 grips in the mail (thanks smith and wesson for shipping same day I ordered.) I put them on the 329 PD and fired off some bear loads. It is a significant difference. Still not a joy to shoot a full box, but definately controllable in a dire circumstance requiring double action firing. I will be training enough with this at the range to stay proficient, but it will spend a lot of time in a holster in the back country. As for home protection, with .44 special loads, this gun is a treat to shoot.

hi, glad you were able to "fix" your problem. if you reload, try a lead hardcast bullet in plain base or gas check. even with a reduced load the penetration is fantastic and recoil improved. for your purposes, bullet mushroom is undesireable and straight line wound channel and penetration is of maximum importance.

bullet heavy for the caliber are a good bet and "flat rate" shipping will moderate the cost.

best of luck.
    jh