Thread: trap wax

Arrow trap wax

how long do i dip my traps in the wax and how hot should the wax be? what do you think about waxing traps and if you don't like it y not?

Default waxing

first off do this outside as it can be dangerous. Get your wax hot so it just starts to smoke, no hotter, you don't want it to start on fire. Once its hot you dip your trap in it and right away you will see the trap turn white from the wax, let it sit in the wax until all the white goes away. When the trap gets near the same temp as the wax it will not have any white left on it and you can pull it out and hang. The parts that take the longest to get up to temp are the base of the trap especially around the baseplate if your traps are baseplated.

Good luck and be careful, a wax fire is a bad deal.

You can get by with adding water to your boiling pot if you don't have enough wax as fish. Just make sure that the trap is as hot as the h20.

Default Wax

I do the same as martenpine as it seems to waste less wax in my opinion. I also add a little rosin to give it a real stout waxing.

Default do your traps look like the first two photos or the third

Check out this post, the first two photos are not waxed properly, the third photo is what it should look like. I tried the water/wax method one time and the wax does not adhere well to the trap, at least the way I did it. You should not notice the wax is on the trap until you touch it, and it is a thin coating and does not chip off at all.

Anyway, just my opinion from my experience and from the experience of many others as well. If your way works, great, but if you want check out the thread.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...aps#Post393149

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so how often should you do this? yearly? monthly?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

New to trapping here so forgive me if this sounds dumb. Why wax traps?

I use 2/3 of a 50 gal drum on the burner of my turkey fryer. I dye and wax every 2-3 years or if a get a pile of new traps. If you have brand new traps, run them thru the dish washer once to remove the oil off of them. I then lay them out in the weather until a thin coat of rust appears. Next I boil them for over an hour with some alder and spruce branches along with log crystals(trap dye). You do this to put a coating(dye) on the traps(to slow them from further rusting), remove odor and to get them up too temp for waxing. Some heat the wax seperatly and dip and some just add wax to the water. When you have over 100 traps to prep, I cannot spend the time to dip each and every one. Depending on how many traps I am boiling I just throw in 4 to 6 bricks of wax(be sure to remove the branches first) right before I am ready to remove them from the drum. Make sure the wax is melted all the way and SLOWLY start pulling your bundles of traps out. Hang to cool. It's nice but not nesesary to have a perfectly coated trap. You mainly wax to lubercate the moving parts and springs of the trap for smoother and faster firing and also to seal up any remaining odor on the trap. I'll be doing my trap prep the weekend and will take some pics and post.