Thread: Anchorage

Default Anchorage

I don't have much time, I was wondering if there was anywhere close enough to Anchorage to enjoy a good day trip. Saturday will be my last chance for the season because I have to travel for business until November 23rd. Any suggestion would be great, I still see plenty of ducks and geese in the air in Anchorage so I'm sure there are spots. I'm not asking for your honey holes, just a recomendations for a good last day.
    Thanks

Default Is the search function not working?

Its funny that the question "Where to hunt near Anchorage?" has been asked and answered several times on this forum, yet it keeps being asked. I guess the "search this forum" system doesn't work. Maybe we should test it today.

worked for this thread

this thread has some info

lots of info in this thread

good thread on the anchorage refuge

question answered again

the last decent thread

There were lots of other threads resulting from using the search system.

Default Moving back to Anchorage

I read all the threads and all sound like good areas, will have to try them.....
    Although I have an area not mentioned.
    There is a run off pond near my house in Anchorage in midtown and I wondered if I could take waterfowl from there.....there are geese and always ducks that winter out there...usually always some open water
    I have a hunters ed card and am a certified bow hunter. I was planning on using my bow since it is in a residential area and just for safety and not to scare all the neighbors...
    Any advice suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Its funny that the question "Where to hunt near Anchorage?" has been asked and answered several times on this forum, yet it keeps being asked. I guess the "search this forum" system doesn't work. Maybe we should test it today.

worked for this thread

this thread has some info

lots of info in this thread

good thread on the anchorage refuge

question answered again

the last decent thread

There were lots of other threads resulting from using the search system.
    Ray sounds like your crumpy guy was just asking a question Have you been out to mud lake lately is it iced up?

Yes, grumpy guy due to not getting out because of the back and leg issues. Its getting better. I also get tired of the same unoriginal question being asked over and over again. There is a reason I never became interested in teaching.

I am guessing that the lakes are iced over some what since they never got very warm this summer. My wooden boat is already wrapped up for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    I read all the threads and all sound like good areas, will have to try them.....
    Although I have an area not mentioned.
    There is a run off pond near my house in Anchorage in midtown and I wondered if I could take waterfowl from there.....there are geese and always ducks that winter out there...usually always some open water
    I have a hunters ed card and am a certified bow hunter. I was planning on using my bow since it is in a residential area and just for safety and not to scare all the neighbors...
    Any advice suggestions??
    According to the regs, outside of the various Unit 14 special management spots you can only hunt waterfowl by falconry methods, so your runoff pond in midtown is bird of prey only. Sorry

What did you do? Just got back from Cordova it was alot of fun.

I spent my free time in the summer pretending I was a 20 year old construction worker rather than the 40 something desk jocky I actually am. Inflammed a bunch of nerves and muscles in my lower back and hip which created issues in my leg later on in September. Just got back from the osteopath and he made things lots better. He thinks it may be all tied into my left ankle which was broken while wrestling in highschool and never healed properly.

I may be able to get in a walk in hunt before everything is solid.

Do post up about the Cordova trip.

Default Falconery

Anyone know someone that would help someone with falconery (have always wanted to do it)...I read the regs years ago and I believe you need to start under someone who is already qualified...I already know of a few good nest areas that I can get some young haws
    Thanks for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    Anyone know someone that would help someone with falconery (have always wanted to do it)...I read the regs years ago and I believe you need to start under someone who is already qualified...I already know of a few good nest areas that I can get some young haws
    Thanks for all the info
    check this thread on this forum

Default Falconery

Also anyone that has a falcon interested in heading out there..I move back to ANC in NOV...there are always waterfowl that winter over....warm runoff and always some open water.\

Anyways anyone interested in taking their hawk out and I would take some good photos with my Digital SLR camera...and I would take my two boys out 4yrs old and 2 yrs old...they would love it and it would be another way to introduce them to outdoors....any takers...I would even be willing to pick you up etc...feed you etc
    thanks