Thread: mink snaring

Default mink snaring

Looking to up my # of mink this year with more blind sets. What would you guys recommend for cable diameter for mink? 1/16"? 3-4" loop?
    Nice Marmot.

Default Joke or not?

I'm sorry not trying to offend you but, I have never heard of this why not just use legholds and/or 110's.

Nope, totally serious No offense taken

I've got plenty of 110's and 120's, but one spot I trap is seemingly impossible to bait mink in....I've tried different baits and lures that work very well in other spots, but not here. I don't use legholds. There's lots of food for them, and they seem to want to hunt their own. The only real luck I've had there is with blind setting 110/120s, but I'm gonna use those for marten this year. I've read elsewhere that blind setting for mink is more effective than bait. Also, I can carry out a heck of a lot more snares than traps.
    Nice Marmot.

Your set up sounds fine. I would set them about 2 inches off the ground. You could also use this set up for your marten. Some guys have had success with it, but weren't real crazy about the mark the snare left.

I like your signature......10th anniversary this year.

We've had some extensive discussion regarding marten snaring over on Trapperman. If you do a Search over there you should be able to read all of the posts. My dad used to snare a few marten each year, when the numbers were high and the chances of getting doubles were good.

I snared a few mink last year, they definately fight the snare hard and like Kusko said it leaves a pretty good mark. Here is a pic of the snare I use for marten and mink.

Another option is tip up sets using leg holds. I started using these last year and they worked great. They also work well using buckets with 120's.

Thanks for the tips

tjmeyer, are those from the snare shop? I can't decide whether to go with the pre-made supports or just plain cable....do you think those are better than plain? They do look like they would be quicker to set, but do they stay in place good? This spot gets hammered by the winter storms but is teeming w/ mink trails.

Great pix to...thanks for sharing
    Nice Marmot.

Skookumchuck,

My dad purchased a large quantity of these snares back in the 80's, and I'm still using those. I don't know where he purchased them. I do believe these are better than plain snares. With the heavier tie wire, you can position them at what ever height you want and they stay in place well.

Ted

Default Old Marten Snaring Post

Skookumchuck,

I looked back through the old posts and found this one on marten snareing. Thought you might like to take a look.

Ted

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=6762

Default Cool

You learn something new everyday. Good way to carry a lot on your back and really cover some ground. How do they do with weather conditions.

Default mink in snares

Using snares for mink works really well, and I have had good luck at it. The major problem with using snares for mink is the mark that it leaves on the skin. Mink fight snares hard and it leaves a mark every time. Because you leave mink skin out when you sell them, you can not hide that snare mark from the buyers. You will get graded down on every mink you catch in a snare. Knocking 5 or 10 dollars off a 15 or 20 dollar mink hurts.