Thread: Aging Ducks??

Default Aging Ducks??

Anybody else let their ducks hang for a day or 2 before eating them? I swear it makes them taste better.
    Nice Marmot.

I do sometime even longer

I've heard of people hanging them until the guts fall out....yuk
    Nice Marmot.

No. Do you hang any of your other food? Putem in the crock pot, then simmer them in Cream of Brocolli add some rice and peppers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    No. Do you hang any of your other food? Putem in the crock pot, then simmer them in Cream of Brocolli add some rice and peppers
    that sounds awful....our ducks down here taste like mud....cream of mud....no thanks

And yes...I hang my deer
    Nice Marmot.

I don't now, but I have. When I turn mine into sausage, it's hard to tell and doesn't seem to matter. Even when I put my ducks into the crockpot to make shredded duck sandwiches with plenty of bbq sauce and onions on a hamburger bun, I can't tell if I aged it at all.

Default Sure do

I've got a pintail in the crawlspace right now.

Hung one sprig and a gray duck for 4 days last week - they ate well, but in future I'll cap hanging time at three days for ducks.

I can't imagine hanging a bird with its guts still in, though. Sounds like a sure way to spoil meat from the inside out.

Not that they need hanging. They eat well the same day they were shot. Just a little enhancement for the ones we sear and eat without sauce.

I do let gutted ducks hang but never really wanted to try it with out gutting first. I do know people who hang them guts in and traditionally you hang them by the head until it pulls off.

Yes I have up to 4 days, and know a guy that will let them go up to 7. Guts in.

Whenever I go out on a goose and duck hunting camping trip I leave the guts in anywhere from 2 to 5 days while in the field only if the outdoor temps are cool to cold. After I return home the guts may stay in for an extra day or two until all the birds are plucked and cleaned. Sure makes the meat nice and tender.
    If the outdoor temps are warm then I would gut the birds while out in the field, sometimes the same day.