Thread: steece hwy /eagle summit area

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Question steece hwy /eagle summit area

Has anyone been spending any time op the steece? i want to take the kids up here soon and do some bird hunting exploring ect...frined of mine has a claim we want to visit etc... how is the snow? any caribou moving yet? we are not gong to do the madness hunt.. we tried that last year and i wont let the kids out of the truck during it... but i would like to give them some practice stalks as we did not get to get a bou, this summer.... also i guess it would be good to have a thread started for planning purposes on the DEC 1st.. as we know the F&G phone report is sooo informative.

oops wanted this in the hunting room
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm sure there's snow up there now since we have a few inches in town and there is snow on cleary summit. As far as caribou goes though they closed the hunt the end of august. The quota was met. No december madness hunt this year. First time in years the quota was met in the fall.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm sure there's snow up there now since we have a few inches in town and there is snow on cleary summit. As far as caribou goes though they closed the hunt the end of august. The quota was met. No december madness hunt this year. First time in years the quota was met in the fall.
    thanks Snyd, i hadn't heard that about the registration. hunt for up there but we were hoping to see some any way...its good fun for the kids to stalk as close as they can with the camera...
    and i was just wondering whether or not the 4 wheelers would get along yet. i hate riding the sled in 4-5 inches my back just don't do it any more....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

According to this sight the 4 wheelers might not make it. 73"???
    http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=AK
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    According to this sight the 4 wheelers might not make it. 73"???
    well i guess 6 foot is enough for the sno go...

meet on face book here

Default RC860 vs RC867

Snyd,

I see in the EO that RC860 is closed, however the 1 December hunt is RC867. Also, in the EO I see that all other caribou hunting regulations are not affected. So what do you mean, no December madness hunt this year?

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...8/03-07-08.pdf

KWP

KWP,
    I am by no means a expert at what the biologist decide at ADF&G but this is my two cents on your questions to Snyd. RC860 and RC867 are the same hunt, the only difference is that RC860 is the fall hunt and it is divided into 3 zones with a quota for each zone. RC867 is the winter hunt and is not divided therefore covers all three zones of the range. As far as not having the Winter hunt I believe it could happen by EO for the following reason. ADF&G allocate 75% of the annual quota to the fall hunt (RC860) and the remainding 25% to the winter hunt (RC867). I believe that if the 75% quota (RC860) is overmet during the fall hunt then it dips into that remainding 25%(RC867) for the winter then it just knocks the quota down for the winter hunt and I beleive that if the percentage is to low for the winter hunt then they wont even risk opening the winter hunt(RC867) and going over the 100% for the years quota. I want to say that did happen a few years back but I am not to sure on that so dont hold me to it. Snyd is right when he says the quota hasnt been met in years in the fall, it has been sometime since all three zones had to be EO closed. Usually there is a pretty good percentage of bou left from the fall that just roll over into the winter hunt so it will be interesting to see if they open it up or not unless someone already got the word from ADF&G that they are not going to open it but personally I hope they do open it, I got one this fall but would like to take a buddy of mine up this winter to get one....if not theres always RC879 for the elusive white mountains herd but thats like finding a needle in a haystack

WELL since i will be sitting next to the biologist for this herd Monday eve i will ask him..... whats up for sure on that hunt... then i will be on the road to anch... with a stop by rogers in sunshine.. ill get him to post the info Tuesday. and see ya all Wednesday sometime

Vince

meet on face book here

Default looks like...

the 1st report we read was a typo?

8 inches sounds more realistic

i stopped by the F&G office in Fairbanks while picking up my rental car....

LET THE MADNESS COMMENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

the summer quota was in fact met.. according to F&G the December first hunt will continue.....with the quota for the winter portion intact...

and for every one that already knew that..... sorry for letting the cat out

meet on face book here

more of a bump... any one been up the steece lately? we are headed up sat/sunday.... just curious as to what to expect...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    just curious as to what to expect...
    What do you mean, by what to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    What do you mean, by what to expect?
    well cub i started this thread looking for info to take the kids up for the weekend... we want to do some bird hunting and see some bou let them do some running in the snow etc.. a fun time.. in all my years up here i have been to central once. been to circle 100'ds of times though go figure... just wanting to know conditions and if folks been up and about. it is a popular area so i am looking for info before i go up...

meet on face book here

Gotcha. Wasn't sure what you were asking. The only advice I can give you is be careful driving across Eagle Summit, especially if its after dark, that can be one treachorous SOB with the drifts and fog. Both 12 mile and Eagle summit generally have a good bit of wind this time of year as the systems pass through or they make their own system. Theres lots of trails along the Steese to go adventuring on and Ptarmigan shouldn't be hard to find if the snow allows you hike around fairly easily w/ or w/out snowshoes. If the wind isn't wailing the higher ridges should hold birds in the brush, but the wind will dictate how much fun it will be. We have gotten about 10" here in Fairbanks and reports show about the same in Circle. Might be a wee bit chilly at night, but hope you and the kids have some fun. The road should be good because of the colder weather we've had.