Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The do-it-all .358 Bullet for AK critters?????

Default The do-it-all .358 Bullet for AK critters?????

Playing with my 358 Norma Mag, & wondering what those with far more experience than mys self would pick for an all around sheep to moose to brownies bullet for that cartridge (providing it shoots well in the gun, etc..).
    What weight, model, & brand? There are a lot of great bullets out there today & I'll never shoot enough critters to test them all so what do you guys use?
    I like the idea of one bullet for all critters (if one will do the job) for obvious reasons.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Have you tried the Barnes 225 grain TSX? I use it in a .35 Whelen. Haven't killed anything yet.

My vote would go to the 225gr. TSX as well. I loaded some for my .350 Remington Magnum and while I haven't killed anything with them yet the range experimentations have been impressive to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Playing with my 358 Norma Mag, & wondering what those with far more experience than mys self would pick for an all around sheep to moose to brownies bullet for that cartridge (providing it shoots well in the gun, etc..).
    What weight, model, & brand? There are a lot of great bullets out there today & I'll never shoot enough critters to test them all so what do you guys use?
    I like the idea of one bullet for all critters (if one will do the job) for obvious reasons.
    250 Nosler partition and never look back. Proven performer for me in other 35's. There were no 35 cals when I owned my NM, but if there had been that's all I would have needed. I used Speer and original Barnes in that one with no regrets, but assuming the 358 Nosler would hold up as well in it as the 375s do at mag velocities, no probs.

Default 358 Norma

All I ever used in my Norma were 250 gr Barnes X. Now that they are discontinued I'm going to have to go with 225 TSX's. I have firsthand knowledge that they work great on Moose and Bu, but never shot anything smaller.
    IMHO you can never go wrong with Barnes.

Another vote for the 225 tsx, but at the normas ~3000 fps with 225's, I might consider bumping up to 250's @ 2800. Whichever shot best.

Default 280 Grain Swift?

Has anyone tried these heavy weights in the 358 Norma?

Anyone have any load data for this "heavy"?

225-grain Swift A-Frame. Right at 3k fps out of a 26" barrel. Was only able to experiment on one brown bear with this load, but he didn't like it. Bullets punched right through......

As other's have said, the 225-grain Barnes TSX bullet would work really well also as an all-arounder.

Default TXP

Anyone use the Norma factory loaded 250 gr. TXP (Swift A-frame bullet)? how do you like their performance? Thanks

Thumbs up 250 and up....

I think a big case like that would be best served with a 250 gr. or heavier bullet. It has the capacity to launch them at a velocity that is plenty fast for the kind of hunting it was made for. Stuff it with a Swift A-Frame, Nosler Partition, Barnes X, etc.

Have to go with the 225 tsx or 250 nosler partition. both are about as good as it gets.

Default 280 Swift

xs1811 The 280 is the bullet to go too if your hunting moose and bear. They work almost the same started at 2300fps to 2600fps at all ranges. Always the same boring perfect shroom.
    I tend to use more than enough gun

Default Swift A-Frame

I'll have to give my nod to the Swift A-Frames if you are going to reload. Up until until last year, I hunted exclusively with 250 grain Nosler Partitions in .338 Win Mag. They always did the job. Then, I had a .358 Norma Mag made, and loaded up some 250 grain A-Frames. Last year I shot a moose with this set up and was able to recover the bullet. When I got home, I weighed it. It retained 97% of its weight. I then weighed a few of the Nosler Partitions I had saved over the years, and they all came out to be 65-75% weight retention. I was sold after that. I can't say that I would never use a Partition again, because after all, they worked, but the A-Frames performed better. I think that both are capable bullets and you should load both up and see what shoots more accurately from your rifle.

Not a knock against your choice but the Partition did exactly what is was designed to do. The front portion is supposed to expand quickly and sometimes even break break apart entirely with the remaining 50-70% of the bullet driving deeply.

The Nosler BT expands violently and sometimes completely disintegrates but it is the most effective deer bullet ever devised.

Weight retention is but one attribute of bullet performance.

If you have had good luck the Swift though don't let me stop you as confidence in your equipment is VERY important for every hunter.

Another vote for the 225 TSX. I have first hand knowledge that they work really well on moose out of my .35 Whelen

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm with BrownBear, the 250 grain Nosler Partition.

OOPS, I don't even own a 358 Norma.

I do like'm though.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm with BrownBear, the 250 grain Nosler Partition.

OOPS, I don't even own a 358 Norma.

I do like'm though.
    Smitty of the North
    Must mean you're an ole geezer like me!

I've just never had a single problem with Nosler partitions in hundreds of game animals killed over the years. I like the fact that they expand well and even shed some of their weight. I don't like what has happened to me and to others I know when the new "expanding solid" type bullets such as the various Barnes get out at long range, especially when launched in non-magnum calibers. I've had them pencil on through game, but never had a Nosler do that in some measured and witnessed 400+ yard game shots. The newer bullets just seem like expensive (very expensive) solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.

Ah well, I quit worrying about fashion and keeping up with the Jones's a long, long time ago. I've got a big enough stock of Nosler Partitions in just about every caliber they make to last me the rest of my life. Probably last through my grandkid's live too. I'll keep on shooting those and hang my head in shame when I'm around folks shooting the new stuff, I guess.

Seem real worried about it, don't I!!!

Lot of great bullets out there to choose from for the 358 NM. One of these days I will have to buy some too. For the time being I have 9 boxes of factory Norma 250 gr Soft Point Round Nose cartridges, 4 boxes of 250 gr Soft Point Semi Pointed and 2 boxes of 250 gr Woodleigh. Last year I found a couple boxes of the expensive 250 gr TXP (Swift A frame) cartridges from GNG. The older SP bullets must have been good for hunting with too, back in their day.

I don't mess with 358s anymore but have owned the 350 RM, 358NM and 358STA. As flat as the 358NM shoots and as good of a long range cartridge it is any premium bullet that shoots well in your rifle would be suitable. Its great to have so many choices nowadays, but I do know for a fact the 250 NP will get her done. I'd even try 225gr Accubonds.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 10-16-2008 at 22:02. Reason: add on

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

The 280 gr Swift sounds like a good bullet for brown bear hunting. I believe I will have some loaded up for the new 358 Nukalpiaq, also some 225 TSX and my favorite 250 Nosler Partitions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast