Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaze Kings

Default Blaze Kings

Looking to install a Blaze King. Either the Princess or the King, both are catalytic. Anyone here have one in their home? Just wondering about burn times, efficiency, etc. They look like they are highly efficient, and have good long burn times, but that's on their website where they are trying to sell a product.

Figuring on stopping by Alaska Fireplace and Accessories here in Palmer later today to price them out. Any info, good or bad will be appreciated, thanks.

Also, any affect on your homeowners insurance would be helpful as well.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default I have one

I have had one in my house for 5 years as a primary heat source. I can't imagine a cheaper way to heat my house (1500 sq ft). I got through about 2-3 cords of wood a year. Four-six pieces of birch a day will heat my place for 18 hours or longer. I have one of those stove top fans that distributes the heat through the lower level and the heat rises and heats the second level well. Very satisfied with this stove.

Default great stove

We've got the Princess in our house...about 1700sf. I load it up in the morning before I go to work (around 6:30), sometimes put in 1 or 2 pieces when I get home (sometimes not), and load it up again before I go to bed at night. Easily keeps the house around 75 degrees with the thermostat just below 1 1/2 this time of year. Once you light it, you never have to start another fire all winter. Just leave enough coals in there when you empty the ashes out, and load it up again.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i had the princess with the fans on the back. that makes a huge difference. it was in a 2500 sqft log home and was not large enough to heat it through out... pay close attention to the sqft rating on it. if your in the interior. the difference between 0deg and -40 is outstanding on the heat /btu rating. i have now gone to at least one size larger BTU/rated per sqft just for the cold months...
    also when you install your stove pipe in the house you will get a better draft by increasing the metal pipe size.. for instance if you have a 6" flue on the stove you will want 7 or 8 inch metal asbestos pipe... this will keep the back draft and down keeping smoke out of the house when you open the door. if you need assistance planning the installation pm me and i will walk you though it.. i have installed over 2000 stove pipes across the state.

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They are good stoves. When I went to get insurance on my home it was another 50 bucks a month with State Farm to have a wood stove in your home. E.S.

If you are thinking of a Blaze king Ultra ,Better put your name on the list they are sold out til December in the entire state and might be sold out then also only have 200 coming up. Anchorage is about $500 cheaper
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't have a chance to run by and check them out yesterday, but hopefully in the next couple days. I'm looking at heating around 1,500 sq. ft., so I figure the Princess model will be sufficient.

Vince, I'll keep that in mind when I move forward on this.

Roger, thanks for the heads up on pricing. I figure I'll go in the place here in Palmer to check them out, pricing, etc., then call around Anchorage to price them out there. I'd rather give money to the local business', but for that amount of money, I might have to drive into the city.

Rock, thanks for the info on the insurance. I'm sure if I don't let them know, and the house burns to the ground, they might not cover it. Don't need that happening.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Default insurance

I also have State Farm insurance for my house. When I called to see how installing a wood stove would affect my policy, they sent me a form to fill out and I had to take a few pictures of the completed installation. It is only $50/year, but they told me that if I installed the chimney myself there was a chance that if the house ever burned down they might not cover it. To cover my own butt, I paid to have the chimney put in.

Default Another vote for the princess

We have had the princess in our place (1400+ sq. ft) for 5 years now with the fans and it is an excellent stove. I agree with the posts above as it is extremely efficient and easy to operate. I'd buy another in a heart beat, you won't be dissapointed.
    BK

Thanks, priced 'em out today, and they still have 4 available that aren't presold, that are coming in December. Didn't realize that piping was so much, $227 per 4ft section. Comes out to almost $57/ft. I'm probably going to need about 20' for the vertical section to clear the roof, and he told me another $300+ for the tee, since I'll be coming out of the basement horizontally, and then vertically past the roof.

He said it should pay for itself in about 2 years, based on the cost per cord, and the cost for heating fuel. I've got 14 acres with plenty of wood, so that's not a problem.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how long it took to recoup the costs, based on price per cord, vs a boiler system and heating fuel. Thanks.

Thomas Jefferson

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpilot View Post
    almost $57/ft. I'm probably going to need about 20' for the vertical section to clear the roof,
    . Thanks.

2 foot above a ten foot circle... so if you have a steep roof you will go higher then you think.... so a level line 10 foot long off the top of the pipe, the pipe will be over that point 2 feet, if it is not you stand the chance of sparks as well limited draft. causing smoke in the house...

your also better trying to go as straight as you can... and avoid angles... they require serious support systems

and the horizontal section will want some back slope to the stove... any water coming down the pipe mixes with the creosote and creates hydrochloric acid so you want it to drain back..or have your $$$$$ pipe eaten...

as for cost to have it installed i normally tell folks, to expect $115 per foot material and labor.. so your better off if you learn it yourself...most new installs take 4-6-8 hours each i have had some 2-3 days for the complexity of the roof..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Might be gone but there is one on Craigslist

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/866701790.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Might be gone but there is one on Craigslist

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/866701790.html
    Thanks Vince and Roger.

Thomas Jefferson

Just went by a friend's house, and he's insisting I get a Vermont Castings wood stove. He's had both the Blaze King, as well as the Vermont Castings he's got now, and swears the VC is more efficient.

I don't think I can go wrong either way. Anyone have any thoughts on the Vermont Castings wood stoves?

Thomas Jefferson

Do some googling on VC stoves. I don't recall the details, but they (the company) were bought/sold recently and customer service and warranty work has supposedly gone down the tubes. Worth checkin out.

Nothing wrong with Blaze Kings. I've got the princess, and although it isn't going to be big enough for my 2400 sq ft log place I just put it in, I've found it very user friendly. When I was researching stoves in Fairbanks this year, I asked a bunch of people what they liked and 6 out of 6 were using Blaze Kings. It may just be local preference, but we do burn alot of wood in this town.

Yk

Oh yeah, and FYI I paid $98/stick for 6" double wall metalbestos about 2 months ago. Might want to do some price checking around.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Oh yeah, and FYI I paid $98/stick for 6" double wall metalbestos about 2 months ago. Might want to do some price checking around.

Yk

I just bought 3 -36" 8 inch sticks from our hardware store $139 a stick. The other reason I decided Blaze King was For the same reason you quoted they are almost sold out of the December shipment that has not gotten here yet. But he told me he had plenty of another brand. I asked him how many of those he had in the warehouse his response 25 ,So let me see you have 25 of those and a list all the way into December for the sold out Blaze King yet you can not sell the 25 of the other brand. I'll go with the other folks waitng in line and the other people I talked to that has them. I got the Ultra.

Default Longer lengths are less $$/ft

Selkirk Metalbestos is a very good product, but don't overlook another American made product: Simpson Duravent's " Duratech " all fuel chimney. These are insulated double-wall stainless steel--- and come in 5ft lengths as well. I have actually used, installed, and sold both- and I like the Duratech product better. Won't go into why here.
    The original pricing you mentioned of over $220 per 4ft length did seem a tad on the high side.

Whatever brand of chimney you buy, stay with insulated all-fuel, stainless-steel for the main chimney. Galvanized outer jacket is ok, but you'll later wish you paid extra for the S.S. Think seriously about using the double-wall " close clearance connector" pipe vs. simple single-wall black pipe as your "Vent connector" from the appliance to the main flue. It's more $$, but retains more stack temperature, and assures better draft, especially on the shorter chimney highths.

The longer the length the less $$ per foot it costs. don't limit yourself to the ol' standard 3ft max length pipe section--- they now come in 4ft as well as 5ft lengths.

As for Vince's " 2ft + 10ft circle" rule, I would add this:

Make sure you have at least a minimum chimney heighth off the top of your stove to the top of the cap of 15ft. The higher it is, the more draft you'll get ( and maybe have to damper against, as well ). But 15ft is a good minimum threshold that typically eliminates the testy, finicky chimney flue draft issue. After that, if you have draft problems, it's usually ( but not always ) something other than the chimney flue heigth. Many heating units fired by gas or oil can burn just fine with shorter stacks, but for wood fired appliances, 15ft is a good number to use as a minimum.

The actual fuel gas code/ mechanical code for chimney installations was what was referred to as the 2ft/10ft rule. This simply stated that you should terminate your chimney 2ft above the highest point of your roof, unless you can reach a highth at the chimney cap where you can draw a horizontal line from the cap to the roof pitch and have a minimum 10ft distance. You don't really have to go 2ft higher than the 10ft horiz. line, as Vince mentioned, but I dare correct Vince at my own peril, as he has despensed so much incredible and accurate advise on many topics in this forum.

Good luck with your new stove, and welcome to the club of people who have spent more $$ on the chimney than the stove itself.

Ps- ' had an old Vermost Castings stove that was excellent, but the older the better, and wouldn't buy one now...

Thanks for all the repsonses guys, I appreciate it.

Thomas Jefferson

Just put the first fire in my new Blaze King ,Holly cow !!!! That thing will run you out of the house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast