Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite 1911

Default Your Favorite 1911

So what is your favorite 1911? Make and a little about it. I have a friend who is looking to buy one and we have differing tastes but agree on many points and I just want to see how everyone else feels.

Ok, so I own a Kimber Custom II Stainless. Very basic for a kimber but very fine gun and exactly what I wanted when I bought it. I still love it, but man I really like the looks of the Kimber Raptor. I guess I'll have to get the Pro Raptor so that they aren't exactly the same guns huh?

schmidty

It's all sentimental but it has to be the Remington 1911 I got from my Father. He purchased it in 1945 right after he got out of the service.

Mine is a Springfield I got from my dad. In my opinion an exceptional gun because it shoots so well. For work, it a Sig 45 because of the double action but you only asked about 1911s. J.

Default Colt

Back before Kimber came out with a line of 1911 handguns, I was working as a manager of a gun store.
    I purchased a new Colt stainless officers model ( it was not enhanced) in 45 acp;and had it built the way I wanted. Talk about a killer take a $700 gun and send it to a smith for $500 dolars worth of work.
    The gunsmith required I fire 200 rounds before he would work on it; a chore. I then put it back in the box and handed it to him. 3 months later it was returned.
    It has a solid barrel bushing,with a one piece guide rod, all stainless internal parts(no plastic), a stainless flat mainspring housing, gold-cup trigger, solid commander style hammer, extended beavertail grip safety, magazine well. It is tuned so it will feed full wadcutters, and will hand cycle empty cases fromthe magazine. Change the spring and it shoots ball ammo into 2 1/2" at 25 yds. Not all that bad for a short barreled colt with factory fixed sights.
    Today building a pistol like this is unneccessary, as several companies already do it for you.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up Springfield

It is the stainless Springfield 1911 I carried on duty. It has a crisp 4 lb. trigger, Novak sights and shoots "good enough". I have 2 Kramer horsehide holsters and a Miami Classic shoulder holster for it, about 20 numbered magazines and a few spare parts. I need some more magazines. I am going to find me a Light Weight Colt Commander some day. Long live the king of pistols!

Default my grand dad's

the one my grandpa carried in the WWII 45 still has the original serial numbers and original mags it came with all matching i believe, not for sale, it is a hand me down love it to death.

Les Bauer Premier II with Ultra Dot shoots everything great at 50 yds if I do my part. Strictly for punching holes paper.

Colt 1911A1 GI gun matched out by Billy Jack at Crane NWS. Shoots hardball great at 50 yds, if I do my part. Paper puncher, pretty much.

I've got an old Mk IV Series 80 that I bought 30 years ago on the day I turned 21. It's got a Swenson ambidextrous safety and adjustable rear sights that I had put on it. I've got the same gun in satin nickel that I inherited from my brother. Only addition is Swenson safety. Those 2 will always be my favorite 1911's.

Default Kimber

Been a 1911 fan since the military and I've owned several makes.
    My favorite is a Kimber Grand Raptor. It's the most reliable auto pistol I've ever owned out of the box. Functions flawlessly. A friend recently bought a kimber and so far it has functioned perfectly also. Both pistols handle wadcutters, hollow points, flat points and ball perfectly.
    I've also handled and shot the S&W 1911 and it would be my second choice.

If money was no object I'd try a wilson, but then again you can buy 3 kimbers or S&Ws for about the same price.
    Last edited by 375AIJGS; 10-15-2008 at 22:08. Reason: spleeng

I like Dan wessons the best. Especially the new ones made by CZ. They are extremley well fitted, come with great enhancements, accurate and price is more than reasonable for what you get.

The smith 1911's are a close second.

I am going to find me a Light Weight Colt Commander some day.
    I have a custom one I built up in the early 90's. A 5 digit serial numbered Series 70 lightweight Commander from the 50's I believe. At the time I was hanging out at Bill Thompson's custom shop off of Old Seward, helping out doing various odd jobs and making a nuisance of myself. The pistol came in for refinishing, but the cost to re-do the very pitted slide was more than the guy wanted to pay. I picked it up for $150 and spent two full days filling and sanding the slide to get it in respectable shape under the watchful eye of Bill and his son Tim. About the same time Jim West bought the opperation from Bill. Tim stayed on at first and I was still allowed to hang out. Jim gave me some instruction on metal checkering and after practicing on some ruined frames I checkered the front strap on my pistol. I searched two five gallon buckets full of mainspring housings until I found a flat one in aluminum for my pistol. I then fitted my own Brown highgrip safety, Brown oversized safety that I ground to my liking, polished the feed ramp, and a Videcki trigger fitted to the stock hammer and set at a crisp 4#...all under Jim and Tim's watchful eyes. Jim recut the rear of the ejection port and tuned the ejector. I then sent the pistol off to be hardchromed. The pistol turned out really nice and I have carried it virtually every day since. It has performed flawlessly and has even killed a black bear. Someday I will pass it on to my son.

In 1969 Armand Swenson had a strong reputation as a 1911 'smith. While I was waiting to go on active duty I sent him a new Gold Cup. He did his magic on it in less than three weeks and sent it back with a 25 yd target with a 5 shot group which was pretty much one raggedy hole. I carried that gun 'here' and 'there' and I still have it. I've had several 1911s since (and I really like my lightweight commander) but that's my favorite.

Are any of you old enough to have heard of Armand Swenson?

Mine is in the process of becoming my favorite. Right now its at Alaska Custom Firearms getting turned into my dream 1911. It started as a Kimber Eclipse pro. Getting it bobtailed, ambi saftey, new trigger and setup to swallow .45Super. Cant wait.

Unfortuntely (or perhaps, fortunately), I well remember Armand. I had all my 1911's customized by an Indian cop named Stoney (because of his stoic manner) who worked the high desert where I lived at the time. He was a true artist, but never became famous, because he couldn't tolerate so much "white-man" attention. He's now stricken with crippling arthritis, but my .45's and 10MM's are still cutting one-ragged holes, when my old eyes bother to work. I simply can't pick a favorite since I never met a well-worked 1911 that I didn't love. If I was forced to pick one, it would be my stainless Delta Gold Cup 10MM. It does everything from protect my skinny "seat", to kill elk, bears, and mountain lions (and ride my hip in grizzly country). Can't ask for more.

Default 1911 Platform Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    So what is your favorite 1911? Make and a little about it. I have a friend who is looking to buy one and we have differing tastes but agree on many points and I just want to see how everyone else feels.

Ok, so I own a Kimber Custom II Stainless. Very basic for a kimber but very fine gun and exactly what I wanted when I bought it. I still love it, but man I really like the looks of the Kimber Raptor. I guess I'll have to get the Pro Raptor so that they aren't exactly the same guns huh?

schmidty
    1) I am rather fond of my Coonan (.357 Magnum, yes it is the rimmed revolver cartridge). It's flat for comfort and concealability, has the weight to handle the cartridge, is stainless and is satisfyingly unique. Loading the magazines is a pain in the butt, though-VERY strong follower springs.

2) Star PD (seriously underrated lightweight ultracompact) My particular gun shoots like a target pistol right out of the box. I don't know if it was a fluke and I just got lucky or if they all are that good.

3) 4) My Randalls. One full size, one Raider (Commander size). The only Commander sized 1911 I have ever owned that would shoot straight. Both are tack drivers. Fit and finish sheer perfection. I understand that's why Randall quit making them. Too much value put into the gun and they lost money on every one sold.

5) Gold Cup National Match Series '70. The only gun that can outshoot my Randalls. Gorgeous finish (too pretty to shoot, almost).

The .45 ACP I would LIKE to own next? The DA/SA .45ACP from Tanfoglio copied from the CZ75. Choose the all-metal frame. You can carry it cocked-and-locked or with the hammer down (safety on or off). Suggest your friend try that one out. Used, they are moderately priced.

Kimber makes good guns and Springfield Armory has a long history, and remember, a Colt is a Colt is a Colt.

Good luck to your friend and to you.

Default Ithaca

Yes, an Ithaca. Original, complete Ithaca built under contract in WWII, it was the sidearm issued to me in the Idaho National Guard, used it in some combat matches and such. Just a neat gun.
    These days, I've an AMT stainless type that spends most of it's time in the drawer in the camp trailer, a High Standard that gets shot the most when I'm using 1911, but the one I LIKE the most is a S&W Doug Koenig model. Got my eye on an electroless nickel Mk IV Series 70 Colt that just came into the store......

I have a Colt 1911A1 that was presented to my dad by the Ambassador of Laos after serving on a Mission and we had it engraved by a good friend by the name of Mel Wood out of Arizona.
    I'll treasure this weapon more than anything else 'cept my family.I'd like to get his Bronze Star that was awarded at the same time.

Couldn't ask for a better shooter in my 1991A1 Colt Commander. I can only recall one misfeed in thousands of rounds and it will punch very tight groups when I'm doing my job. The only work I've done to it is polish the feed ramp. The Kimbers and all look good and have lots of bells and whistles but none I've seen shoot any better. If money wasn't a concern I would probably look at the Kimber.

Default Favorite 1911

Too soon old, too late smart. I am cheechako when it comes to 1911s. It is a rapidly developing love affair.
    I first bought a Taurus PT 1911 because it was highly recommended on "Gun Talk" It is a good shooter and I now have it fitted with a 460 Roland Conversion Kit, have not shot it with the conversion yet, no ammo available where I have looked, but I will load my own in the near future. I think this will be my retirement arm. Have Kimber .22 conversion and the 460 Conversion. I figure this will cover all of my hunting needs in a small portable package.

In the meantime I bought (on the Forum) a Colt Delta Elite in 10 mm. Awesome penetration on shale! I am willing to trade or sell this one since I have the .460. http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=b4d34067.pbw

Next I got a Kimber Pro Carry II, shot it for the first time this week, very nice, very smooth. I plan to get the "bobbed" off side safety and install the Crimson Trace grips. This will be my favorite carry I do believe.

Next I got a Springfield 1911-A1 NIB and still unfired. It is the blackened SS. I fitted it with Crimson Trace grips. I just like to look at this one

Plan is to start reloading and shoot a lot. I joined the Birchwood Range last Sat
    NRA Lifetime Member

I have a Springfield. Basically, I wanted a series 70 1911 and SA makes a good one. I don't like the newer Kimbers because of they're series 80. A series 70 Kimber would be nice though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast