View Poll Results: what category of gun would you get for bears?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • shotgun

8 16.33%
  • pistol

12 24.49%
  • (bush) rifle

29 59.18%

Thread: atypical bear gun question

Default atypical bear gun question

Let's say you had $1000 to throw at a defensive weapon for the Alaskan woods/swamps. Considering what you do alot, what category of gun would you buy. Not what gun, just what category...
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thats an easy one, no shotgun or pistol can compare to a good rifle in power, accuracy, or reach.

I agree, if I had a grand to get what I wanted, I would have a really nice rifle (40+caliber).

I voted for pistol because of ease of carrying, like bringing it to the fishing hole, easy use in a tent, and being able to shoot it with one hand, incase the other is in a mouth, and packing it away easily. I was very close to buying a .500 today, but I decided to wait because two guys suggested I get a rifle.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Ripface, this is how I do it. I find an action on auctionarms (or a doner rifle). You can find a decent mauser for under $150. then I turn it in with whatever caliber in mind and they make me a rifle. right now I'm having a short bbl'ed 338 built on a mauser. I'm also having a 35whelen built on a mauser plus I picked up a 1917 enfield action for $65. I had a 458Lott on a similiar action and not sure what I'm gonna do with this one. I know I can get a pretty decent 416 for under a grand on this action. Actually all 3 are under a grand for a gun I want.

I did penetration (on the cheap) test between a shotgun and a 45/70. I didnt even include the lott just to be somewhat fair. After seeing how the 45/70 compared to the shotgun, it wasnt even a question.

Some folks like shotguns, some pistols, basically its your butt you have to keep in the vertical position. what do you feel comfortable with?

That depends on what you feed each. a 300gr. 45cal hollow point doesn,t even get started next to a DIXIE SLUGS termanator.
    Dan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    That depends on what you feed each. a 300gr. 45cal hollow point doesn,t even get started next to a DIXIE SLUGS termanator.
    Dan
    Yeah, but a 540 gr. hardcast does.

Exclamation Bear gun

I vote for the 45/70 lever as referenced above. For 4 accurate, fast hard-hitting shots out of a lightweight short barreled package, you can't get any better. Plus, you may very well be using this as your hunting rifle to begin with.

Look at Garret Catridges website for some interesting testimonials and ballistic tests if you have any doubts as to the field effectiveness of the Hot 45/70 loads avalaible-whether his, Buffalo Bore, or others.

Default Long gun vs pistol

If you'll carry a long gun the whole time you're out there then I agree a rifle is the way to go........

But if you're going to set in against a tree and fish, or go fetch water, or pack meat, or go take a dump, or WHATEVER........

Then get a pistol you'll keep strapped to you ALWAYS........

A 22 revolver in your hand is more useful than a .416 leaning up against a tree 20 yards away when you need it........