Thread: Plastic on Ski bottoms

Default Plastic on Ski bottoms

I was told there is a guy in Anchorage that puts the plastic on the bottom of Ski's at a great rate. I would be afraid to see what Landis charges. It does not look that hard, but I would think you would need a A & P to sign off it.

Terry

I would think most any mech. with experience would do.

Atlee Dodge will do it for you. Also I was told that it could be done as a user and considered a minor repair. There is a good thread about this on back country pilot. The drift is to use 3/16 plastic, clamp it to the ski, mark it up to 2" wider than the ski, then bend the edge on a brake 90deg and it will return to a 20-30deg bend, drill for rivets or #8-10 machine screws W/ lock nuts and washers. This is much better explained on the other threads.

Default Any A&P

"Also I was told that it could be done as a user and considered a minor repair."

I would refer to FAR 43 prior to using that advice. Minor repairs still require an A&P.

Just check around with various mechanics. Someone with spare time may cut you a deal. Definitely not hard to do, just time consuming like anything. I would think atlee or landes would be the MOST expensive. That's only a guess. Check with a local shop or two. Probably cheaper.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Its not that hard to do. I did my own under the supervision of a A&P.
    I had to get a 337 for mine and they are a little picky.
    No rivets they haft to be aircraft nuts and bolts and they haft to be so far apart. So if you know a A&P and if he will sign it off when your done its a great way to go..

AKHunter is right, I'm not a A&P and don't know that side of the house at all. What I wrote was only to point someone in the direction to research how to get it done. Always check with a good A&P before you do anything and it saves you a bad experience, maybe even your life.

Default bottoms

You can obtain the materials at CAC plastics 376-7111; they are located near the start of the Parks hwy. They will even cut to size if desired. I put mine on with advice from my mechanic. After doing so I couldn't figure out why it took so many years to make the change. I also used a strip of the same material to make the skegs as the older metal skegs tended to freeze down.

Cost me 750.00 for them to cut, bend and the AN hardware to install! That was 1/4". If I were to do it again i would of done it all myself.

Default plastic

Called plaschem is anchorage, to install, with the runners in 1/4 inch plastic on Landes 2000 skis the want $495. just for the plastic is $138 each.

Terry

I just finished mine, 3" extra all around with plastic skegs. $290 for materials from CAC. Took about a day to do, easy. I went with the 3/16 UHMW and #8 machine screws. I used a 1/2" bolt on the inside of each ski for directional control on glare ice. I found the "hot setup on supercub.org"

What spaceing did you use and how close to the edge did you put the screws? I need to do mine soon. Thanks Tom
    If you could post a few pictures it would be great.