Thread: auger repair?

Default auger repair?

i bought an auger from sportsman's a couple winters ago that needs a bit of a tune up and don't know who services them.

i fear that i may have to but a jiffy if i can't get my viper going.

BRING ON THE ICE!!!

Default Here is what I did with my auger

I have a strikemaster, I sent my power head back to them in Big Lake MN and they had it back to me in a week. They have excellent customer service. As a rule, you should put a new spark plug in your auger every season and make sure you mix you oil and gas to proper ratio. I needed some throttle springs fixed. There isnt a whole lot to tune up on them. Try not to have your auger bang around in a sled. An auger bit can be bent very easily in the back of a snowmachine sled. I hope you get it fixed soon. Can go wrong with a Jiffy or Strikemaster. Jiffy seems more durable as they use more metal on everything, but Strikemasters are lighter. I have a spare Strikemaster Lazer power head, but have been using my Mag 3000 for 9 years now and it is still going strong. Fires up every time. Lots of guys let the handle go when they start it up and I NEVER do this. If you do, you will chip out the plastic on the starter cog reel from the recoil kickback from the engine. Always let your auger warm up for 2 minutes before you start drilling as well. I think that is why mine has lasted so long.

I suspect you may have an Eskimo auger. There is a small engine repair shop in Anchorage, but it still might be cheaper to send your power head to the factory. I even send my auger blades back to Strikemaster and have them sharpen them for me.

very good advice. one of my problems is that the plastic housing covering nearly the whole engine is pretty messed up. i would let the handle go after pulling it and it would smack the cold plastic and, well you know it shattered the housing. lesson learned. the engine still starts well, but doesn't always catch to turn the engine. that is my main problem. no plastic housing is the reason that i want a jiffy.

Spray the recoil mechanism with WD40 and work it a few times. Then followup with spraying it down very liberally with Silicone Spray. Drain the carb, change the plug and if it runs your good to go. If not, buy a new one, they are pretty much a disposable item, if you have to pay a mechanic and then there is the cost of parts thing. Not many parts readily available and if you have to pay to have them shipped in, it is counterproductive. Sorta like televisions today.

Default Go Fishing

Best advice!
    Wait for the ice and go fishing before freeze up!
    Still some nice RB's out there.
    Got a couple Monday, its a long winter enjoy the open water!

Default Tune-up, really?

I've had my Eskimo auger for 15 years and never tuned it up once, and I use my auger hard. I probably hardwater fish at least 2 week ends out of every winter month and might drill as many as 10 holes every outing. Sometimes I fish in subzero weather. All I have ever done is change spark plugs a few times and replace a few bolts here and there that rattled loose. Maybe they used to make them better... probably made in China now.

Anyway, mix your gas carefully. Lube your gear box. Keep the cutters sharp. At the end of every season drain the tank and let the engine run out the fuel in the carb. That's all the "tune-up" I ever do.

I don't know about disposibility at $175-$250 or more a pop. I don't have that kind of money. I'd rather buy gear and lures.

i was just looking at ardisam.com and found all the replacement parts that i need. looks like i'll spend about 40 bucks and my auger should be good as new.