Thread: Salmon Flies needed

Default Salmon Flies needed

I am heading up this summer for some Kenai Sockeye fishing and i need to buy some flies. Do any of you tie and sell them? I would rather give my money to some one in Alaska being i am going to be fishing there. Thanks for your help!

Default Interesting question

Nice thought and we the people of Alaska thank you for wanting to hook (no pun) us up. Ok maybe a pun intended.

I will shoot you a PM we will be offering such things come Jan 2009 from our web site.

Might be a little cheaper at Sportsmans or local fly shops in AK then sending flies thorugh the mail.

Blue Moose.

Default The perfect alaska fly

The perfect sockey fly for alaska is a legal sized hook with whatever color of whatever material you want to put on it. If you are fishing the russian (or near the confluence down to the power line) you will need a hook with the right "gap" -- a russian river fly is the common term.

The art (and after hours and hours of trying - I will call it an art) of consistently hooking sockeye is not the color or type of fly on the end of your line or tippet - but how it is weighted, presented, and swept through the water at that just perfect level at that perfect time to hook the fish in the mouth.

Well - that was the long story -

short story, stop at sportsmans, wall mart, or better yet, trustworthy hardware in soldotna and pick up a dozen russian river flies in whatever color you fancy - add some splitshot and go get them wet.

Like the others, we appreciate the thought. I used to tie my own, but frankly with all the materials and time, and the fact that it really doesn't matter what color or pattern you use, it's the way it's presented...it is just more cost and time effective to go to the store and buy a handful of whatever looks good to you. Not a lot of people can tie enough fast enough to turn a profit. Most of the local stores do sell local made flies, though, so in that respect you'd still be supporting someone in Alaska.

Save your money. Outside of the Fly Only Fishing Waters, use a bare hook. In the Fly Only Fishing Waters, use a very small strand of yarn on the hook. Leave as much hook exposed as possible. Better hook ups and it trails the sinker better. Read up all you can about the Flossing Technique. It has become an acceptable method of snagging Reds.

If your going to the Russian/Kenai area stop in at Kenai Cache. He has great flies and they are only 69 cents a piece. Local guy, great prices and good gear.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Tie a piece of yarn on the right legal size hook. Anything else is a waste of time and money for reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Tie a piece of yarn on the right legal size hook. Anything else is a waste of time and money for reds.
    ^^^...or do that instead of what I said earlier. Of course, some people still like the illusion that they are "fishing," not snagging in the mouth.

www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com

Best flies I have found yet have came from this shop in Juneau. Nice guys too. Check out their website. Nice stuff.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here in SE, my C3 flies have been out-fishing the alternatives about 3 to 1. Granted, that's mostly been trolling with downriggers, but I've started throwing C3s on my 8 wt this year, and have had unbelievable luck with cohos, reds and kings.

In the rivers up north, the above advice about snagging with anything of any color is quite sound. If you want to catch loads of fish in the salt, however, your fly choice, bait, presentation, etc. all make a huge difference.

www.CanCanCase.com for the direct line on C3 Flies, or keep an eye on eBay... I see them around there from time to time.

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]