Thread: Alternative to glacier socks?

Default Alternative to glacier socks?

Anyone have suggestions for a cheaper alternative than glacier socks? I do alot of crossing of knee-ish deep stuff but like to wear leather hiking boots instead of hip boots. I've been using neop. sock chest waders but it seems a bit overkill to wade knee deep with chest waders...

Any suggestions? It seems like there should be a cheap (maybe homemade) alternative that would hold up at least for a while???

Not home made, but I use NEOS River Treckers for the purpose you described. They are light and EZ to carry and slip over your normal hiking or hunting boots. I take them on every hunt.
    Make sure to buy them big enough to fit over your boot of choice. I bought mine in Fairbanks.
    http://www.gemplers.com/product/1599...hoes-30-Hipper
    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

for those neos, if using a leather mountaineering boot, do you size up the neos? meaning i would take a larger neos size? i might mail order those, unless someone has seen these in anchorage.

How light is light on the NEOS Rivers Treckers?

Default Thanks

Thanks Steve, I've never seen those before. That would be an option although I was hoping to find something that I could just roll down when I'm not in the water rather than having to change in and out all the time. Hunting in chest waders definantly has it's disadvantages.

Neos are available at Mt View Sports and other places. They're the same thing as Sourdough Slippers @ Barney's but the Sourdough Slippers are heavier duty. Not much heavier, either. My size 13 Lowa's fit into the XL size and there's no space to spare.

Default neos

I own the sourdough slipper in XL... They fit over my size 13 Scarpa boots...

I just recently purchased a pair of NEOS insulated Navigator 5 "stabilicer" over boots.

I can give both a glowing recommendations. Well built, comparatively light and a great feel.

I purchased the soudough at Barney's and the over boot from campmor...

If weight is an issue you may wish to check out the Wiggy overboots.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Produ...TOKEN=37188103

They aren't as durable as the other overboots that have been recommended but are significantly lighter. I would only use them to cross streams and not for extended walking.

I'll second the wiggy's waders. VERY light, maybe a few ounces each. Durable enough that after about a dozen stream crossings they still look new. They are only for crossing the stream, not for extended walking at all. I think they are about $60 so they are cheaper than the other brands.

A friend of mine uses contractor bags. I'm not too sure about that, but that is about as cheap and light as it gets.

Default Rubber bands and good rain pants -

and before I get flamed, check this out: http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_FAQ.html

What works probably depends a lot on conditions, but a short segment from Buck Nelson's 1,000 miles (or the other 700 mile DVD) across Alaska DVD shows how he sealed his rain pants to his boots for some crossings. His trip planned for shallow (only) crossings along the Continental Divide, not something most could count on. Interesting idea for "...alot of crossing of knee-ish deep stuff but like to wear leather hiking boots instead of hip boots" maybe. Another niche solution.

I've done the "duct tape rain pants to the bunny boots thing" alot running sled dogs through overflow and it does work...for awhile anyway. I check ed at Barneys today while I was in town and he does not have any more glacier socks until spring. I will look into the neos type overboots a little more, although the contractor bag idea may actually work for what I am doing most of the time....thanks for the info

For what it's worth, Sourdough Slippers ARE Neos. They're made by Neos and come in the same exact box as Neos from My View. Bob apparently has his version made with a heavier fabric and in a darker color. I've ended up with a pair of both. Neos for shoes and Sourdough Slippers for my hunting boots. Neos weigh just a tiny bit less (an ounce or two) and are a little easier to roll up into a small package.