Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose down, truck down.

Default Moose down, truck down.

Well I finally made it back from my Delta 799 cow hunt. I hunted part of the day on Sat. where a friend told me to try and only saw a cow w/calf tracks. So in the afternoon I struck out on my own and found a gravel pit with a ton of tracks around it. I was able to climb the dirt piles, set up a little seat and see for 200 yards all around and into the brush much better. The day ended with the sighting of a cow w/calf and that was it.

On Sunday I returned to the same area. As I got almost to the gravel pit I noticed two moose in the access road so I pulled over, grabbed the bow and tried to act like a bull and approach them. They obviously knew the trick and wandered into the woods. I followed and was a little startled. I walked into a 24” bull, a spike fork, and a cow w/calf, and a 2-year old cow. I got within 10 yards of the bulls and 20 yards of the biggest cow that was with calf. Then they busted out. As I made it back out to the access road there was a 50” bull now in the road chasing after the cow w/calf. So I grabbed my coat and tried to cut them off in a clearing I knew of. I made it within 56 yards of the 2 year old but she did not offer a shot and everyone busted out again. Returning to the truck I ran into another cow and tried the bow over the head trick. Busted again.

I decided to move 2 roads over where at the end of the roads there was some clear-cut brush I knew of and there was a trail. On the way there I saw another cow cross the road. As I parked the truck, 70 yards away was another cow standing on another access road to the gravel pit. I approached to within 30 yards but some brush prevented an ethical shot. The wind was picking up so I moved back to the trail near the truck. All the cows were moaning and I could hear them off about 70 yards away in the woods. I waited and finally the big cow w/calf stepped out at 26 yards. Perfect shot but she kept looking back so I waited, 1, 2, 3 minutes… finally a calf stepped out. Then a spike fork stepped out at 74 yards, the 2-year old and then the 50” bull came out. The spike crossed the clear-cut into woods. Then the calf appeared doing the same. The 50” bull was at 26 yards offering a perfect shot. The biggest cow was at 27 yards offering a perfect opportunity. She started feeding my way and made it to within 7-10 yards from me. The calf then returned into the clear-cut at about 32 yards. I was getting a little nervous because the cow had charged me before on the first attempt. Then, at the exact spot that the cow was at 27 yards, the two year old stepped out, and turned sideways.

The bow came up, the pin settled in and I never remember releasing the arrow. But I kept my arm up long enough to notice the white fletching burying perfectly into the lungs, the foam squirting out and the cow reacting. At this point the remaining four moose near me busted out taking the cow with them. I returned to the truck and called the girl friend in excitement.

I knew that my 72-pound BowTech, Carbon Express Rebel Hunter tipped with a Magnus Snuffer SS was going to do the job where I had placed the arrow. And yes, 15 minutes latter, there was the cow, only 30 feet from where I had shot her. I latter found the arrow, 20 feet on the opposite side of her buried halfway up the shaft in the forest floor in perfect condition. A complete pass-through, double lung harvested moose.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Part II

It took about 1-½ hours for me to process the animal and bring everything out to the truck. Now for a change of clothes, lunch and head home.

I was going down the Richardson Hwy. near Donnelly Dome following another truck. There was a dusting of snow on the road so I was about 300 yards behind. The truck ahead of me tried to turn into a side road but went past it. I never knew but he skidded past it. As he put on his backup lights I swung into the left lane to go around at about 30-35 mph. I then started to come back into the proper lane and the truck just went straight. I gritted my teeth, hung on and waited. The truck rolled 1-2 time going down the bank about 20 feet and landed upright in the tundra. Blood in my face, the cab almost crushed (the Honda Rancher in the back stopped the cab from crushing) I was a little shaken up. The driver of the truck let me into his vehicle as I waited for the ambulance to take me back to Delta. A new medical term enters my mind now; “If I push and you feel any crunching in your face let me know.” Not my favorite medical term. I only have some scrapes on my face. Injuries, a large bump on my right leg this morning, several welts on the right side of my head and a lot of very stiff parts. Truck is totaled; ATV has yet to be checked. I spent the night in Delta as a friend (Bob is a true Alaskan friend) from Valdez came to pick me up. He wasn’t too fond of taking someone with a head injury back down the Richardson at night so we stayed in a hotel Sunday night.

Back home now, recovering, finding everything that was in the totes, toolbox, and hunting gear that was thrown all over the place.

The pictures aren’t very good. I could only back out a few feet as there little spruce everywhere. Three draw tags and I finally succeeded in my first moose with the bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default OOOOOPs

Congrats on a nice moose! Sorry to here about the auto accident. Hope everything works out !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

COngrats on the freezer full of moose, sorry to hear about the truck, but glad to hear that you made it out okay. It could make for some interesting coversation with your students: "You should see what the other guy looks like!"
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow dave, glad to hear your okay...congrats on the moose... sounds like your still more stoked about it then wrecking the the truck.. I hope it all works out ok for you..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Glad to hear you survived!! Sorry about your misfortune, my friend was just telling me about the truck that had rolled up there and then I log on to find it's one of our own!

Sorry about the wild ride but great story

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Blood in my face, the cab almost crushed (the Honda Rancher in the back stopped the cab from crushing) I was a little shaken up.
    A little shaken up??? Geez, I would of been a wreck!! Glad to know you made it home safe. Congrats on the moose.

Congrats on the moose Dave!!!
    You earned it!!!!!!!!!!!
    With every bite you take there will be a story......
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Way to stick with it regarding the moose! Well done! Sorry to hear about the truck, but it can be replaced. Just glad that you are OK.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default congrats & regrets

Gee Dave, heck of a way to end a good hunt. Great story on the hunt. Nice to have plenty of moose encounters eh?

Glad your doing ok.

Paul

Congrats on the moose. Glad to here you did not get hurt too bad in the wreck.

Mark

Wow. I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Feeling much better tonight although it still fells like someone wacked me with a 2 x 4 a couple of times. I should be back to work on Thursday if the doctor says Ok tomorrow. The truck may take a bit longer as a new one is in order.

congrats Dave that Moose was well earned.

Great job on the moose Dave, sorry to hear about your rig. Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Dave glad your O.K. and great that you got your moose. Question that I have is was it worth it? Not trying to put a neg. side to this, but would you do it again in the same weather conditions? It dos'nt sound like you were road hunting, but your mishap was caused by one that apparently was. Again congrats on your moose, all the rest of the hunters in the area be mindful about the people around you, it could be anybody, sons, daughters ,moms, dads, friends, or anybody on their way to anch, glenallen, valdez,or just a trip from paxon to delta. Once again Dave I'm glad your O.K. E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Dave glad your O.K. and great that you got your moose. Question that I have is was it worth it? Not trying to put a neg. side to this, but would you do it again in the same weather conditions? It dos'nt sound like you were road hunting, but your mishap was caused by one that apparently was. Again congrats on your moose, all the rest of the hunters in the area be mindful about the people around you, it could be anybody, sons, daughters ,moms, dads, friends, or anybody on their way to anch, glenallen, valdez,or just a trip from paxon to delta. Once again Dave I'm glad your O.K. E.S.
    His story made it pretty clear that the guy who stopped in front of him only missed a turn and wasn't "road hunting". The accident happend on the Richardson HWY which doesn't have a moose hunt near it. The guy just missed his turn cause it was icy, it is arguable that the guy should have not reversed on the road but honestly it is fairly remote stretch of AK.
    As to whether or not it was worth it that is up to Dave to answer, I did notice that the story of the hunt was twice as long as the one of the accident, and his description of the arrow finding its mark was far more detailed than that of the vehicle tumbling off the road.
    As to the weather I don't think too many of us expected crummy weather going into the weekend I was supposed to be up there but had other obligations. Besides if you only go out in fair weather then enjoy your three days in the outdoors a year up here!

Default Hunt

The truck in front of me was not road hunting. He already had his moose and was returning home too. I don't blame him, just stating what happened. Unless you got out of your vehicle and moved the snow to see what the road condition was, neither he nor I would have known the conditions.

The weather was not bad when I went up and the snow on the return was only a little fluffy stuff. It was hot enough on Sat. to probably melt some snow which turned to ice after nightfall. The fluff on top hid the problem and probably contributed to the loss of friction. It was more of a visibility problem than a concern for snow. We certainly get our share in Valdez and I have driven on snow all my life.

As for the hunt: I have already spent two years of trying to harvest a moose in the Fairbanks Management area without success. With the number of moose I saw, the close experiences, it was certainly worth the effort. Loosing the truck was just a matter of "crap happening" as it does in every day life.

The flight of the arrow, striking perfectly in the chosen spot, the animal harvested as humanly as possible, the physical ability to harvest the meat by myself and the satisfaction that I did the best I could... yea, it has been worth it for all my 40+ years of bowhunting.

I am already packing for a whitetail hunt over Thanksgiving.

Lujon, glad you can respect our three days of summer up here. And Dave I was not implying the the truck in front of you was road hunting, I did'nt even get in your first post where he was. But by your own admission the guy was hunting in the area, and had already got his moose Did it happen on the flats? - or did it happen on the curves on either side of the flats. Again I'm glad your O.K., and all I'm saying is to the hunters that are hunting in the area, dang just be careful. The paxon side of the flats is a dangerous piece of Hwy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast