Thread: Need "Boat in a Bag" Recommendation

Default Need "Boat in a Bag" Recommendation

Gents,

I have been studying here for awhile and the past posts have given me a number of great ideas but I am still a bit uncertain as to what to get. Here's the input:

Gonna take a 6-8 week vacation in BC and Alaska next summer.

Have lived/fished in BC when I was younger and am pretty well familiar with the truly great outdoors and associated risks....now 59 and vigorous...Wife is my age and about as big as a bug....not real strong.

Will be taking crew cab truck and camper...plan to carry "BIB/motor" in the crew cab second seat area.

Would like a "boat in a bag" that has quick set-up, not too heavy, very stable, capable of being rowed, capable of using a small motor....need it for fishing and exploring...pretty much all flatwater... no intention of doing rivers unless they are broad and easy.

Would intend to camp someplace....set up....fish & explore.... tear down and move on the next day....or the day after.

Already rec'd great input on the Ally canoe....been surfing and see what y'all are saying about the Aire Traveler....Not adverse to a "rowable" raft.

Your thoughts please...

Thanks,

Slim

aka Dave in Denver

Others will probably have better ideas, but I'm thinking something like a 12' Zodiac (type) boat with inflatable keel & beach launching wheels. Go just about anywhere & can be rowed.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default traveler

I own a aire traveler. Just like what you are going to be doing, I live in a RV during the summer. Here are the pros= The traveler is compact (will fit in a large rubbermaid box), light weight (probally 65lbs when it is wet), and very durable. It rows well and can be paddled fairly well (not nearly as good as a canoe). I run a 2hp wich seems to push it at about 8mph with 400lbs. It is very stable. Can easily carry a thousand pounds. Cons= I have not seen a good rowing frame or engine mount for it. (I made my own). It can not go up stream in shallow rivers.
    If I were buying a new raft today for the same purpose I would look seriously at the new aire power traveler or grabner (there may be others). For the space that you and I have I would try to avoid zodiacs. I included a picture of my rowing frame and engine mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slow reflection; 10-14-2008 at 11:20. Reason: ad more

Default question for slow reflection

How well does the aire traveler paddle solo? Can you paddle efficiently with a two bladed kayak style?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    How well does the aire traveler paddle solo? Can you paddle efficiently with a two bladed kayak style?
    with a long kayak paddle..... maybe. The tubes are much larger dia and the boat is wider than a inflateable kayak so it is not a great paddler. I use mine wth oars mostly.

might an Alpacka raft be too small for you guys? one for each of course.

Love the Ally canoe. Been on 30+ days of Alaska float trips with it. Great canoe and incredibly durable. But if you are going alone, I would suggest an inflattable. The Ally, while possible, would be difficult for one person to assemble. With two people, it takes about 20-25 minutes. Piece of cake. But alone, not so sure. Below are some pictures of our Ally recent float trips. Three in NW Alaska and one (the Goodnews) in SW Alaska.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

that a look at this...http://www.adventuresports.com/kayaks/soar/faq.htm i don't know much about inflatable boats.. but i met a gent yesterday and helped him pack his up.. he does guided tours up in the brooks.. says they are nearly indestructible.. the large one he had would carry 1000lbs.. and the single 600lbs... and about 100 times more stable then canoes of equal size

BTW.... the large one weighed about 100lb in its bag with the seats and all packed
    Last edited by Vince; 10-26-2008 at 16:44. Reason: added line
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The SOARs have a very good reputation among inflattable canoes. Like everything else, it just depends on your intended usage. There are pros/cons to inflattable canoes, pack canoes like the Ally, or full sized rafts.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Folbot? No way to rig a motor, I guess?

Default Hmmm....

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback and pm's...

It's looking like an inflatable for us right now. I've pretty much ruled out the canoe types as not be good for us as the wife will not be much help on the paddling and I think I will use oars or a motor quite a bit of the time.

Leading product is now a Grabner Speed with a 2 hp Honda.

Will call the SOAR folks later this week or maybe next week.

May reconsider a Porte-Bote ......

Thanks,

Slim

If you are driving the whole trip and not flying up and renting a car, below is something that may interest you.

http://www.porta-bote.com/14pb.htm

you may already have this information, but if not...

grabner sells directly to US customers. you can contact their sales rep:

elfriede.bramauer@grabner-sports.at

http://www.grabner-sports.at/_old/index.php?id=17&L=2

they've told me that they only charge 15Euros for shipping. (not sure i believe that.) if you do decide to buy directly please post back and let us know how it went.

-g

Default another consideration

I haven't used them but have heard alot of great reviews on them and they may fit the bill a little better for you and might be worth the look.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

Default Grabner/Aire

I own both the Grabner Power and an Aire Traveler. I put a 3.5 on the power and can go wherever I want. It's a great boat and I would recommend getting the backpack storage bag. It gives you tons of flexibility if you want to work a little and get off of the road. The Aire is a great boat as well...more stable, bigger capacity, but once I built a motor mount and tried it under power I decided to get the Grabner. The Aire is a bit cheaper and can be pushed around flat water and down stream with an after market motor mount. I have a buddy that has the rowing frame on his Traveler and he fishes while his wife takes them down river.

Have Fun
    Brian

Default Update - Choice is made but $ are high!

Gents,

Thanks for the advice.... My choice is the Grabner Speed. Put my trolling motor or a Honda 2 hp on it. Getting a quote on it next week. Not sure I can go the price. We'll see.

Thanks,

Slim

Slim Wallet,
    If you find the price of the grabners to a be a little too much money, you could always buy a small scott canoe. They make a 16 foot freighter that would be easy to store on top of your truck. If your camper isnt the type that slides into your truck bed you could always build a utility rack with a couple buddies where you could store the canoe on top of your truck. It isnt hard at all for one man to load/unload the 16 ft. scott canoe on top of the utility rack. The 16 ft is rated for a 4 or 6 horse motor and could still easily be paddled. I think that makobe would be perfect for you and your wife. I dont know........this is the "canoe" side of things, maybe I'm just a little weird for being bias towards the canoe. Here is the link:

http://www.scottcanoe.com/1_canoes/makobe.html

isnt that the nicest little boat you've ever seen?

Default Made a Choice

Gents,

Thanks for all the advice. I think the Grabner Speed is the best of the bunch for my needs but I just couldn't come to grips with spending that much money.

So, the choice came down to a SOAR 14' inflatable canoe or the Sea Eagle 9 ....(thanks to those who pm'd me)

It was a bit of a tough decision as the two choices are a bit different but since I am old and spending my children's inheritance, I went with the SOAR 14'. I think this will be a bit easier if I have to row very much than the Sea Eagle.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.....We plan to leave June 25th.

Slim

The SOAR will serve you well I am sure. Glad you did not get the Sea Eagle. Have fun and be sure to post a trip report (with pictures) when you return