Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? for you die hard sheep hunters

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default ??? for you die hard sheep hunters

What is your average shot distance on the sheep you have taken. also if you have any advice for a first time sheep hunter that would also be appreciated. thanks for the help.

Oddly enough, my average shot has been under 100 yards. My first sheep was about 350 yards (maybe closer to 400), but every sheep since has been under 50 yards due to dumb luck.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

somewhere between 50-400 yards Sounds like a smart a-- answer but in my experience you have to be prepared for the unexpected...similar to most hunts I imagine. My sheep have been at 240, 250, 90, 330 yards- give or take.

Default Ram kill distances..

Counting this years client kill, I have now watched 27 rams tip over. Shooting range has been as close as 30 yards, and as far as 358. Most shots are at around 200 +- yards. Myself, my friends, and my client-hunters are all rifle hunters. I could often have got us closer to the rams, but at 200 yards, those vital-areas of these easy-to-kill rams start looking quite large in a rifles optics. So why get closer and risk bumbing the target? At 200+- yards it is pretty easy to lay prone on the hillside with the rifle elevated a few inched by being on my backpack. Eat a candy bar and drink some water or gaterade. Let your heart beat slow down from the climb and excitement. In a few minutes or a few hours Mr Ram stands up and....BOOM. It will be a good death.

Although I have twice shot rams past 350 yards, I do not recommend it. All too often,too many bad things can happen when shooting at those longer ranges, especially if the target is moving. When bad things happen (poor shooting) at long range the ram will probably still die, but it will be a bad death.

So while I, my friends, and my client-hunters can get closer, the ram is generally dead at about 200 yards. Now during the summer scouting months I do advise sheep hunters to climb high and practice stalking and interacting with rams. It is shocking how close you can sometimes get. It is strange how the rams will often "simply accept you" and carry on their nornal day to day sheep activities. And when watching a group of rams at 50 yards for 6 hours you will learn alot about their behavior. And you will learn how to judge legal full curl horns, and you will learn how hard it is to judge their age by their horn growth annuli when they are in the upright, alive positions.

So my advise would be to read the Tony Russ book, Sheep Hunting In Alaska, twice. Work out in a gym during this winter. Then hike, climb and scramble like crazy in May, June and July to get into "sheep-shape" and to become familiar with ram country. Long, tough, weekend hikes will also help you develope the mental toughness and persistence each of us needs to consistently harvest rams. Practice shooting any flat shooting rifle out to 300 yards. Don't shoot sheep past 300 yards. Go and spend some time at your favorite taxidermist studio and learn how to properly skin and cape sheep (and bears). (Or don't learn so you can screw-up your first sheep.)

Following a candy bar and a bottle of gaterade, squeeze off a perfect triger-pull and shot, just like at the rifle range, at a broadside target. Following the double lung death of your ram, don't jump around acting foolish. Act like you have hunted and killed before. Then take good close-up pictures of the happiest hunter with the greatest trophy in Alaska.

The ram will be dead. You will be alive...more alive than at any other moment in your life! You win!

Dennis B.
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service (AK TAGS)

Default Shots at Sheep

Now that was well said by a true guide. Thanks Dennis.

Default distance

closest 12 yards furthest 500+. I DO NOT like shooting over 300 yards like Dennis B. states, but once in awhile there just isn't another option. Be prepared for anything.

50-175 yards.

23yards and 162 yards, if I recall correctly.

Nearest 75 yds (est.), furtherest 465 yds (laser). I shoot a lot pretty much year round and will take a 300 yd shot at an immobile target from a good rest without a second thought. I don't hunt with a rifle that is not at least MOA for five shot groups...which I find is not as easy as some make it sound. I zero my rifles for either 250 or 300 yds and carry the external ballistic data for out to 500 yds for level, 15, 30 and 45 degrees elevation on my person. I tried memorizing the holds at 25 yd intervals for all of the above and found I was always unsure for angled shots >300 yds when it came time to squeeze the trigger. I hand load all my ammo. As a side note, if I do not shoot for 4 to 6 weeks there is a measurable decrement in my accuracy with known loads and proven rifles.

Talking only two

2006 - 396 yards (laser)
    2007 - ~30 yards (dumb luck)
    2008 - no luck, no laser, no rams!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default 25 feet!

About 25 feet. Seem em coming on a far mountain. Laid in trail for nearly 2 hours waiting. So much for practicing at the range at 500 yards all summer...... Took him with a .270 short mag. .... Oh, I just noticed... we aren't supposed to jump around and be excited after the shot?? Guess I blew that one! I didn't know NFL rules were applied!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

2004 - 300 yds (pre-rangefinder)
    2005 - 200 yds (pre-rangefinder)
    since then - got a rangefinder but no ram!

Default Sheep Ranges

I've been guiding 25yrs (still at it) and have seen a action in all the mountain ranges. While a few have been taken at 25yds the typical shot is between 125yds and 200yds. 5 rams were taken in the 500yd area by hunter with super accurate rifles and great shooters. 1 ram was lost in all that time and that was due to my not doping the wind correctly and the ram ending up in a crevasse.

The 300 mag (any) is pretty close to the ideal Alaskan sheep rig, that being said I'll be hunting (not guiding} with my 257 Roberts.
    I tend to use more than enough gun

Default Advise or guidance????

OK trophy ram shooting team....all of us have told forum poster mac87 about our astonishing short shots and our incredible (but not miracle) long shot kills. His original question also asked if we could include any advise or guidance to assist him in joining the fraternity of ram killers. What golden nuggets of sheep hunting wisdom or advise can each of us add to further guide him.

(Note that I have enjoyed the PMs sent to me from some of you concerning my previous post/info/opinions. A few really enjoyed my previous post. A few really had issues with the information/opinions. Man, we really live in a fantastic Alaska, a great world!!!)

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Guidance

Your right Att

I'll sleep on it and post tomorrow evening.
    I tend to use more than enough gun

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

wow thanks for all the info. now that being all said i shoot a 270. i am very good with it and am not worried about taking a 400 yard shot, have done it on coyotes, but lets face it a big ram aint no dang yote. so how far would you shoot, and what type of bullet/weight should i be looking at. Again thanks for all the help full info. i cant wait for next august to get here.

Well I've yet to kill a sheep sotake my advice for what it worth, but every successful sheep hunter I know has had one piece of advice in common. Get in shape, get in shape, get in shape. And then when you think you are in shape, get in better shape.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Advice (as it pertains to shooting) - Be patient on the stalk. Sheep are not as difficult to get close to as some would lead you to believe. If you are patient, you can almost always get to within 200 yards of a sheep. In the swirling winds of the high alpine, even the best shot can be thrown off over a distance of over 300 yards. I've had stalks last 5 hours where I covered only a couple hundred yards, but that patience led to a good kill instead of a risky shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Be patient on the stalk. Sheep are not as difficult to get close to as some would lead you to believe. If you are patient, you can almost always get to within 200 yards of a sheep.
    Truer words have never been spoken. I just wish I could always heed them!

Default avg

420 on the first and about 40 on the second. Will let you know how far on the third one in 2010!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast